Everyone’s favorite Dragon, not a dragon Pokemon is returning to Pokemon Go during a special raid day; in preparation for its return, we have prepared the best Mega Gyarados raid counters to date in 2022.
On October 5th, the Evolving Stars event will start in Pokemon Go. The Evolving Stars event will run until October 11th, at 8 P.M. During the event, Cosmoem will make its Pokemon Go debut. Additionally, on October 8th, Mega Gyarados will be the featured raid on a special raid day.
During the Evolving Stars event, Mega Manectric and Xerneas will appear in raids, but Mega Gyarados will be only spawning during the raid day event. The Mega Gyarados event takes place from 2 PM to 5 PM local time. During this, trainers will receive an additional five raid passes. Keep an eye out because a shiny red Gyarados can be your reward for taking down the Mega Raid.
Now let’s dive into the best Mega Gyarados raid counters.
Mega Gyarados Raid Stats
- Mega Gyarados is a Water, Dark-type Pokemon.
- It is weak to Bug, Electric, Fairy, Grass, and Fighting-type moves.
- The Mega Gyarados Raid CP is 57146
- Mega Gyarados’ Base HP is 216
- Its Attack is 292 and its Defense is 247
- The Base catch CP is between 1,855 to 1,937
- The Boosted Catch CP is between 2,319 to 2,422
- It is Weather Boosted by Foggy, Windy, or Rainy weather
- Its Fast moves can be Dragon Breath, Waterfall, or Bite
- Its Charged moves can be Outrage, Hydro Pump, Twister, or Crunch
Mega Gyarados Raid Counters
Going into the Mega Gyarados raid, trainers will need a heavy-hitting team of Pokemon with type-effective moves or high defensive stats. Overall, Mega Gyarados is a well-rounded Mega Pokemon. Thankfully it is easy to take down due to its vulnerabilities and average HP Stat.
The raid can be easily completed by a team of 3 to 5 trainers; a team of 5 to 9 trainers can take it down quicker and a team of 8 to 20 trainers can burn through it making a better completionist bonus.
Using Mega Pokemon such as Mega Ampharos, Mega Beedrill, Mega Venusaur, or Mega Lopunny will make the battle a lot easier for most trainers. Ultimately, you will want to use Fairy, Grass, Electric, Fighting, or Bug-type Pokemon. Be careful, because the raid can be difficult if using Ghost, Fire, Dark, Ice, Water, Steel, Ground, Rock, or Psychic-type Pokemon.
Here are the best counters to overcoming the raid. Some of these recommendations can be substituted out for Pokemon with type advantage or a better move set.
- Mega Ampharos – Volt Switch & Zap Cannon
- Electivire – Thunder Shock & Wild Charge
- Zapdos – Thunder Shock & Thunderbolt
- Xurkitree – Thunder Shock & Discharge
- Raikou – Thunder Shock & Wild Charge
- Zekrom – Charge Beam & Wild Charge
- Mega Manectric – Thunder Fan & Wild Charge
- Magnezone – Spark & Wild Charge
- Thundurus (Therian) – Volt Switch & Thunderbolt
- Tapu Koko – Volt Switch & Thunderbolt
- Deoxys – Charge Beam & Thunder Bolt
- Luxray – Spark & Wild Charge
- Vikavolt – Spark & Wild Charge
- Melmetal – Thunder Shock & Thunderbolt
- Mega Venusaur – Vine Whip & Frenzy Plant
- Zarude – Vine Whip & Power Whip
- Tapu Bulu – Bullet Seed & Grass Knot
- Sceptile – Fury Cutter & Frenzy Plant
- Roserade – Razor Leaf & Grass Knot
- Tangrowth – Vine Whip & Power Whip
- Leafeon – Razor Leaf & Leaf Blade
- Torterra – Razor Leaf & Frenzy Plant
- Mega Lopunny – Double Kick & Focus Blast
- Machamp – Counter & Dynamic Punch
- Lucario – Counter & Aura Sphere
- Conkeldurr- Counter & Dynamic Punch
- Breloom – Counter & Dynamic Punch
- Buzzwole – Counter & Superpower
- Terrakion – Smack Down & Sacred Sword
- Sirfetch’d – Counter & Close Combat
- Hariyama- Counter & Dynamic Punch
- Blaziken – Counter & Focus Blast
- Heracross – Counter & Close Combat
- Toxicroak – Counter & Dynamic Punch
- Sawk – Low Kick & Focus Blast
- Primeape – Counter & Close Combat
- Pheromosa – Bug Bite & Bug Buzz
- Heracross – Counter & Mega Horn
- Mega Beedril – Bug Bite & X-Scissor
- Galvantula – Fury Cutter & Discharge
- Genesect – Fury Cutter & Zap Cannon
- Pinsir – Bug Bite & X-Scissor
- Gardevoir – Charm & Dazzling Gleam
- Zacian (Hero) – Quick Attack & Play Rough
- Togekiss – Charm & Dazzling Gleam
Remember Shadow Bonuses
Remember, Shadow versions of some of these Pokemon can be more efficient.
Let Us Know!
Will you try to grind out the Mega Lopunny and Yveltal Raids one last time? Both the legendary and mega raids will change on October 8th. Xereas raids will run until October 20th. Will you participate in the Mega Gyarados raid day or will you focus on Xerneas and Mega Manectric raids?
For additional Pokemon Go news or raid guides, check out our Pokemon Go section.
Let us know if this information is helpful to you and look out for any raid invites from us in the future. Remember to follow the NicheGamer Twitter for a variety of Pop Culture news