This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Maiden & Spell, a magical girl bullet hell shooter by mino_dev and Maple Whispering Limited.
Choose from one of eight magical girls and face off against rivals in colorful, projectile-saturated duels. Each color-coded character has a three-pixel wide hitbox, along with a selection of spells and abilities to cast in battle. Explore a story-driven campaign, and put your skills to the test in local and online competitive multiplayer. You can find a trailer below.
Maiden & Spell is available on Windows PC via Steam for $12.99.
You can find a rundown of the game (via Steam) below:
A Magical Fighter
Maiden & Spell is a one-on-one magical girl aerial projectile battler, featuring a colorful cast of ladies fighting with fantastic spells.
Battling with magic is simple! Fire your spells, hit your opponent, and don’t get hit yourself! Each maiden is color-coded and has a set of abilities unique to them, activated at a press of a button. There aren’t any complicated combos or intricate inputs or grabs or melee attacks or block buttons! Just a 3-pixels-wide hitbox, a lot of shiny bullets, and your own dodging skills.
You can fight against a friend in Versus Mode, or test your skill against a series of opponents and bullet hell boss attacks in Story Mode.
An abyss on the edge of the map, said to be the most dangerous dungeon in the world… The Great Circle. A group of young adventurers travel down into its depths in search of a powerful treasure.
Awaiting them are cute monsters, nonsensical architecture, and an ancient city once known as The Kingdom of Stars….
- A unique versus game with a whimsical fantasy aesthetic
- 8 cute maidens to play as, each with their own magical attacks, abilities, and playstyles
- Versus Mode, where you can play 1 v 1 matches against your friends
- Story Mode, fight against a series of opponents mixed in with 70+ challenging attack patterns to defeat
- Extra unlockables and optional challenges that will truly test your skills
- A JRPG-battle-theme inspired soundtrack by composer Steel_plus
- Online battling with lobbies and rollback
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!