Filipino indie developer Drix Studios is currently looking to fund their upcoming card-based tactical RPG, Grand Guilds, on Kickstarter.
Grand Guilds is set in the fantasy world of Irin, a continent on the brink of war. You control Eliza, a former captain of the royal guard and current leader of the Lux Deus guild, and her band of loyal guildmates as they travel across Irin to uncover a conspiracy that could bring ruin to the kingdom.
The game’s combat system takes place on grid-based maps like your typical strategy RPG. The main twist is that each character has a customizable deck of cards that represent different skills and abilities they’ll learn throughout the game.
Characters spend Action Points to use cards, but everyone has a special attack independent of their deck to ensure that you’ll always have options in combat. You can view the Kickstarter pitch trailer above.
Drix Studios is asking for a fairly modest $25,000 to help finish up the game, which is already closing in on two years of development. Pledges start at $21 for a digital copy of the game. The game also has a playable demo, which you can grab over on Gamejolt. The campaign ends October 26th.
If everything goes according to plan, the developers hope to have the game out on Windows PC via Steam and GOG by August 2019. They’d like to bring Grand Guilds to PS4, Switch, and Xbox One as well.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Grand Guilds is a story-driven, tactical RPG with unique card combat mechanics. You and your comrades will journey the lands of Irin, a continent on the brink of another war, while engaging in challenging tactical combat. Unveil a mystery that’s plaguing all the guilds of the land.
In combat, each playable character has unique mechanics and abilities that, when combined properly, will make the difference between complete victory or utter defeat.
Will you help Eliza in her struggle to save the beautiful world of Irin?
- Turn-Based Strategy – Learn and master the fundamentals of tactical combat. In Grand Guilds positioning, terrain, and your action points will mean the difference between victory and defeat.
- Card Combat System – A diverse set of skill cards will form the abilities of your units, making every turn more dynamic and each decision more important and meaningful.
- Deck Building – Tailor each character to your playstyle by customizing their skill decks. Obtain powerful new abilities by completing quests or leveling your characters.
- Guild Quests – Embark on challenging, procedural missions that yield exciting rewards. Increase your guild’s reputation to earn bonuses that will aid you in combat.
- Diverse Cast – Each playable character has unique mechanics and abilities that enable them to fill various roles in your squad such as tank, support, and damage dealer.
- Epic Journey – Unravel the mysteries shrouding Irin, a continent on the brink of war. Follow Eliza and her companions as they journey through this vast, magical world.
- Partial Voice Acting – Characters shout out their actions in combat and express their feelings during dialogue using short phrases.