WildStar Team Hiring for New Project

We’ve learned (via MassivelyOP) that WildStar developer Carbine Studios are hiring for a new project.

The news comes via new job listings from the developer for an entirely new game, and they include various roles like concept art, tools engineering, graphics engineering, combat design, and more.

NCSoft is the parent company for Carbine Studios, so we’ll probably be hearing about this new game at some point from the publisher. Back in 2015, Wildstar went entirely free-to-play, and received a host of upgrades to its performance and gameplay.

Until then, sound off in the comments below with your hopes and expectations for a new game from Carbine. Will it be another MMORPG? A shooter?

1. MT Silver
    MT Silver
    April 19, 2017 at 11:51 am

Good. I was worried they were going bankrupt.

2. Andrew Krasy
    Andrew Krasy
    April 19, 2017 at 11:55 am

I wonder if they learned anything.

3. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    April 19, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Didn’t Wildstar fail miserably? And seems like I remember it being one of those games that a lot of people were hyped for.

4. Anonymoose
    Anonymoose
    April 19, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Yes. It looked interesting, but in the end it wasted all potential and became a buggy, unbalanced, theme park.

5. Eldhin Hellknight
    Eldhin Hellknight
    April 19, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Well, hopefully their next game wont be as shitty as wildstar

6. STARSBarry
    STARSBarry
    April 19, 2017 at 1:41 pm

itl be an overwatch rip off calling it now.

7. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    April 19, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Tried it a bit.It had a few cool ideas but I lost interest in it quite fast.

8. Eden
    Eden
    April 19, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Overwatch is the SJW Team Fortress. I’m perfectly fine with any game that comes out to knock that idiotic game off the pedestal it doesn’t even deserve.

9. Eden
    Eden
    April 19, 2017 at 7:57 pm

They should keep the unique world they built and just make a game with a great story and fun gameplay and little to no bugs and they’re good to go.

10. Pandaclysm
    Pandaclysm
    April 19, 2017 at 9:04 pm

This is a post about a post? Great scoop.

11. Kei
    Kei
    April 20, 2017 at 12:46 am

Carbine has money to hire people? In any case, what I’ve heard about upper management there hasn’t been good, so I have little faith in whatever new project they might embark on.

12. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    April 20, 2017 at 12:22 pm

The hit boxes are a mile wide as well. It got the pedestal by specifically pandering to the casual & dilettante (hipster) audience.
    It’s a shame because the character designs & concepts are interesting- if only it wasn’t built out of a diversity check list.
    Same with the gameplay- fantastic concept not taken further or made challenging + balanced enough.

13. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    April 20, 2017 at 12:22 pm

I loved the look of the characters in it (from trailers) which is a shame.
    Hell, if they made a “proper” RPG set in the same universe I’d be interested at least.

14. AnarKreig
    AnarKreig
    April 21, 2017 at 3:34 am

Character designs and concepts are interesting? Dude, what the actual fuck? That’s the biggest put-off of the actual game. Characters look like they were designed by gradschoolers. There’s no synergy of colors, there’s a fuckton of unnecessary details on the characters, you look at one and ask ‘what the fuck’s that on their stuff?’ and there’s simply no response, because the Blizzard school of design is to “simply add shit, to have shit’. Just compare vanilla TF2 characters to that of Overwatch, and you’ll simply see what fuckin’ amateurs they really are.

And ontop of that, their dialogue is grating. It’s a whole lot of nothing. I get that it’s hip to have poorly made stereotype characters with superficial backstories just to lure in the cretins that fall for this garbage marketing. In actuality, they’re just spewing memes. It’s all ‘HEY, FELLOW KIDS, WE’RE HIP’.

15. AnarKreig
    AnarKreig
    April 21, 2017 at 3:44 am

The game had a surprising amount of lore, and they could easily make an RPG set in that universe. I’d play it.

16. Andrew Krasy
    Andrew Krasy
    April 21, 2017 at 6:38 pm

>Characters look like they were designed by gradschoolers.

You’re thinking of Battleborn.

Also you’re generally an idiot.

17. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    April 22, 2017 at 1:53 pm

I’ll certainly agree with you on dialogue (Tracer’s VA is a travesty), and I didn’t mean to imply their personalities were any more than 2D.

But yeah, now you mention it, their physical designs are a bit busy.

18. GraduateAnalyst
    GraduateAnalyst
    May 16, 2017 at 4:38 pm

It went F2P too late and doesn’t have the Blizzard brand name to succeed with $15/mo sub, nor a large enough community to support endgame that isn’t solo friendly.

I stuck around for a while soloing most rare mobs/world bosses as a decked out absorbtion stalker tank and had fun collecting housing decorations and visiting various others to complete the mini games I couldn’t fit on mine for prizes (my favorite player housing in a long time).

Hardcore MMOs are a thing of the past because people just don’t have the time or scheduling capabilities to make it fun and profitable. There needs to be healthy balance between casual and hardcore with rewards significant enough to keep the majority player base around. When pickup groups take too long to farm or the content relies too much on researching encounters on the internet, then people simply wont stick around, PERIOD.

I was in Coup up until it basically disbanded in Lich King and we were always in the top 30~ (and always server first) to down various raids including MC, BWL, the gates of AQ war effort event, AQ20, AQ40, and the first half of BC, then horde Broken came about and we started breaking up because of the whole transition from 40 to 25.

It also just stopped being fun. The game felt more like a job/chore than something fun. I couldn’t explore and look at things because I had to spend every moment farming ingredients, gold for repairs, etc. I would have kept doing it if it had not broken up, but when I started playing casually I noticed I was less stressed, having more fun, etc (even though I only play wow for about 3-4 months each expansion now to see new stuff/story).

I will never commit to a Hardcore MMO that isn’t casual friendly ever again. That shit is toxic