Ubisoft has been struggling lately as they try to make adjustments for the future – Skull and Bones is the latest project to be hit.
The company has released an update detailing their plans for the upcoming 2023-2024 fiscal year, where the long-delayed pirate game Skull and Bones got delayed yet again.
One such important note to make is that Skull and Bones has been delayed yet again into this next time period. Before this, the game was expected to launch on March 9, 2023.
Now Ubisoft says they “decided to postpone its release in order to have more time to showcase a much more polished and balanced experience and to build awareness.”
As such, they’ve now confirmed Skull and Bones will now be released early 2023-24, or in their company’s next fiscal year.
The company admits they have been struggling to make their biggest brands like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, and Ghost Recon, into “long-lasting live games”.
Ubisoft said none of their projects in these live service endeavors have borne fruit. This combines with worsening economic conditions which led them to make some tough decisions.
Most notably, this includes the cancelation of three games that have not been announced to the public. This is on top of the four that were already canceled back in July 2022.
They also shared plans on cutting their costs by a net total of about $200 million, though they remain committed to building live service titles and future big name titles.
It’s hard to put it any other way, but Ubisoft is indeed struggling as a company right now. As a result, it does put into question their future projects such as the upcoming Splinter Cell Remake, which lost its director last year, and the long in development Beyond Good & Evil 2.
This is also assuming that things don’t change for Ubisoft, though Tencent has continued to put an eye on them lately in wanting to acquire more of the company.