This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Minoria, a spiritual sequel to the Momodora series by Bombservice and Dangen Entertainment.
This action-platformer is set in the aftermath of the fourth Witch War. The Sacred Office is leading a holy inquisition against all witches in Ramezia. You play as the Sisters Fran and Semilla, missionaries from the Church that are sent on a mission to prosecute witches and protect the common folk from heresy. You can check out the game’s launch trailer above.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Minoria is the latest and most ambitious game from Bombservice, and a spiritual sequel to the Momodora series, from the same studio.
Fans of Momodora will find familiar aspects in the design and gameplay elements, as they master the ins-and-outs of parries, dodges, and a variety of different spells. The presentation has evolved to an HD format, with aesthetics mixing 2D hand-painted backgrounds and cel-shaded characters.
The story takes place during the fourth Witch War. It is a time of fanatical religious fervor. The Sacred Office, a powerful organization leading an Inquisition against heresy, purges the sinners who threaten humanity. Those responsible for conducting a mysterious ceremony that contradicts the rules of the Church are labeled “witches.”
Set forth with Sisters Semilla and Fran, missionaries in the Church’s service, on their journey to thwart the witches’ ceremony and protect the common-folk from heresy that endangers the status quo.
- A powerful fantasy story inspired by the history of medieval Europe
- A unique visual aesthetic combining hand-painted 2D art with cel-shading
- Fluid controls encouraging careful engagement and patient play
- Offensive combat enabling players to crush enemies with a mix of swordplay and spells
- Defensive options including dodge-rolls and parries
- A leveling system that helps players adjust their character to their desired difficulty
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!