Atlus has confirmed they’re publishing SNK Playmore’s The King of Fighters XIV on PlayStation 4.
The latest in SNK’s flagship fighting gamer series uses the traditional traditional 3 vs. 3 battle system, couple with a massive 50 character roster.
Here’s the press release, via Atlus:
- 3D Evolution: All 50 fighters, movesets and more are rendered in full 3D graphics that preserves the essence of KOF’s visual style but updates it with a whole new dimension.
- The Best Refinement since KOF ’98: Through extensive playtesting and balancing, the controls have been streamlined, and the Combo and Max Mode mechanics have been overhauled to create the most competitive fighter in SNK’s history.
- The KOF Saga Continues: There’s a robust single-player storyline where several years have passed since the previous KOF tournament. Now a worldwide business, the global KOF will decide who is the strongest as both individuals and companies with their own ambitions have come to compete. Players compete against CPU-controlled opponents to unlock the storyline.
- The Best Roster Yet: There are 50 fighters total, with 31 returning from previous entries into the KOF series, and 19 brand new characters. All 50 characters will be available at the game’s launch.
- Revamped Online Experience: THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV has devoted a lot of development time to improving the game’s netcode for vastly improved online gameplay. KOF XIV uses the PS4’s online architecture to have a whole host of online conveniences, from spectating to saving replay/battle data, and having a single online KOF XIV profile to connect with friends
Get ready for the greatest fighting tournament on Earth, because SNK PLAYMORE and Atlus U.S.A. are partnering to bring THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV to the Americas later this year. KOF XIV marks the beginning of a new era for the series as it will be making its debut with 3D characters exclusively on PlayStation 4 systems!
Although the classic 3 vs. 3 battle system is unchanged in KOF XIV, the perfectionists at SNK PLAYMORE have made some notable updates to the fighting engine. From streamlining controls to improving the Combo and MAX Mode mechanics, the developers have worked tirelessly to bring hardcore fans and newcomers the most competitive, but accessible, game in KOF history. Did we mention that the graphics are now fully rendered in 3D? Players will beat their opponents senseless while experiencing the new visual style of the 50 fighters (all of whom are available in-game at launch), and movesets! There’s also a brand new Party Battle feature that lets two teams of three human players duke it out via online play. Speaking of which, KOF XIV will have vastly improved netcode for competitive level multiplayer to fully use the PS4’s online features.