WildStar is Going Free-to-Play on September 29

Previously, we learned that MMORPG WildStar was going free-to-play sometime this fall. Now, developer Carbine Studios has confirmed the date when the game will be making that transition to being free.

WildStar will become free-to-play on September 29th. The game will also get its biggest update yet on that date, which includes new content, redone stats and loot systems, and lots of quality-of-life improvements to the MMORPG.

A closed beta for the new free-to-play model is still ongoing, with a second phase set to hit soon.

1. Nani Sore
    Nani Sore
    September 3, 2015 at 10:53 am

gasp …who could have seen that coming.

2. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    September 3, 2015 at 12:12 pm

People were saying it was going to be F2P over a year ago (sort of replacing “it’s gonna be shut down soon”).

I liked the style of the game. So I wonder if selling special costume bits will be enough to keep them ticking over, and keep the people playing.

I’m hoping the game will improve, but apparently the core of the game isn’t great (too complicated to unlock end-game content apparently.)

3. Misogynerd
    Misogynerd
    September 3, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Unless you are WoW or FF14, don’t try a subscription service, I thought this was common knowledge. Also I’m sure that update will make things drop less XP, loot and other resources.

September 3, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Lasted longer than elderscrolls

5. dogmentation
    dogmentation
    September 3, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Isn’t “going F2P” usually the death rattle for MMOs? It might as well be a euphemism at this point.

6. Ms_Fortune
    Ms_Fortune
    September 3, 2015 at 2:17 pm

I love that as someone who owned the game practically since launch, I don’t get shit for the F2P conversion, I only get something if I have an active sub when the conversion happens.

So fuck you Carbine.

7. Cytos Lpagtr
    Cytos Lpagtr
    September 3, 2015 at 5:00 pm

seems like i get to collect some bet winnings

8. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    September 3, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Definitely a bad sign for the long term. It does help an MMO have a few more years of borrowed time but eventually the well will run dry as interest in the games will drop enough where they will kill it off completely. Not sure why companies still try to do a subscription MMO when WoW and FFXIV offer true value for the money they ask.

9. Ellen J Miller
    Ellen J Miller
    September 3, 2015 at 10:48 pm

After City of Heroes, I made a vow never to play another NCSoft-published game.

10. drgambit
    drgambit
    September 9, 2015 at 9:36 pm

I can remember when carbine bragged about this being sub, and then had the gall to also push the bullshit CREDD currency as an ‘alternate’. I want this game to die.