It’s time for the third leg of the Sea of Thieves Marauder’s Medley. This time looking back at Tall Tales.
Tall Tales are long story-based adventures that are some of the grandest quests on the Sea of Thieves. However they’re largely forgotten or ignored due to their length, lack of reward, and lack of replayability.
For most pirates, after you get your Gold Curse and other Commendations you can safely put them out of mind. This guide will show you how to complete the event using A Pirate’s Life, the very first Tall Tale in the Pirates of the Carribean crossover story; that way even new players can get started right away.
Tall Tales, Retold
This challenge comes in three parts of varying difficulty, just like the last couple challenges. This time we need to do:
- Bookmarked: Reach a Checkpoint in any Tall Tale.
- The Final Chapter: Complete any Tall Tale.
- The Write Stuff: Discover three journals during any Tall Tale.
Any Tall Tale counts for these challenges, but we’ll be focusing on A Pirate’s Life. New pirates can also do the the Shroudbreaker, The Seabound Soul, or The Heart of Fire if this one doesn’t sound particularly fun.
A Pirate’s Life
Starting the Tall Tale
A Pirate’s Life can be started at any Outpost. In fact, if you click the “A Pirate’s Life” button at the main menu, you’ll spawn right at the Castaway’s Camp where you can start the Tall Tale.
After listening to exposition from The Castaway, you’ll see a glowing spire of light erupting from a rocky outcropping nearby. Sailing into this light will teleport you to The Sea of the Damned where the Tall Tale will take place. The beauty of this Tall Tale is that there’s not really any island hopping and sailing to waste your time.
Once you arrive at your destination after a short cutscene, you’ll get to explore the instanced zone Dead Man’s Grotto. You can’t even be attacked by other ships here so you’re free to explore at your leisure!
A few minutes into this, you’ll likely get your first checkpoint, clearing the first challenge.
Finding the Journals
You only need to find three journals to complete the challenge. We’ll be giving you the locations of all five. Since you’ll probably be finishing the Tall Tale anyways, you may as well get the Commendation for reading all the journals.
- The Haul of a Lifetime: The first journal can be found on the top deck of The Last Stand Tavern which was made from a shipwreck. The journal will be sitting on a table.
- Off the Edge of the Map: Near the Last Stand Tavern is a little gambling den made out of another shipwrecked boat. Inside, you’ll find the second journal next to a chess table.
- Dissent in the Ranks: Walk north from the Cursed Captain’s cage along a wooden path. This will lead you to a shipwreck with the journal inside! You’ll find a closed door in the hull that leads to a bedroom with the journal on the nightstand.
- Strange, Yet Familiar: This journal can be found at the top of the stone lighthouse on a bookcase. You’ll need to progress a few steps into the Tall Tale to access this point, so don’t go looking for it right away!
- Lights Out: Finally, the last journal can be found near the end of the adventure aboard The Golden Hare. You can only access this ship after clearing the steps at the stone lighthouse, so this is another one you’ll have to save for later!
Ending the Tall Tale
It seems a bit backwards to clear the third challenge before the second, but from here all you need to do is finish the Tall Tale! Take your time exploring, A Pirate’s Life is easily one of the most fun and clever Tall Tales in the game, there’s also Commendations for doing some optional tasks inside the Tall Tale. But these can be done at any time so it might be best to focus on the Marauder’s Medley challenges first.
Now that that’s over with, you can get a sneak peek at what you’ll need to do next at our Sea of Thieves Marauder’s Medley guide.