The NicheCast is Niche Gamer’s weekly podcast where we talk up the latest gaming news and events, as well as unique games, niche games, weird games, whatever you want to call them—we love them and we know you love them as well. We only cover these games on our regular feed, and we only cover them on our podcast, too.
Niche News of the Week
- Atelier Ryza 3 Teased by Series Character Designer
- Dead or Alive Franchise Director Yohei Shimbori Leaves Koei Tecmo
- Cyberpunk 2077 Stand-Alone Multiplayer Cancelled
- The Elder Scrolls Online: Console Enhanced Version Announced, Launches for Xbox Series X+S and PS5 on June 8
- PS3 and PSP PlayStation Stores Officially Shutting Down July 2, PS Vita on August 27
- Tales of Symphonia is the Best-Selling Tales of Game
- Hironobu Sakaguchi May Also Make Fantasian His Last Title
- Back 4 Blood Delayed to October 12, Open Beta Coming Summer 2021
- Petition to Stop Six Days in Fallujah “Normalizing the Mass Murder of Iraqis” Launched
- Ghost of Tsushima Movie by John Wick Director Announced
- Yakuza: Ishin and Yakuza: Kenzan Could Get Western Releases Due to Ghost of Tsushima’s Popularity
- Koei-Tecmo Lost the Data to Uncensored Ninja Gaiden Games
- Ikumi Nakamura Opens New Indie Studio
- Rumored Nintendo Switch Pro Features New Nvidia Graphics Chip, DLSS for 4K Graphics
- Discord Reportedly Debates Going Public or $10 Billion Buy-Out From Microsoft, Others
- Microsoft Changes Xbox Live to Xbox Network After 18 Years
- Sega Astro City Mini Coming to North America via Limited Run Games
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade Director: No Plans for Future DLC
Topic of the Week
- Microsoft Jabs at Sony: It’s More Important Than Ever to Preserve Gaming Classics via Backwards Compatibility
This week, we talk backwards compatibility in the gaming industry. Have Sony and Nintendo abandoned their classic games? Why is backwards compatibility not really a thing anymore, and why is Microsoft of all gaming companies the only one that seems to be pushing it? Has Microsoft done enough for backwards compatibility support, or can they do more? How important is backwards compatibility, and game preservation overall? We talk up all these points and more!
You can find the podcast below via the following platforms:
We’re also beaming our podcast out to other platforms now, including RSS, iTunes, Spotify, and more soon to come. Here’s our public-facing pages with our previous episodes:
Please Leave Feedback and Ask Us Questions
Please write in to Contact @ Niche Gamer (click to open a new message with your preferred email provider) with any questions, comments, music recommendations, and so on that you guys have. We will respond to any emails we get on the air during the next show!
The Niche-Cast is a regular podcast we host where we talk up the latest news, topics, and more with our staff. Please let us know if there’s stuff you want us to discuss!