This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Risk System, a horizontal shmup by Newt Industries.
The game is set in the distant future. Humanity has entered a brief golden age by using Dimensional Gate Technology to replicate matter, but now the very technology that saved humanity threatens to end it when a race of energy parasites begin using dimensional gates to invade Earth. You play as Alys, the reckless ace pilot of the RSK9, an advanced ship based on Pre-Gate technology that represents humanity’s last-ditch effort to fight the invaders.
Risk System‘s name also describes its core mechanics. Fly as close to enemy projectiles as possible to convert their shots into the energy you need to power your super meter. Destroying enemies with risky maneuvers is also the only way to recharge your shield. You can check out the launch trailer above.
Risk System is available on Windows PC, Mac, and Linux via Steam for $11.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
In the distant future, humanity has discovered a method to replicate matter through the use of a Dimensional Gate. Industry is revolutionized overnight and a short period of chaos gives way to all warring factions uniting under a common banner.
A few years pass and the peace brought about by Gate Technology crumbles once a new threat appears; a race of energy parasites that have crossed through the Dimensional Gate by mimicking the very materials humanity had believed they were replicating. Mankind is quickly overtaken as their technology is turned against them and the energy emitted by the parasites begins to take control of those exposed.
In an act of desperation, the experimental RSK9 is constructed, a ship made of Pre-Gate materials and technology with the ability to absorb parasite energy and use it to power its incredible arsenal. Piloting the RSK9 is Alys, an ace pilot previously missing in action that has returned seemingly immune to parasite control. Her skill and resistance to the parasite energies influence make her the only pilot capable of preventing the extinction of mankind.
- Increase your B-Meter & firepower quickly by flying as close to enemy fire as possible and absorbing their energy. The closer you fly, the more energy you net!
- Fire your weapon while flying close to enemy fire and absorbing to perform powerful “Risk Shots”. Enemies destroyed by these powered up shots will turn into energy to power your shield. The best defense is a risky offense!
- Fly like an ace pilot and utilize Barrel Rolls to quickly cover vertical space & modify your attack!
- Unleash the Barrier Breaker once the B-Meter is full to inflict huge damage on everything in sight!
- Playing for points is fun again as higher scores are awarded for explosive bursts of destruction and taking risks! Destroy multiple enemies at once and utilize “Risk Shots” to string together combos and increase your score multiplier!
- Experience different facets and paths to the story based on your performance and actions taken during missions!
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!