Square Enix have announced Yoko Taro’s action game NieR: Automata has sold over 5.5 million copies on its 4th anniversary.
A mere month after the game’s launch in 2017, it achieved 1 million global shipments. Sales saw a steady and continuous rise [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6], with the previous total being 5 million at the end of December 2020.
Now the NieR series Japanese Twitter account has confirmed the game has sold over 5.5 million copies as of February 23rd, just in time for the game’s 4th anniversary.
The series popularity saw the game crossover with Final Fantasy XIV [1, 2], and even led to a little outcry when the 2B costume for characters had its enlarged buttocks removed. It was returned to form in a subsequent patch.
You can find the full rundown (via Steam) below.
NieR: Automata tells the story of androids 2B, 9S and A2 and their battle to reclaim the machine-driven dystopia overrun by powerful machines.
Humanity has been driven from the Earth by mechanical beings from another world. In a final effort to take back the planet, the human resistance sends a force of android soldiers to destroy the invaders. Now, a war between machines and androids rages on… A war that could soon unveil a long-forgotten truth of the world.
- Action-Packed Battles – Players will switch between using melee and ranged attacks in battle against hordes of enemies and challenging bosses across a variety of open field maps. The tight controls and incredibly fluid combat are simple to learn for newcomers while offering plenty of depth for more experienced action gamers. Players can perform high-speed battle actions—combining light and heavy attacks—and switch through an arsenal of weaponry while evading enemies with speed and style.
- Beautifully Desolate Open-World – The game seamlessly joins together hauntingly beautiful vistas and locations with no area loading. The environments are rendered in 60fps and contain a wealth of sub-events in addition to the main storyline.
- Masterfully Crafted Story and Characters – NieR: Automata tells the story of androids 2B, 9S and A2 and their ferocious battle to reclaim a machine-driven dystopia overrun by powerful weapons known as machine lifeforms.
- Elements of an RPG – Players will obtain a variety of weapon types, level up in battle, learn new combat skills, and customise a loadout that caters to their playstyle.
- Utilise the Pod Support System to Assist In and Outside of Battle – Pods can attack the enemy in both manual and lock-on modes. They can also assist outside of battle, such as allowing the player to glide through the air. Pods can be enhanced throughout the game, with upgrades including new attack methods and variations.
- “Auto Mode” Available for Beginners – Novice players can elect “Auto Mode” for easy attacks and evasions.
In recent news, the game’s final secret has been uncovered almost four years after launch, and teased by director Yoko Taro one year after launch. A biographical manga based on the life his life has also been announced; as part of the Game Creators of Biography series.
NieR: Automata is available on Windows PC (via Steam), PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. In case you missed it, you can find our review here. We highly recommend it! In fact it was our Game of the Year 2017, and our Community Game of the Year 2017.