Today’s Niche Spotlight is Gordian Quest, a deckbuilding roguelite RPG by Mixed Realms that just left Early Access.
In Gordian Quest, players will form a band of heroes to save a land besieged by monsters and dark curses. Inspired by tabletop RPGs, players will lead their parties on dangerous quests full of random events, bands of monsters, and insidious traps. Upgrade your party with new skills, cards, and gear to help them conquer tactical turn-based battles. While Gordian Quest features roguelite elements, the game’s 4-act campaign can be played through with permadeath turned off.
You can find a launch trailer below.
You can find a rundown (via Steam) below:
A sinister curse corrupts the land. Darkness reigns. Monsters roam. Scoundrels loot. Cowards flee. Heroes emerge.
Lead heroes on an adventure to save what’s left of this fallen world and destroy the root of evil abound. Will you fall at the claws of your enemies or the consequences of your poor decisions? Your Gordian Quest is about to begin.
Gordian Quest is an epic deckbuilding RPG inspired by old-school classics like Ultima and D&D, using modern gaming concepts like roguelite elements and turn-based strategic combat. You will form parties of heroes whom you will have to lead and manage on grueling missions. Help them forge bonds and discover new skills among them. Be fearless and unwavering as you work to unravel the curses laid upon the lands and defeat the ultimate evil at the heart of it all.
- Campaign Mode – Venture through 4 Acts, taking you from the troubled lands of Westmire to the enigmatic Sky Imperium, in an epic journey to save the land of Wrendia.
- Realm Mode – A frenetic and fast-paced roguelite mode. Challenge an ever-changing version of the game with unpredictable threats and rewards. Complete 5 realms, or take on an endless challenge to see how far you can go.
- Adventure Mode – An end-game mode where you can explore procedurally generated areas or take on solo challenges.
- Skirmish Mode – A 1v1 mode were you pit your party of three against a friend.
- Ten heroes – Each with their own unique class, skills, and playstyle to form a party of three and bring to adventure. Play as the Swordhand, Cleric, Ranger, Scoundrel, Spellbinder, Druid, Bard, Warlock, Golemancer, or the Monk.
- Hundreds of skills – The heroes have a combined total of close to 800 passive and active skills that can be deployed during turn-based battles, allowing players to discover and formulate their favorite combos.
- Train and equip heroes – Heroes can be upgraded, trained and equipped with a large selection of weapons, armor and enchanted trinkets to enhance their abilities.
- High replayability – Procedurally generated maps and dungeons and randomized hero skills make each playthrough different from the last.
- Various difficulty levels – Take on hardcore mode for a teeth-gritting permadeath experience, or play more casually where death is only a setback.
- Loot galore – Gather items and relics throughout your journey to boost your heroes’ abilities. In the future, you will also encounter mysterious items that can bless your heroes but also cripple them with a curse at the same time.
- Carryover rewards and progression system – Get rewarded the more you play through an Artifacts system that can benefit Realm Mode, Campaigns, or Adventure Mode.
- Decisions to make – Shape the course of your adventure with critical decisions and dice rolls.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!