Today’s Niche Spotlight is Ultimate ADOM – Caverns of Chaos, a dungeon-crawling roguelike that recently left Early Access.
From Team ADOM and Assemble Entertainment; Ultimate ADOM – Caverns of Chaos is the modern sequel to the classic roguelike from 25 years ago. Players will get to delve into the Caverns of Chaos, and build their character from a huge range of races, classes, and allegiances.
Besides more streamlined mechanics, one of Ultimate ADOM‘s biggest new additions is a stealth system, opening up an entirely new playstyle. The game can be played in a graphics mode or traditional ASCII, and you can freely toggle between both of them at will.
You can find the launch trailer below.
You can find the rundown (via Steam) below:
After over 25 years, here comes the official sequel to classic ADOM.
Experience the modern sequel of the traditional roguelike dungeon-crawling classic. Enjoy unlimited replayability through endless procedurally generated dungeons, countless monsters, grafting, crafting and a vast amount of skill trees..
DELVE INTO THE LORE
Evil has been vanquished. Peace has returned to Ancardia, and the peasants dare to dream once more of prosperity. Seven very different factions vie for control over the cataclysmic aftermath left behind by Andor Drakon’s defeat. And somewhere, deep down in an inhospitable cave, ChAoS is stirring again.
Pick up your blade, prepare your spells, check your daggers and ready your bow, for you are about to enter the ominous Caverns of Chaos. Choose your allegiance carefully, for you are nothing more than an expendable asset to the masters you choose.
Fight for a mercenary’s glory and purse, for the justice of a folk in decline, for the light of purity or even for ChAoS itself. Every choice you make will determine how you approach the ever-changing Caverns of Chaos before you.
CLASSIC ROGUELIKE VIRTUES MEET MODERN FEATURES
- Endless procedurally generated dungeons, countless monsters, items and a grand selection of very different skills allow for unlimited replayability.
- Interactive surroundings! Topple braziers, push coffins, smash doors or turn them into wooden golems to (hopefully) serve your bidding.
- Choose or toggle between graphic mode and traditional ASCII at any time. Toggle between 3D mode and top down view, in ASCII or in the graphic mode.
- Intuitive control system will get rid of the need to memorize hundreds of keys. Though you can still do so, if you’re into that. We are not judging.
UNRIVALED COMPLEXITY AND CONTENT
- A great variety of classes, genders, races and allegiances to choose from allow for extensive build diversity and change the way the game challenges you. NPCs will react differently, new quests will be open to you and the world may change completely based on your decisions.
- A deep magic system with several unique schools of magic and over 80 of spells to choose from, ranging from summoning demons to animating the very walls of the dungeon to aid you – the possibilities are endless.
- Over 380 skills in 25 skill trees and dozens of secret skills trees that are only waiting to be unlocked.
- A stealth system introduces a totally new way of playing the game: Instead of hacking or blasting all opposition to pieces you now can sneak past adversaries and avoid conflict.
- Turn yourself into an abomination and graft your enemies’ body parts on yourself. They won’t need them anymore, and what’s better than wielding two swords? Two swords and an axe to harvest more body parts than ever before.
CHALLENGING AND UNCOMPROMISING, YET REWARDING
- Countless options of how to tackle the dungeons awaiting you. Befriend or tame creatures, slay monsters, delve deeper or keep exploring and expanding the cavern levels you have already found. Over 200 different foes await, each requiring matching tactics.
- “Dying is part of the fun” – Each death is permanent. Your progress however will allow continuous improvement of future characters.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!