If you’re unfamiliar, Deathbulge is a webcomic known for its surrealistic jokes, with the themes of its strips varying depending on what the artist felt like making fun of that particular day.
Deathbulge: Battle of the Bands brings some of the recurrent characters from the Deathbulge webcomic and places them in a hilarious and musical turn-based RPG.
You can read more about the game below:
A role-playing game featuring musical themes with an affinity for the sick and ridiculous. The story revolves around a deadly battle of the bands contest, where entrants can attack and be attacked with music.
Engage in a musically inspired active-turn based combat system where every second counts. Swap between characters in-between turns to take advantage of character attributes and harness the power of unique BAR effects.
Customise your band with up to NINE unique character classes, each specializing in a different area of combat. Whether you want to go ALL OUT with a mash-up of glass cannons like SHOW-OFF and HEADBANGER or DOUBLE DOWN on defense with WELL-TONED and GOTH, the choice is YOURS.
Locked doors? NO PROBLEM. Kick down every single door you come across. The same goes for treasure chests too, locked or not. Build your kicking strength over the course of the adventure and break down POWERFUL doors.
- Customise the band with 9 musically-themed classes to choose from, each with their own attacks, perks and sensational appearance.
- Kick down every single door you come across, regardless of how unlocked they might be.
- Some doors will be too strong to kick down. That’s why you gotta kick down weaker doors to level up your door kicking skill until you’re strong enough.
- Fancy combat system that focuses on BAR EFFECTS. What happens BETWEEN turns makes all the difference, bringing real-time elements into the turn-based combat.
- Sew patches of band logos onto your BATTLE JACKET for extra perks in BATTLE.
- No Random Encounters! Monsters will be shown on the field for your avoiding leisure.
- Original soundtrack that’ll make you say things like SIIICK and OH RIGHT ON.
- Bursting at the seams with humour, absurdity and a wide variety of colourful characters, armed with an abundance of dialogue faces to express themselves TO THE MAX.
- A rich world packed with well over 100 unique NPCs.
- Even the ITEMS have personality. Say bye bye to the generic “HEALTH POTION”. Local NPC Barry Friendly is taking care of the soothing beverages around here. Sink into a warm cup of BARRY FRIENDLY’S TEA whenever your health is low. Maybe you’ll even have the pleasure of meeting Barry at some point.
- One of the enemies you fight is a skateboarding platypus.
For a game that doesn’t take itself seriously at all, Deathbulge: Battle of the Bands is an oddly high quality product. The soundtrack features some incredible pieces, and the battle system is pretty engaging.
Deathbulge: Battle of the Bands is a great way to get into the Deathbulge webcomic, and will be right up your alley if you enjoy games that are constantly cracking nonsensical jokes.
Deathbulge: Battle of the Bands is available on Microsoft Windows (through Steam).
If you are a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!