Microsoft have revealed more details of the Xbox Series X’ Smart Delivery system, and some titles that will utilize it.
The blog post on Xbox Wire, written by Will Tuttle, explains more about the previously revealed Smart Delivery system. In short it “will ensure that you always play the best version of the games you own for your console, across generations.”
Available to all developers, this means certain games bought on Xbox One will get the Xbox Series X version of the game for free (when it launches). This applies to both digital and physical games, should a publisher agree to it.
The blog post listed some example scenarios where players would take advantage of Smart Delivery.
- “If you own Gears 5 or are loving it via Xbox Game Pass now, you can play it today on Xbox One. Then, if you pick up an Xbox Series X this holiday, all it takes is a push of a button to download it and you’ll have the Optimized version of Gears 5 – available on day 1 at launch with the console – at your fingertips.
- When Halo Infinite launches alongside Xbox Series X and Xbox One this holiday, you only have to buy the game once and you’ll get the best version for whichever console you own, or both. If you pick up Xbox Series X for your living room, Smart Delivery will recognize that and deliver you the Optimized version there. If you decide to move your existing Xbox One to a bedroom or the office, Smart Delivery will recognize that too and deliver that version when you’re playing on Xbox One.
- Lastly, some new and existing Xbox One titles will be Optimizing their games after the Xbox Series X launches. For example, if you buy Cyberpunk 2077 when it launches on September 17, you’ll be set to explore Night City on Xbox One. If you pick up Xbox Series X at launch this holiday, you can play it there too in compatibility mode picking up exactly where you left off. Then, when CD PROJEKT RED delivers an Xbox Series X Optimized version of Cyberpunk 2077, you’ll automatically get upgraded once it’s available at no additional cost.”
Smart Delivery will also be enabled for Xbox Game Pass title that utilize it. Further, Smart Pass will keep game progress between the generations.
Finally, a list of games that will be compatible with Smart Pass (and optimized for Xbox Series X) were confirmed- not counting those available through backwards compatibility. This list will continue to grow “in the weeks and months leading up to the Xbox Series X launch.”
The list includes:
- Halo Infinite
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- Destiny 2
- Dirt 5
- Scarlet Nexus
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon
- The Ascent
- Call of the Sea
- Gears 5
- Second Extinction
- Metal: Hellslinger
Xbox Series X launches Holiday 2020.