Publisher Thunderful Games and developer Image & Form Games announced The Gunk is coming to Steam and other stores sometime in spring 2022.
While The Gunk is coming to Steam and other PC storefronts in spring 2022, the game was originally released for Windows PC via the Microsoft Store, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S back in December 2021 – as well as Xbox Game Pass.
Alongside the Steam/etc release is a new Photo Mode, which lets players create and edit their own screenshots with the game’s community. There will also be four more language options added: Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Russian, and Brazilian Portuguese.
Here’s a rundown on the 2020-announced game:
From the creators of the SteamWorld franchise-the action series that tells the tales of steam-driven robot adventures and that has garnered more than100 awards and nominations-comes a completely new game, “The Gunk”. Embark on an all-new adventure in a vast and exotic world where you’ll encounter terrifying enemies and challenging puzzles on your quest to unravel the mystery of a forgotten planet, while saving it in the process.
Save a dying planet from a slimy parasite, and restore it to its exuberant past.
- Take it upon yourself to rid the planet of gunk, salvage what lies beneath… and save its inhabitants.
Master your power glove.
- Absorb the tainting gunk and use it.
- Manipulate the environment and then craft what you find to your advantage.
Fight corrupt monsters…
- Do they have access to gunk? Are they alone or in a pack? Can I use nearby objects – or can they be used against me?
- As nature heals you get access to larger areas of the planet, and can unearth the story behind its demise.
…and take a stand.
- Why did you come here? To save this dying planet… or to strip it of its resources, and then leave?