This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is about Russian Subway Dogs, the latest game by Spooky Squid Games, of They Bleed Pixels fame.
Russian Subway Dogs is a simple arcade action game about the true stories of stray dogs in Moscow’s metro system. You can find the original launch trailer above.
In it, you’ll learn to empathize with the daily struggles of stray dogs in the former Soviet Union as they steal food, fight bears, bark explosive vodka fumes, dodge charging elk that are on fire, and receive dangerous top secret missions from the ruthless Proletaricat. Such is life in Moscow.
If you are a complete monster that doesn’t like dogs, for some reason, you can also choose to play as a variety of guest characters from other indie hits, including Nacho and Rad Shiba from VA-11 HALL-A, and Uay Chivo from Guacamelee!
Russian Subway Dogs is available on Windows PC and Mac (via Steam) for $14.99. The game is set to release on PS4, Vita, and Xbox One sometime later this year.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Welcome, comrades! Meet Russian Subway Dogs! We have done extensive, totally legal research in order to fine tune this chaotic arcade-simulation for what it’s like to scavenge for food from Russian commuters. Surviving isn’t easy when you are dodging volatile vodka, rival dogs, and the rare and dangerous Subway Bear!
- A new game from the creators of They Bleed Pixels.
- Inspired by real life stray dogs who’ve learned to navigate Moscow’s subway system!
- Take on Campaign Mode with dozens of levels and over 100 unique challenges from your boss kitty: The Proletaricat.
- Highly replayable Endless Mode with online leaderboards and a score-driven difficulty algorithm that keeps each round fresh!
- Featuring detailed pixel art of Moscow’s world famous, ornately decorated subway stations.
- Play as your favourite animals from other indie games and comics (full list below!)
- From fire and ice to toxic chocolate and cooking wildlife for food, Russian Subway Dogs is full of simulated systems to discover and exploit!
- Original Soundtrack by Peter Chapman aka COINS (Guacamelee!, LittleBigPlanet Karting, Modnation Racers)
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!