The Niche Gamer Community 2017 GOTY is NieR: Automata

We held our first community voted game of the year poll, and following a month of voting and debating – the results are now in.

While there were a ton of amazing games this year, the overall winner for the Niche Gamer community game of the year is – NieR: Automata. Another excellent game, Persona 5, came in second place. All of the mentioned games are excellent and worthy of your time.

Here’s a breakdown of the order in which each game was voted for:

1. NieR: Automata
  2. Persona 5
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  4. Super Mario Odyssey
  5. Divinity: Original Sin 2
  6. Cuphead
  7. Yakuza 0 / Yakuza Kiwami
  8. Gravity Rush 2
  9. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  10. Sonic Mania
  11. Nioh
  12. Ruiner
  13. SteamWorld Dig 2

The game’s creator and mastermind, Taro Yoko, also thanked our community! “Thank you Niche Gamer Community :)” Yoko said in a tweet.

Our staff voted on their own personal game of the year as well – NieR: Automata won in that poll too! Did you vote in our community game of the year poll? If so, what game did you vote for? Are you happy with the outcome?

Moving forward, we really want to know what kind of approach you want us to take with game of the year type stuff moving forward – should we have an entry for each genre, voice acting, and so on. Please sound off in the comments below with what you’d like to see in our 2018 GOTY awards.

January 1, 2018 at 5:27 pm

The list of nominated games is a testament of what great year it was for gaming. My personal GOTY is Gravity Rush 2.

2. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    January 1, 2018 at 6:25 pm

Glad to see Divinity OS 2 getting into the top 5. Though I still think Hollow Knight deserved a spot as well.

3. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    January 1, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Not to mention there are plenty of other greats that didn’t make the list, like Hollow Knight and A Hat in Time.

4. Chris Mendivil
    Chris Mendivil
    January 1, 2018 at 9:23 pm

Existentialism, super slick Platinum action and thick android booty is a pretty fair choice. Nioh is higher on my personal list but they’re all great games.

5. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 1, 2018 at 11:47 pm

I’m constantly debating whether I preferred it or Persona 5 more, though they’re only fighting for #2 to me. I mean, I’m still playing Sonic Mania, course that beautiful thing is my #1.

6. Ebicentre
    Ebicentre
    January 2, 2018 at 1:20 am

Redundancy Department of Redundancy.

But anyway, like I said in the original GOTY poll article, a ranking system would be a good way to gauge people’s preferences. So for example, from 1 to 10, I vote:

1. NieR
    2. P5
    3. Zelda

Et cetera, et cetera. And I do this for all games by ranking them in the order I liked them.

Alternatively, you can offer people the chance to vote for three of their favourite games, so then it becomes less of a popularity contest and more about carefully choosing your votes. I would also like to have boxes where I can write my reasons for voting the games I voted for, since this would give you a qualitative collection of information that can be used in the article to give an overview of people’s general opinions about a game.

Congratulations to NieR:Automata, by the way – I was one of its voters, and could’ve easily picked Persona 5 instead.

7. iswear12
    iswear12
    January 2, 2018 at 1:58 am

Reeeeee no Hollow Knight
    good list overall.

8. Shattno
    Shattno
    January 2, 2018 at 7:38 am

That’s one hell of a list, it’s been a really good year. It’s sad Hollow Knight didn’t make the list tho, as it’s my personal GOTY.

9. GuyGuysonEsquire
    GuyGuysonEsquire
    January 2, 2018 at 12:32 pm

I don’t care that Hollow Knight isn’t on the list, it’s my GOTY 2017 and that all that matters.

10. MILFlover
    MILFlover
    January 3, 2018 at 9:25 am

Beat the first Nier a few weeks ago it was amazing. Just got automata for my PS4 let’s see how it compares.