Degica and Spacewave Software have announced that Rival Megagun will finally be coming out on November 29th for Windows PC (via Steam), PS4, Switch, and Xbox One for $14.99.
Rival Megagun has been in development for just shy of two years by a single Japanese indie developer. What sets it apart from other Japanese shmups is the fact that it’s a competitive, PVP game set across two screens.
Both players will be shooting down enemies and avoiding projectiles on their own screen like your typical shmup, but all the power-ups are based around causing bad things to happen on the other player’s screen.
The most notable of these power-ups transforms one player into a boss encounter that their rival has to beat, hence the game’s title. You can check out the latest trailer above.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Transform into your Mega Gunship boss form to blast your rival head-on in this unique shooting game with a competitive twist.
Rival Megagun is a competitive split-screen vertical shmup (or shoot ’em up, shooting game, STG) where you transform into a gigantic boss ship – your “Mega Gunship” – to invade your opponent’s screen.
- Classic shmup action with a competitive twist
- Multiple playable heroes, each with their own special weapons and Mega Gunship boss form
- Intense 2-player “couch-competitive” local versus battles
- Online battles – challenge your friends or find opponents via matchmaking
- Unlockable gear and weapons for customizing your ship
- A single-player arcade mode