Subnautica Developer Fired for Tweeting Conservative Opinions

Subnautica’s sound designer Simon Chylinski has been fired after an internet hate mob was sicced on him for posting his own personal opinions online.

The entire debacle started when game director Charlie Cleveland posted a poll which asked whether players would prefer the developers to improve the core game or make it possible to play as a woman. “We need a ‘diversity’ slider in the options,” responded Chylinski. “It will make the character progessively darker more feminine and less sexy.”

The poll was later deleted and Cleveland apologized for his “terribly-worded tweet” but armchair warriors that have digital axes to grind started digging into the company’s employees public history, starting with their social media.

Denizens of the regressive hivemind ResetEra and anonymous Twitter users @queer_queenie and @dijon_dujour both posted screencaps of tweets Chylinski made – all of which kicking off the internet hate mob that wouldn’t stop until Subnautica developer Unknownworlds Entertainment did something.

“Lmao. This is the sound designer for Subnautica. Cool employees u got there,” Dujour said, while posting several of Chylinski’s opinions like “importing random ppl from the 3rd world is also importing 3rd world crime tiers and IQ” and “street poo and rigid cast system in india didn’t come from west. Their space program did tho.”

When speaking to Dangerous, Chylinski confirmed he was fired over the reaction from the internet hate mob, for his personal opinions. Prior to his termination he was working on an expansion pack for the game when the outrage started brewing last weekend.

“I said that I honestly didn’t see anything wrong with it,” he said. “I don’t feel like I need to pretend [not to know about statistics and political realities].” He said that his superiors at the company took the most offense with his joke tweet about identifying as an attack helicopter.

“They began asking me how I would react if they hired a Muslim or trans person. I said I’d debate them like anyone else on the team if I disagreed with them,” said Chylinski. “They said that this would create an unwelcoming working environment and that they see it as a problem that almost only white men are working there, and they need more diversity and that what I said would make that difficult to achieve.”

Despite the decision to fire him, Chylinski was quick to defend his former employer. “These guys are not bad people. I don’t want to paint them that way,” he said. “They are very talented and on a personal level they are nice to be around.” He said that he thinks the company simply didn’t know how to react to such blind, regressive, and intolerant hate.

“I think I should have the freedom to express myself without being fired,” he said, noting that he thought the company would simply distance themselves from his opinions and privately reprimand him, instead of making his termination a public display in an attempt to appease those who are never satisfied.

The ordeal mirrors the intolerant community that circulated NeoGAF prior to its collapse last year, to which its owner said “authoritarian left hostility” and “identity politics” ruined its community and generally weren’t happy with anything he or his staff did.

Subnautica is currently available for Windows PC. In case you missed it, you can find our review for the game here (we recommend it!).

1. PChandler
    PChandler
    February 6, 2018 at 12:52 pm

>Gender is a social construct
    >SEXUALLY UNATTRACTIVE, OBESE, PURPLE HAIRED, BLACK HIJABI FEMALE CHARACTER NOW. ALLAHU AKBAR!

?

2. NoobSmoke
    NoobSmoke
    February 6, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Oh please dumb fucks like you flip out at the mere sight of a black character
    hahah but anyway good job on this dumb fuck for ruining his career

3. bgrunge
    bgrunge
    February 6, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Pretty much guarantees I’ll pass on anything they’ve made or will make. Fuck ’em.

4. Cytos Lpagtr
    Cytos Lpagtr
    February 6, 2018 at 12:58 pm

oof

5. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    February 6, 2018 at 1:00 pm

I was tempted to make a personal list of Western developers/publishers not to buy from, but quickly realized it would be much shorter and easier to make one of Western developers/publishers that I WILL buy from. Let’s see…Rockstar and developers in Poland.

6. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    February 6, 2018 at 1:03 pm

So ResetEra really is the neo GAF.

7. Marc Duarte
    Marc Duarte
    February 6, 2018 at 1:08 pm

I was quite interested in this game for it’s underwater themes, but not anymore after reading the article. (Maybe I should get my Dreamcast out of storage and play Deep Fighter instead.)

February 6, 2018 at 1:09 pm

Well another studio to add to my boycott list. I won’t be getting the PS4 release of Subnautica even if they add it to the PS+ Instant Game Collection.

Of course these twats are based in San Fran, where you can be fired for expressing perfectly reasonable opinions.

Also it makes sense that the guy is so based – he is Polish after all. I’d have to disagree with him saying that his former employers are not bad people. They are. They put him trough a Gestapo-like questioning before firing him for opinions he expressed outside of the workplace. In short – fuck them.

9. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    February 6, 2018 at 1:12 pm

Subnautica can go fuck themselves then. At this point shit like this doesn’t surprise me we are living in a feminist dystopia after all. I wouldn’t be surprised if Orwell is break dancing in his grave right now. I hope this dude takes the Damore route and sues the shit out of this company. Maybe then we can get somewhere since most of these SJWs are total pussies when not protected by a group of people.

10. Cody Long
    Cody Long
    February 6, 2018 at 1:12 pm

I still stand by my review, it’s a good game. Really disappointed by this whole fiasco, though. Jeeze.

11. Ithaca TrenchGun
    Ithaca TrenchGun
    February 6, 2018 at 1:14 pm

GOOD THING THERE’S
    P I R A C Y
    I
    R
    A
    C
    Y

12. Jared Bellow
    Jared Bellow
    February 6, 2018 at 1:16 pm

I don’t even want to play it – the whole thing is tainted by this. I have other games I can spend my time on.

13. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    February 6, 2018 at 1:20 pm

Definitely not going to buy the game after this, but their crappy company culture does not invalidate your reflections of the game itself.

14. NoobSmoke
    NoobSmoke
    February 6, 2018 at 1:23 pm

Ya know did he even consider for a second that some people would like to be able to pick a male or female and make them whatever color they wanted or did he just sperg out like most of the sorry losers like him and ruin his career? Is this really worth an entire article or are you asshats just as bad as Kotaku. I wanna know about games idgaf about this.

15. Ace
    Ace
    February 6, 2018 at 1:29 pm

I don’t buy games from devlopers that mistreat their employees. Pass.

16. PChandler
    PChandler
    February 6, 2018 at 1:31 pm

LA VERDAD DUELE! https://youtu.be/d_dpz45bnlM

Hahaha… oh, wow. Ternurita; You lost the game before even starting it, big fucking time. Who the fuck you think you’re talking to!? WHO THE FUCK YOU THINK YOU’RE TALKING TO!? I am Latino, I’m from Colombia! You white trash, pinky-ass cracker from gringoletelandia. You think you can continue to project, unimpeded, your sociopathic, racist, sexist sick fuckery all over this planet? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Dumb fuck? Ok, let me tell you what! I live in Warsaw now, in Poland, I’m finishing my studies here at the University of Warsaw. Now, do you have the testicles to stop hiding behind an internet tough guy costume and actually confront someone, in this case a so-called minority in your country, who doesn’t think like you? Do you have the testicles to call this Latino a “dumb fuck” to his face?

Let’s see how though you and your ilk really are in real life, let’s make this a landmark case so people all over the internet, the news media and the world take notice, once and for all. Let’s see how tough brownshirts like you really are outside their cozy, American suburb, outside the realm of (anti)social media like Twitter, and the video game world. I’ll pay you, via Paypal or bank transfer via Bank Millennium, the plane ticket to come to Warsaw ASAP, LITERALLY NOW! I’ll meet you there or if you prefer we could meet at my alma mater, in Krakowskie Przedmiescie 26-28 or the busiest place in Poland: Warsaw’s Metro Centrum, in Aleje Jerozolemskie. I’ll pay you the Uber, MyTaxi or Taxify, whichever you prefer.

Are you up for it? Do you have the gonads to actually walk the talk? Or are you gonna keep hiding on the Internet, role playing and play pretending with your 4chan, ED, Lizard Squad-esque pseudo-edgy, pseudo-irreverent facade?

17. Espio419
    Espio419
    February 6, 2018 at 1:38 pm

You have problem supporting Rockstar and their extremely jewish MTX practices?

18. Snea Zel
    Snea Zel
    February 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Gonna assume this is trolling- not bad if so.

19. NoobSmoke
    NoobSmoke
    February 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Not that I give a shit about race but if you can’t tell from my pic I’m black. So yes you seem pretty fucking dumb to me still

20. Arenegeth
    Arenegeth
    February 6, 2018 at 1:41 pm

In other news, water is wet.

Forgive the snark, but is rather obvious that 90% at least of these ‘indie’ studios are part the of progressive (read: regressive) bubble. That became clear as day during Gamergate.

They hired a wrongthinker and now they’re getting rid of him while making sure to virtue signal as much as possible so the rest of the cult gives them brownie points about how woke they are, and especially so they won’t turn on them next.

I had no interest in the game (only heard of the name in passing really), so I can’t pretend to boycott it, but needless to say, the company is added in the long list of companies which products I want nothing to do with.

If we lived in a world where I didn’t already own enough games to last me until I die, as a cynical old man with a controller in one hand and a boob in the other, with many old missed gems to pick up and so many games that are worth playing still coming out, I might have felt bad. But alas we don’t. So fuck ’em.

21. CZ
    CZ
    February 6, 2018 at 1:43 pm

LOL close but No…. ResetERROR is not the new NEOFAG! it’s 10 times worse.

22. Snea Zel
    Snea Zel
    February 6, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Looks like you uploaded a 40×40 jpeg to me. It’s not clear at all and I can barely tell what’s even happening in the image. No offense.

23. CZ
    CZ
    February 6, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Fuck ResetERROR and all the Marxist faggotts on there!

24. Henry Schmitt
    Henry Schmitt
    February 6, 2018 at 1:46 pm

oof

25. NukeA6
    NukeA6
    February 6, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Of course, the dreg-like mangina hellhole known as ResetEra/NeoGAF would be behind this. It’s all good though, I’ll be spending that money on Strife: Veteran Edition and Deep Space Waifu because I’d rather pay for perverted SHMUPs and games I can find for free than some indie game that supports these dick-loving faggots.

26. PChandler
    PChandler
    February 6, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Yes, Latinos like me can tell whether a person is black from that awesome 1X1 pic of “yours”.

Tras de ladrón, bufón.

You’re black? Congratulations! Good for you and all your family. You were, you are, and will always be a gringo still. Doesn’t fucking change a thing! Sick fucks like you think you speak for us all so call minorities, in the US and elsewhere. Ignoramus, indoctrinated sociopaths like you think all of us Latinos masturbate to the mass murderer Ernesto Guevera, and the likes of Hugo Chávez, so fucking cute!

You didn’t answer the question you fucking pussy. Do you have the testicles to call this Latino a “dumb fuck/pretty fucking dumb” in person? You are a privilege gringo, you have absolutely no trouble to get in a plane now and come here, you don’t need a visa, gringito de mierda! Like I said, I’ll pay you, via Paypal or bank transfer via Bank Millennium, the plane ticket to come to Warsaw. NOW, LITERALLY NOW!

27. NukeA6
    NukeA6
    February 6, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Well no game company is perfect.

28. Ebicentre
    Ebicentre
    February 6, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Someone really should do a blacklist of every single company that endorses this SJW shit. I know it’ll take a while, but deepfreeze.it wasn’t built in a day, either.

29. Nanashi
    Nanashi
    February 6, 2018 at 2:01 pm

I hope he does too, but it might be harder for him since he lives in Poland. Or is he currently residing in the US?

30. PChandler
    PChandler
    February 6, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Here in Poland, laws regarding calumny, libel, slander and defamation are one of the most strict and enforced in Europe, no kidding. That guy could summon to court those sick fucks behind that RapeGAF/RESETERA post that labeled him as a “racist, sexist, transphobe, homophobe… etc”, and could be judged in absentia too, and I believe they could too be arrested if they landed in Poland to attend, say a game expo, or as tourists and whatnot, and forced to attend a court hearing. Tarnishing the name of someone, or a family here, even if you hide behind the internet, is serious business, as it should be EVERYWHERE!

He should start taking legal action in the US tho, aimed at Unknown Worlds Entertainment and Charlie Cleveland for unlawful termination. This has to be a landmark case, like with Damore.

31. William Lee Twitch
    William Lee Twitch
    February 6, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Ooh lookout we got an internet tough guy!

32. PChandler
    PChandler
    February 6, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Yes, I’m the internet tough guy. Tras de ladrón, bufón.

33. Exien
    Exien
    February 6, 2018 at 2:33 pm

What he said is true. Everbody who worked with refugees and migrants ( Like i did so don’t come like all high and mighty to me ) knows that these people bring their culture, tradition and also their agressive mind to other countries and they don’t simple change. In the yearly police report of my country is a segment where you can read that the crimes done from people with an african or middle east background has gone up, while the overall crime rate is decreasing from people who own citizenship. Africa and the middle east have the lowest average iq, but have the highest corruption and are the countries where woman have almost no rights that is fact that everybody can read in the officially puplished documents from countless organization. Oh yeah India has this problem that they shit everywhere, when you traveled there and meet people that come from India they can tell you about it guess what, they will bitch about it too. In this age you are always a raccist if you say these things, it dosn’t matter that they are true. People have to be politically correct all the time or guess what you are a raccist to somebody but i think many people don’t even know what a raccist is even more.

I am a man who love beautiful and sexy woman in outfits that shows this beauty. The SJW can go to hell we don’t need in every game a playable Female. Do i bitch about that in Nier automate you play 2/3 of the game as a female and that 9S is boring to play and weak as hell in term of Battle Power. No i didn’t because I know that 2B and 2A are combat Units while 9S is a reckon unit so it wouldn’t fit in the game like in a lot of games, but for these people every game needs a “strong independent woman”. Woman in the west world have the most rights in the hole world and yes sometimes woman draw the shortest stick, like we men do. Thats because women and men are not 100% the same we have diffrents bodys and mind sets. These SJW are not about equality they want MORE rights than men so they can go fuck themself.

34. Ace
    Ace
    February 6, 2018 at 2:38 pm

No worries man. You reviewed the game fair and square. Don’t change it based on outside bullshit, it opens a can of worms that would be better shut.

35. Galvanized Dreamer
    Galvanized Dreamer
    February 6, 2018 at 2:46 pm

What’s Chylinski’s twitter/blog? I want to throw him a follow.

36. 13penguins
    13penguins
    February 6, 2018 at 2:59 pm

I agree. I’m nearing the end of the story right now and I’ve been having a great time. Too bad that the devs allowed politics to get in the way of games. I’ll be thinking long and hard about purchasing the DLC. I have no doubt that it will be terrific, but studio drama distracts from what the game should be.

37. Grahav
    Grahav
    February 6, 2018 at 3:07 pm

It has come to the point where I only buy japanese games and only after checking the localizers.

38. Tarrasque
    Tarrasque
    February 6, 2018 at 3:10 pm

I really wanted to buy it. I’m poor as fuck right now so I left it for later. But now, fuck them, I’ll pirate it.

39. Are our Eyes Real?
    Are our Eyes Real?
    February 6, 2018 at 3:15 pm

And it’s thanks to retards like you that the rest of the world see Latinos as buffoons.

Good job dude.

40. William Lee Twitch
    William Lee Twitch
    February 6, 2018 at 3:18 pm

Internet tough guy and a walking joke.

41. Pill Dickle
    Pill Dickle
    February 6, 2018 at 3:22 pm

wamp wamp

42. iswear12
    February 6, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Let’s see how much quicker they collapse once someone alleges sexual harrassment or assault allegations against them, which *will* happen soon since these people can’t keep it in their pants

43. Feniks
    Feniks
    February 6, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Indie shit is SJW shit. When will people learn?

44. VersVlees
    VersVlees
    February 6, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Resetera and Neogaf these two baby boxes should just be ignored. The devs giving in to these wankers will only empower them more.

However, Unknown Studios giving in to the “where is my stronk wamen character” whining is not so surprising. Remember, these were also the same guys who went all “look at us being so progressive and current year” when they introduced the female marine player model for Natural Selection 2.

but then again the Natural Selection mod for Half life was better anyway. Drop sensory chambers first for alien victory what are you casuls?

45. Rok Kralj K
    Rok Kralj K
    February 6, 2018 at 4:18 pm

^^ this right here

46. PChandler
    PChandler
    February 6, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Yes, your same “rest of the world” that sees Islam as the religion of peace, clearly, Latinos are the buffoons. Buena esa! ?

47. Jared Bellow
    Jared Bellow
    February 6, 2018 at 4:24 pm

From all of the gameplay footage I’ve seen this looks like the exact same goddamn game as No Man’s Sky which everyone hates. I know you can’t always judge a game from footage but it really seems like another indie survival crafting thing.

As much as the concept of independent games are a good thing there is way too much bad pixel art and bad politics in that corner of the industry.

48. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    February 6, 2018 at 4:32 pm

The saddest part is that he’ll never work in the industry again. Big companies won’t touch him, and he’ll get stonewalled by the press and associations like IGDA. What a fucking joke of a time that we live in.

49. PChandler
    PChandler
    February 6, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Clearly, I’m the Internet tough guy, and I’m the joke. That’s why I go on about insulting people on the internet, calling people dumb fucks and else on the comment section of news articles and forums, thinking they’re a fellow American I can easily intimidate and ultimately without having to walk the talk when being confronted by a foreigner, a so-called minority. Nailed it! ?

De nuevo, tras de ladrón, bufón.

50. Pillbugable
    Pillbugable
    February 6, 2018 at 5:06 pm

While I don’t think he should have been fired over it, he definitely should have been reprimanded for making fun of his own game’s PR efforts(making a joke about the poll). Why shit-talk your own game like that?

51. bgrunge
    bgrunge
    February 6, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Being Polish, maybe he can go work for CD Projekt Red? They don’t seem to give a flying fuck about PC stuff.

52. bgrunge
    bgrunge
    February 6, 2018 at 5:11 pm

There was that one indie platformer where you played as a tranny in an awful feminist dystopia where all men were forced to gender transition. That game was pretty based and upset the SJWs, since it was blatantly anti-feminist.

53. 2501
    2501
    February 6, 2018 at 5:21 pm

That sucks because Subnautica is a terrific game and one of the game’s highlights is it’s amazing OST (Playing this game with good headphones is a real blast).

I doubt Chylinski would want people to stop supporting the game over this outcome but it doesn’t make Unknownworlds Entertainment look good in the long run.

54. 2501
    2501
    February 6, 2018 at 5:26 pm

two words.

Devolver Digital.

55. PChandler
    PChandler
    February 6, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Yes, unhinged. NAILED IT! Demosthenes! Clearly, those of us who stand up against this kind of internet thuggery are the unhinged:

Brownshirts like you in the US(California, SF, Seattle), Canada(Toronto, Quebec), UK, Australia and Spain –currently, the largest producers of this kind of demented, self-deluded, bigoted, intolerant, hateful sick fuckery– need to understand, once and for all, that you don’t speak for everyone on this planet, women, men and us so-called minorities.

Many of us had it with you engaging in targeted, systematic, pervasive harassment on the internet and (anti)social media like Twatter, against creators of different media, and even genius scientists like physicist Matt Tayler. And here, specifically of game developers, publishers and gamers, trying to pollute gaming with your cultist dogmata. Like that US born woman working at Ubisoft-Canada harassing Nintendo for putting Mario in a poncho, what we in my country call ruanas. YOU DON’T OWN US! We didn’t give you permission to feel “offended” and speak for us. Get that in your thick fucking skulls! Make your own fucking stories, your own songs, videos, books, movies and games with your own fucking characters. You don’t have the right to harass people online or offline, and try to intimidate them into ultimately doing what you want them to do, say and think.

Wake up! You didn’t learn anything after the last US election, look who YOU made President, people didn’t vote for him, they voted against SICK FUCKS LIKE YOU! You have made white men like Matt Taylor cry with your internet thuggery, people had enough! And not only in the US, but it’s all around the globe. Call us unhinged, call us whatever else epithet you can come up with, in any language you want. There’s 8′ billion people here, if you and your ilk think you can continue, without anyone lifting a finger on-or-offline, you’re mistaken, big time.

56. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    February 6, 2018 at 5:35 pm

In to the trash it goe…

“Killing Floor 2 developer”

In the trash it stays.

57. Snorlaxation
    Snorlaxation
    February 6, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Yeah, I don’t like or agree with his opinions, but you’ll notice he wasn’t exactly pushing them in anyone’s face since his job has nothing to do with them (and I’m not sure how old those tweets were, anyway), so I don’t know if firing him really was the right course of action at all.

But Darker+more feminine equals less sexy? That’s a stupid statement no matter how you slice it, so I don’t know why someone who’s working on something that needs to be sold would be so tactless.

58. David Curry
    David Curry
    February 6, 2018 at 6:28 pm

I thought I read The Last Night is set in a cyberpunk dystopia where the feminists won.

59. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    February 6, 2018 at 6:46 pm

They also said that the reason there aren’t any guns in the game is because guns are scary and should be banned.

60. Shattno
    Shattno
    February 6, 2018 at 6:47 pm

Sucks for him, but he did this to himself. Freedom of expression doesn’t mean freedom from consequences of expressing your opinion. If you work for a company you are representing that company and they can fire you for saying the wrong things, this is nothing new, it’s just business. And before someone comes screaming about “leftists”, let me assure you that it’s just as easy to lose a job for expressing a leftwing opinion, trust me, I know from experience.

(Also, how hard is it to make an anonymous twitter account, not the sharpest tool in the shed this one.)

61. GamesGoodMeGood
    GamesGoodMeGood
    February 6, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Yeah, I don’t like or agree with his opinions

Well that’s a shocker from you.

So you’re not sure on whether firing him was the right course of action?

The right course of action should be painfully obvious if you’re a tolerant and open-minded person.

62. PChandler
    PChandler
    February 6, 2018 at 6:59 pm

People all over the world are getting sick of this, not authoritarian but TOTALITARIAN fringe cult, noisy yet fringe above all: Recent Subnautica reviews are no longer Overwhelmingly Positive, it’s dropping fast! Western Civilization, is mostly characterized nowadays by conflict avoidance, most people just wanna live their lives and be left alone… and play games like is the case here. But they need to speak up and confront those who wanna impose their bigoted, narrow-minded sociopathic ways on-or-offline, whether it’s on Twatter, RAPEGAF, RAPETERA. or in the real world. Don’t be silent! Confront them whenever, wherever.

I remember watching that launch livestream of theirs. They bitched about being a family friendly title and whatnot, yet they were and are perfectly with a guy named EatMyDiction heavily promoting their game to the point of inviting him to host their show, nothing duplicitous about that ? and I remember this dev guy touching over-and-over his fellow male co-workers in the most awkward ways, it reminded me of that MadTV workplace harassment sketch. If he had done that to female coworkers instead, you would have heard about it by now from the usual suspects, for sure.

I regret those hours spent with this game, wish I could refund that buggy, glitchy mess. Wanna play a good survival, crafting game without coward devs? Buy something like The Forest. Or Factorio, by Czechs ?. That Bermuda – Lost Survival game looks good too.

63. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    February 6, 2018 at 7:17 pm

I identify as a chocolate donut and to those who got this man fired just for having an opinion i just say this;karma is a bitch.

64. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    February 6, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Won’t take long,these degenerate libtards always have skeletons in their closet.

65. GameZard
    GameZard
    February 6, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Good thing I don’t buy shitty early access games.

66. GameZard
    GameZard
    February 6, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Pro censorship huh?

67. GamesGoodMeGood
    GamesGoodMeGood
    February 6, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Witch-hunting and firing someone for having an opinion. Not to mention some absolutely cringe-worthy SJW feminist virtue-signaling.

This pathetic excuse of a developer/company should now be boycotted along with the game itself.

68. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    February 6, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Good thing i avoid indie shit like the plague.

69. Shattno
    Shattno
    February 6, 2018 at 7:43 pm

No, pro business. I think privately owned companies have the right to choose their employees.

70. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    February 6, 2018 at 7:45 pm

True.I also think companies should be able to only hire men and no muslims,agree?

71. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    February 6, 2018 at 8:01 pm

LOL What we have here is a case of buyers remorse in light of the #Metoo witch hunt. Now that it’s backfiring on women they want men to bail them out (so much for not needing men unless its to serve womens needs). Nobody is asking why men are scared to mentor women because nobody gives a fuck about men or their issues. For fucks sake it took the female honey badgers to speak on men’s behalf before people started listening to men’s issues ironic since the men’s movement is over 30 years old! If they really wanna be sincere and fix this problem then maybe do some fucking self reflection.

No, feminists created this fucking mess and they can get themselves out of it.

72. Shattno
    Shattno
    February 6, 2018 at 8:14 pm

I don’t quite agree, but if someones politics or religion gets in the way of company interest I think you should be able to fire them. There is a difference between having an opinion and expressing it. Like if an employee who is representing the company on social media belongs to a political party, fine, but if they share this political view, that’s not ok. Or if someone is a Muslim, fine, but spends their working hours praying instead of working, not ok. Work is work and you should keep your personal life out of it. Obviously different companies have a different stand on this, but as a rule of thumb, keep politics and religion out of the workplace.

73. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    February 6, 2018 at 8:20 pm

Agreed. Localizing is supposed to be one of those thankless jobs where no one notices you…until you fuck up. Now it’s something that determines whether I purchase something or not because so many of them have proven themselves trash.

74. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    February 6, 2018 at 8:21 pm

You seem to be more reasonable then i thought.

75. GamesGoodMeGood
    GamesGoodMeGood
    February 6, 2018 at 8:50 pm

lol, he isn’t.

Firstly, he didn’t even answer your question directly or with any clarity.

And secondly, he says to “keep politics and religion out of the workplace”, but yet completely ignores the fact that Unknown Worlds (the company) were quick to state and impose THEIR OWN SJW politics onto Simon Chylinski to get him fired.

Intellectual dishonesty, be aware of it.

76. kunuri
    kunuri
    February 6, 2018 at 9:23 pm

Under arrest for being correct! Hopefully Subnautica crashes and burns for this. Er, well, drowns.

77. iswear12
    February 6, 2018 at 9:26 pm

You’re a fucking retard. Read my comments, I’m against this shit as much as you. Doesn’t mean I support your cringy internet tough-guy routine way of doing things. Stop fucking embarrassing yourself with pointless walls of text that not only preach to the choir but accomplish nothing but make you look crazed and insane. Calm yourself, holy fucking shit and *please* keep yourself grounded in reality. You’re a foreign exchange college student, not a Navy Seal, not a grandstanding supreme court judge fighting for freedom of speech. you’re talking in a nichegamer comment section *for* the prevailing popular opinion here, you just did it in a cringey, embarrassing fashion. Please get your head checked.

78. random
    random
    February 6, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Crying crocodile tears because a racist asshole was fired

79. iswear12
    February 6, 2018 at 9:27 pm

wew, shills are arriving here of all places. Its kinda hilarious…

80. GameZard
    GameZard
    February 6, 2018 at 9:30 pm

Simply because he can. Is freedom such an unknown concept to you people?

81. GameZard
    GameZard
    February 6, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Get the sand out of your pussy.

82. CRES
    CRES
    February 6, 2018 at 9:53 pm

Well that’s what happens when you allow for free and open discourse.

If only we permanently ban people who think differently from us, then we will have a peaceful and happy forum, just like ResetEra.

83. Pillbugable
    Pillbugable
    February 6, 2018 at 9:55 pm

“You people”? I don’t even know who you’re trying to lump me in with, but I would appreciate it if you didn’t.

All I’m saying is “don’t shit up your own company’s public statements”. Imagine if you were giving a press release or something and one of your subordinates starts making farting sounds. That’s not cool.

This is a more minor case, so he should have just been told off for undermining PR rather than fired for political reasons.

84. iswear12
    February 6, 2018 at 9:57 pm

Eh. If there’s enough paid shills, discussion can be disrupted and manipulated. They shouldn’t be here in the first place and are not natural parts of discussion. I agree that they shouldn’t be permanently banned though; they deserve to be laughed at.
    Though if the volume is great enough, I’d argue that punishments might very well be in order so as not to have this place be ruined, but that’s just my *personal* opinion

85. CRES
    CRES
    February 6, 2018 at 10:04 pm

I find that people like that are easily defeated, afterall their arguments are about as deep and complex as the plot to The Force Awakens. Just ignore them or hold your ground and eventually they will storm off. These guys are not designed for long term combat.

86. Magnifico Ginormous
    Magnifico Ginormous
    February 6, 2018 at 10:22 pm

Admit it the helicopter joke triggered you most.

87. Redrum
    Redrum
    February 6, 2018 at 11:18 pm

Wow, he talked shit and he got hit! What a surprise.

Dude is an idiot. Regardless of whether or not you agree with his opinions, it’s pretty obvious that you shouldn’t post controversial opinions on an account tied to your professional identity. I have zero sympathy for stupidity.

88. Magnifico Ginormous
    Magnifico Ginormous
    February 6, 2018 at 11:32 pm

Bellyfeel, crimethink is doubleplusungood.

89. Magnifico Ginormous
    Magnifico Ginormous
    February 6, 2018 at 11:35 pm

Doublethink is doubleplusgood goodthink.

90. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    February 6, 2018 at 11:43 pm

Regardless of what he said (which I feel it’s being a bit overblown WHAT A SHOCK) I think this part of the chat is the most shitty:

This THIS I feel is the worst fucking part. So what they are basically saying is just because they are non-white, you can’t really disagree with them when it comes to designing the game. You just have to smile; nod and agree with them. YEAH that makes a lot of sense when you are collaborating with a team and have to do TEAM WORK.

Kinda glad I didn’t get this game. It was on my wishlist but you know what, it’s off now. This honestly should have been handled a bit more off the record at least between the company but if they are going to promote this kind of “diversity” in their company, then they can go off a cliff.

91. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    February 6, 2018 at 11:51 pm

Being able to separate the art from the artist is a good thing, shame the kinds of people that spend all day on twitter looking for things to be offended about don’t understand that.

92. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    February 7, 2018 at 12:59 am

Yeah, ResetEra is the worst of the worst of Gaf in an even smaller echochamber.

93. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    February 7, 2018 at 1:01 am

I mean I’ve played games that I loved, but not a fan of the dev. Tim Schafer is one of them. I absolutely love Psychonauts and Grim Fandango. Psychonauts is in my top 5 games of all time.

94. William Lee Twitch
    William Lee Twitch
    February 7, 2018 at 1:59 am

Hey why don’t you tell us about how you know 99 ways to kill a man with your bare hands.

95. Redrum
    Redrum
    February 7, 2018 at 2:25 am

I really liked the part where the government intervened and forced the development company to fire this guy for having opinions that were different from the government’s. Oh wait, that didn’t happen. It was a private entity that made its own executive decision based on its own values.

96. RHELSAGE
    RHELSAGE
    February 7, 2018 at 2:33 am

I can’t even go on about ‘boycott’ in regards to a ‘Murican publisher, cause I already stopped buying Western games. But if I hadn’t, I’d say something along the lines of ‘don’t buy their games.’ Stop giving money to companies that cave to ‘ism groups.

97. Magnifico Ginormous
    Magnifico Ginormous
    February 7, 2018 at 3:38 am

Redrum gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of femininity was hidden beneath the dark mustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two Mountain Dew-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Sister.

98. SevTheBear
    SevTheBear
    February 7, 2018 at 5:17 am

FFS devs needs to stop caring what the Twitter whiners has to say. It will only lead them to their doom.

99. Slizzl
    Slizzl
    February 7, 2018 at 6:46 am

They banned a popular Gwent streamer for tweeting a “homophobic” copypasta the other day. You’re sorely mistaken.

100. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    February 7, 2018 at 9:00 am

I used to think well of some localization companies, but reading some recent posts by Tom Lipschultz diminished that.

101. Jared Bellow
    Jared Bellow
    February 7, 2018 at 9:25 am

Really? Yeah, f these guys.

102. iswear12
    February 7, 2018 at 11:30 am

Yes, there I was laughing at your cringe and internet tough-guy act.
    Stop embarrassing yourself, idiot. Or is this what you do in actual internet arguments and debates as well? If so, do everyone a favor and keep your mouth shut for a while until you can speak like a normal human being.

103. iswear12
    February 7, 2018 at 11:32 am

I do. Just annoying to deal with the more persistent ones. I remember a NISA shill going after me for like 2 days. It was funny to shit on him but it was a bit irritating to have to deal with his retardation in the first place

104. alterku
    alterku
    February 7, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Being able to separate someone’s work from their failures (perceived or otherwise) as a human being is a virtue and should be expected in everything. I was somewhat interested in waiting for the game to go on sale before this, now I don’t want to give the company a dime.

105. alterku
    alterku
    February 7, 2018 at 12:36 pm

I remember something about their twitter account apologizing for a joke or a tweet that offended a snowflake or two. That combined with the downgrading of the PC version of Witcher 3 and relatively stale gameplay has them leaning dangerously close to the pit XSeed/Tom tossed themselves into.

106. Doom Video Vault
    Doom Video Vault
    February 7, 2018 at 1:46 pm

The moment you fire a staff member for something they post on social media, you are doing it for political reasons and become trashy/SJWy.

I don’t want anything to do with Unknown Worlds Entertainment, despite I DID purchase the game way before this and put about 8 hours into the game. How about letting me play in 1920×1080 without awful pillarboxing on the sides?

107. Doom Video Vault
    Doom Video Vault
    February 7, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Take your politically motivated bullcrap elsewhere. You’d fit right in with those Antifa jerks too.

108. Doom Video Vault
    Doom Video Vault
    February 7, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Viscera Cleanup Detail is a great indie game and there’s no bullcrap surrounding them.

109. iswear12
    February 7, 2018 at 2:04 pm

I believe it, but can you provide a sauce?

110. iswear12
    February 7, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Disagree. A lot of it is, but not all and far less of a percentage than the AAA shit that’s come out in the last 6-7 years.
    Indies are probably 35-50% SJW games and 50% apolitical. Problem is that the ones you’ll hear about on gaming outlets are SJW-pushed. There’s a lot of people on itch.io who don’t deserve an SJW moniker, but everyone at places like the IGDA are hopeless.
    For every gone homo there’s a cuphead and every subnautica there’s an axiom verge or a hollow knight
    There’s also a lot of japanese indie games with no SJW traits whatsoever if you know where to look. Hard to put SJW things into games like shmups for example

111. iswear12
    February 7, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Truly this dude’s politics had to do with subnautica’s fucking sound design right? He was clearly at risk for inserting anti-muslim propaganda and alex jones soundbytes into subnautica’s OST?
    Fucking hell it was utterly irrelevant, imagine if I’d caught something you’d said in a lunchroom conversation with your mates and used it to get you fired, even if it was entirely irrelevant to the company and your job.
    That’s what this was.”Freedom from consequences”, Pfft. so much for “freedom of speech” right? Lemme guess, are you anti-regulation for companies as well, but also anti-government? Its only wrong when the government censors, not companies with massive power who are aiming to gain more power and influence right?
    Let’s ignore how much power facebook and google have; let’s ignore how a select few people control the vast majority of the world’s media institutions. Let’s also ignore how these same people exert massive power OVER GOVERNMENTS AND GOVERNMENT BRANCHES THEMSELVES because only governments can censor, private companies are exempt from laws.
    What the fuck is even this logic? Am I allowed to kill someone? Can I just put a “trespassers will be shot” sign on my private property and that would justify me in shooting people? I am a private entity after all and this is my private property.
    Fucking hell, there *should* be laws in place for this, after all there’s anti-discrimination laws for shit like sexual orientation, and race but not for basic shit like your freedom of speech?
    What the fuck is that bullshit?

112. Shattno
    Shattno
    February 7, 2018 at 3:00 pm

You’re making assumptions and putting words in my mouth. So to clarify: I’m pro business but also pro government, I believe there is a balance. I absolutely believe companies should be regulated, to some extent. Again, balance. I do believe that it’s only censorship when the government is doing it, but that doesn’t mean it’s ethical when companies are doing what amounts to the same thing, and we should absolutely not ignore how much power large companies have. The problem comes from the lack of competition, which makes companies like FB have a de facto monopoly. I don’t know about shooting trespassers, you made that logic leap, not me, personally I don’t think anyone should kill anyone, but I’m silly that way.

About freedom of speech: it’s exactly like I wrote, it just means that the government is not allowed to prevent you from expressing your opinion, what is commonly known as censorship, but it says nothing of the consequences of the action of expressing those opinions. You are free to say whatever you want, but if because of what you say your friends stop hanging out with you, your parents cut you out of the will, the local bar refuses to serve you, and your employer chooses to terminate you employment, that’s on you, you brought this on yourself.

Now, about the case in matter: What the guy did was not talk politics with his pals during lunch. When the company put up a poll on twitter, communicating with it’s customers, this guy openly mocks it and is being political about it, this isn’t exactly desired behavior from a employee. It’s the reveled that he had written more political stuff on twitter. I don’t know if you know this, but a lot of companies have clauses in the contracts stating that while employed at the company you are also representing that company on social media and thus certain rules apply.
    You are right that there are discrimination laws for sexual orientation and race, but also political opinion and religion. If he was fired for his political opinion he could sue for wrongful termination, but I don’t think he was, he was probably fired over breach of contract, probably because he had a social media clause in his contract.

Anyway, that’s my $0.02.

113. iswear12
    February 7, 2018 at 3:10 pm

>You are free to say whatever you want, but if because of what you say
    your friends stop hanging out with you, your parents cut you out of the
    will, the local bar refuses to serve you, and your employer chooses to
    terminate you employment, that’s on you, you brought this on yourself.
    One of these things is not like the others. Alienation of people is entirely different from something like fucking employment at a profession.

>If he was fired for his political opinion he could sue for wrongful
    termination, but I don’t think he was, he was probably fired over breach
    of contract, probably because he had a social media clause in his
    contract.
    Pfft. I sincerely doubt that. That poll was over a year ago. It would’ve been used as an excuse at best, the main reason was that he was witch-hunted for his other tweets, which happened in the *now*.
    > I don’t know about shooting trespassers, you made that logic leap, not
    me, personally I don’t think anyone should kill anyone, but I’m silly
    that way.
    I’m asking you if you think it should be legal for me to do that. Not what you personally think about the killing part.
    >the reveled that he had written more political stuff on twitter. I don’t
    know if you know this, but a lot of companies have clauses in the
    contracts stating that while employed at the company you are also
    representing that company on social media and thus certain rules apply.
    What a nice system. I see nothing wrong with this. If you are an employee of any company ever you can’t say anything without risking termination if someone decides to fuck with you for whatever reason they want, like purely for giggles.
    That’s fucking WRONG.
    I equate what he did to, yes, talking with his pals at lunch. Either way I view it as bullshit. I also view the company as filth as a result of this. They *should* be forced to remove his work as well from the game if the situation were just at all but they won’t do that. instead they reap the benefits of the work, kick him off to the curb and its fine because he signed a contract to be fucked in the ass for it and to be demonized on social media for times longer.
    Its fucking wrong.

114. PChandler
    PChandler
    February 7, 2018 at 3:38 pm

You’re from the country that produces the largest amount of serial killers and non-terrorist related mass shooters, dwarfing any other. And you’re talking about murdering and committing homicide on dozens, a hundred people. Beyond parody! Can’t make this stuff up. Keep projecting, it’s amusing, really ?

115. GamesGoodMeGood
    GamesGoodMeGood
    February 7, 2018 at 3:47 pm

I wouldn’t, he’s still defended Unknown Worlds despite them firing him.

116. Shattno
    Shattno
    February 7, 2018 at 3:48 pm

But if you alienate you employer, why should he employ you?

Yes, his other tweets, which were also political.

“Over the weekend we discovered that one of our team members had made
    many hateful statements online that are against our company values.
    After discussing the matter with him, we decided to stop working with
    him immediately.”

I haven’t read his contract, but if the company values are in it, he’s fucked. If not, he should sue.

Killing should be illegal. Part of living in a society is that we loose some of our rights (the right to indiscriminately kill other humans) in order to gain some security or comfort (being less afraid of being murdered)

You don’t see anything wrong with it? Imagine you own a company and hire some guy. This guy then turns out out to be a hard core Nazi/communist who spends his free time tweeting about how he thinks people should be gassed/sent to the gulag. You start to loose customers when they realize where he works. Do you see the problem here?

I understand what you mean, but a contract is a contract, that’s reality. Maybe he should have joined a union and let them negotiate his contract, that’s how I do it.

You are absolutely right, it’s utter shit that you have to be anonymous on the internet. Wouldn’t it be nice if we lived in a world where people didn’t judge each other as much. You are right in that we are heading down a dangerous road. Shit, the internet is a fucking infant, it has existed a mere second in human history, these problems are the problems that we need to figure out in the coming decades, because one thing is certain, the internet is not going away. What solution do you suggest? Personally I have high hopes for IP6.

117. iswear12
    February 7, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Employment is handled in more of a business and legal context than a social sense. Imagine if your employer could fire you simply just for not liking you. That’s what this equates to. I also think that in a court of law, Subnautica’s company would be hard-pressed to argue that these tweets caused financial damage to their company. They’re practically benign, I’ve seen more edgier things than that on an anti-tumblr subreddit from like 4 or 5 years ago. Extreme behavior is a bit more understandable from that sense, but I still don’t like the idea of firing someone because of it if its not relevant to their position. There is almost no way anyone can argue that social media opinions can have anything to do with Subnautica’s sound design and that’s clear from even a cursory glance.

Unions also have their problems as well. I can at least agree with you on a balance of power being important, but I know from my grandfather how the opposite problem of unions having too much power can destroy businesses and ruin things for everyone not part of a business and hurt communities as a whole. I also speak from living in one of the most corrupt States in the U.S. so I’m pessimistic about everything, naturally. I also don’t know how many unions exist in the video game industry that would even be willing to protect him but I’ve heard of next to none.

As for the killing question, its in the context of someone being on your private property, not *entirely* indiscriminately but you can see the problem i hope. Murder in self-defense isn’t illegal in a some contexts. Does that make it right if I try to use that argument for killing anyone how I please if I use it and try to manipulate it for my own advantage?
    That’s what I feel like a lot of modern companies have done.

In terms of the privacy question, I really do not know. Ideally more people being concerned and outright refusing to use company services and protecting themselves online would put a damper on efforts to do so but as it is…. I don’t think any new technology can suitably be relied on unless it applied to everyone currently using the internet, just because of how far-reaching the data mining and loss of anonymity has occurred.

118. iswear12
    February 7, 2018 at 4:57 pm

What a fucking joke. That’s immensely disappointing.

119. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    February 7, 2018 at 5:45 pm

The problem is that nearly all Western companies dealing with games, music, comics, movies, etc are like this. When an industry becomes saturated with people like this, they take active measures to maintain ideological purity and keep out dissenting viewpoints. It isn’t illegal, but it does show great intolerance on their part.

120. Shattno
    Shattno
    February 7, 2018 at 6:34 pm

I understand what you mean, but I think it’s more complicated that that. Imagine being an employer having to work with someone you hate and having no way of getting that person out of your company. Look, I’m all for workers rights, but there needs to be a balance between what the employer wants and what the employee wants, and this is where a contract comes into play.
    Yeah, in a court they would definitely have to show that, but I don’t think it would be that hard, plenty of SJWs would happily boycott the company for tweets like that, just like people here would boycott a company for making SJW tweets. I get that you don’t like how you can get fired over something that’s not directly tied to your work, in this case sound design, but that’s not really the issue. It’s more that a company expects it’s employees to behave a certain way when representing the company as to not be associated with certain opinions, usually opinions that are unpopular with their target demographic. An example of what can happen when a company is associated with certain opinions would be the case of one of my favorite beers, the Sculpin IPA. It’s brewed by the company Ballast Point, and they publicly stated that they supported Trump. This lead to pretty much all restaurants and bars over here to boycott the company, so now I can only get Sculpin from the government monopoly, because they don’t care about stuff like that. I doubt that Ballast Point care much about loosing some sales to Sweden, and I’m not saying what happened with Subnautica is the same. But it’s still a fact that Ballast Point lost sales because of a public political opinion, this is a very real thing.

Unions are not perfect, not by a long shot, but I also think they work slightly different depending on where you are in the world. I don’t know about the US, but over here he would have been welcome into several unions, the serious ones don’t care about the personal opinions of the workers they represent.

I would argue that if this trespasser makes you fear for your life you have the right to use deadly violence, but if it’s just some guy taking a shortcut over your lawn, killing him might be a bit much.
    Do you mean like taunt someone until they attack you and then kill them and claim self defense? You would probably be in your right as far as the law go (I’m not a jurist, so I don’t know), but it wouldn’t be very ethical.

The thing with IPv6 is that it could potentially make it impossible to know what IP address belongs to who. I think it’s a step in the right direction, but there needs to be some kind of legislation as well. Like if I send a letter to someone it’s against the law for anyone but the recipient to open it, and there is no law that says I have to sign the letter with my name. The same should apply to packets sent over the internet as well. Also everyone should just start encrypting everything.

121. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    February 7, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Smart move, they’ve also announced they’re going full diversity hiring from now on as well because the company is mostly white males.

122. Shattno
    Shattno
    February 7, 2018 at 6:36 pm

I don’t know, maybe. I guess people just try to be the change they want to see in the world?

123. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    February 7, 2018 at 6:38 pm

More similar to a religious cult, I’d say.

124. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    February 7, 2018 at 6:46 pm

CD Red Project is claiming he harassed their employees which sounds like the typical excuse defense.

125. iswear12
    February 7, 2018 at 7:14 pm

>Imagine being an employer having to work with someone you hate and having no way of getting that person out of your company.
    Its one of those things where its hard for me to view that as fair. If they broke some rules, fine. If they didn’t and they just piss you off, I don’t consider that right to try and get them fired. They do their job, you don’t like them, deal with it. A company isn’t a home where you can kick out anyone you please. If you make up some bullshit rules to get them fired, or apply the rules unfairly to them because you don’t like them, its technically discrimination and even if its legal, its wrong. There’s a lot of ambiguity in terms of legality when it comes to modern times. I personally feel that that should eventually be changed for this type of thing. Companies just have too much power in contractual relationships with their employees, and it seems like there’s a lot more reasons to fire someone than there is for an employee to quit at any time.
    > It’s more that a company expects it’s employees to behave a certain way
    when representing the company as to not be associated with certain
    opinions, usually opinions that are unpopular with their target
    demographic.
    This is what’s mind-boggling to me. Its effectively saying that if the higher-ups of any company don’t like your *personal* opinions on something, they can out you from the company, and you aren’t safe anywhere you go where this is the case and it seems like a lot of companies share the same viewpoint. With how corrupt the game industry has become, it’ll be hard for this person to find work, and everything he did for the company was wasted.
    Its fucking bullshit that you can’t give your own personal opinions anymore without “representing” some company. You can’t have conversations in different circles without some vultures circling, ready to ruin your life at a moment’s notice.
    Also I’d argue that your example of a beer company doing that seems to be from the higher-ups themselves. I wouldn’t have been surprised if that had happened to them. Its unfortunate, but they made a decision *as a company* not as private individuals. If the CEO had said in his personal twitter in a conversation with someone else that he supported Trump, they wouldn’t really deserve that level of boycott. That’s a CEO’s opinion as a person (though in his case, being a CEO carries much more business responsibility than a run of the mill employee so in *that* case at least its understandable that something like that were to happen). If its a company-pushed opinion, then that’s more than fair. I’d side with the boycotters in that case, well not personally but in principle. Its their right to boycott who they please (so long as they aren’t breaking any laws through blacklisting or collusion in doing so).
    Also SJWs aren’t known for buying games, and twitter-anything, especially political drama surrounding a tertiary member of a team is not reflective of potential or lost sales and this has been proven time and again,
    If you can point to a single lost sale or a few lost sales, maybe a few hundred let’s say, and ignore the *net* value this employee has brought to a company through their soundtrack, which *has* been praised by reviewers then you don’t really have a case for arguing lost sales (which also only exist in a potential or theoretical state). Net benefit far exceeds a few potential lost sales and this will continue to be true as the subnautica soundtrack hasn’t been altered and is already finished and pushed out. Sound is a critical portion to subnautica as well.
    If anything the amount of people who are willing to *not* buy the game have increased, and the people who regret their purchases and will not support subnautica any further has drastically risen as a result of their actions, and that is much more provable, especially through people’s histories here and on other gaming forums than some people on twitter.

In terms of the trespasser thing, you answered reasonably I suppose. “Killing him might be a bit much” is indeed true, he is not protected from the law from murdering that person, he doesn’t have a self-defense claim, but he does if he can prove that there is a *reasonable* threat to his life. That’s what I wish I could see more of in the current environment. I want some parity and some responsibility and accountability on the company’s part to own up to when they fire someone. Its necessary in discrimination cases, and yet not all forms of discrimination are covered by the law. This is what I feel is missing right now. Employee parity and corporate accountability, and I feel its only going to get worse as time goes on.

126. Lea Pastillaroja
    Lea Pastillaroja
    February 7, 2018 at 9:28 pm

another developer added to the black list
    enjoy pandering to SJW faggots who don’t play games, these kind of nhiche titles relly mostly on word of mouth and now they have meme magic against them for siding with leftards
    Subnautica will be the new Law/Breakers

127. William Lee Twitch
    William Lee Twitch
    February 7, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Tell us why your mother hates you so much.

128. diru90
    diru90
    February 7, 2018 at 9:58 pm

It is really weird how the vast majority of indie devs are libtard wackos. Not sure what’s up with that.

129. Shattno
    Shattno
    February 8, 2018 at 8:05 am

The thing is that they might very well be breaking the rules, if it says so in their contract. Pissing your boss off and vice versa is kind of expected, and that usually doesn’t get you fired, but when it does it has do do with that person disrupting the company. Keeping a functioning workplace is part of doing your job. And no, a company is not a home, it’s a privately owned enterprise that, according to capitalist doctrine, serves one single purpose, to generate as much capital as possible for the owner. I know how this sounds, but it’s not a human right to work for a company, the company will hire you if they think that will increase profit and likewise fire you if they think that will increase profit (or at least lessen the decrease). You say that companies have to much contractual power, but a contract is signed by both parties, if the employee dislikes the terms they should not sign it, or better yet, renegotiate. I know it doesn’t work exactly like this in reality, I myself have signed contracts I didn’t like because I needed the work or because the work was so interesting that it was worth it. But I mean whats the alternative? More government control? Syndicalism? I’m not saying the situation is optimal, but it’s the reality we live in.

That’s not really what I mean, and I understand what you are saying, of course you should be able to have a personal opinion, but when you start expressing it openly it can become a problem. Try to view it from the other side, that it was your company that had hired someone who behaves in a way you don’t like, in a way that could hurt the company, what should you do? And of course you represent the company you work for. Imagine if Disney hired an animator and that animator has the opinion that the age of consent should be lowered to like 9 or something, and expresses this opinion publicly. How do you think the world would react? Do you think parents would want their kids watching something animated by an pedophile? Should Disney just sit on their hands and say “oh, well, it’s his personal opinion, so we can’t do anything” and watch the company burn to the ground. (Exaggerations I know, but it’s the principle)
    The beer company thing is different I know, it was an example of what happens when you mix politics and business.

I don’t know if SJWs buys games or not, I don’t know if twitter is reflective of lost sales or not. How do you know, and more importantly, how does the company know? This is the data they have to work with. I’m not claiming that they made the right decision, I’m just defending their right to make it.

I agree with you that companies should not be able to fire people in any way they want, like you say discrimination laws prevent that. And you have a point, those laws should probably be extended and improved. A very real problem that arises is that if you make it increasingly hard to fire people companies won’t take the risk of hiring in the first place, and puts a huge damper on the economy. Clearly a balance needs to be found.

With Chick Fil-A it depends. I mean if he posts stuff on social media it can become a problem. Is he representing the company while making these posts? Does he mention the company in these posts? How will the public perceive it? Are they doing it because they dislike his opinions or because it would hurt sales? Compare it with the Disney example above, would it have the same impact on sales?
    I agree that companies should take more responsibility, but how do you achieve that? I also think that both people and companies should behave ethically, but how do you force them to do that? And is it ethical to force someone to behave ethically? I’m sorry, I don’t really have the answers, just more questions.

130. iswear12
    February 8, 2018 at 9:33 am

>And no, a company is not a home, it’s a privately owned enterprise
    that, according to capitalist doctrine, serves one single purpose, to
    generate as much capital as possible for the owner.
    In my personal opinion, this is where my opinion differs greatly with yours. Its this kind of mercenary thinking by businesses and businessmen that have helped ruin ethics in the corporate world. When people care the utmost about making money, more so than enjoying providing a quality product or service. Ideally it would be considered equal to that, but that’s not the case. Its the difference between a mom and pop store and Walmart as a corporation, and there’s plenty of in-betweens between those as well. I took a basic business law class by a very liberal professor originally from California, the most liberal state in the U.S., and both he and the textbook he used admitted that ethics in business has near-universally fallen, conveniently as consequentialism has risen. Its one of those things where its like “damn” and one of the reasons why I tend to side with the consumer or the worker over the business, because as you say, all the business does to exist is make money these days over actually providing a purpose for me. Whether they do a good job or satisfy their customers is merely tangential, and if they can make more money pissing off their customers (if that were possible, which through some of the tactics they use, it might very well be) they will do it. I’m that cynical of companies, and if they can’t be trusted to act ethically, well… I start to lean more towards the side of regulation. You can only get away with shady shit for so long before you start getting smacked around by someone who feels that their mistreatment borders enough or crosses enough lines legally to warrant an investigation or audit.
    And yeah, you can argue that someone can simply choose not to work in a company, but as companies gain more power, and as you say, it is a company’s desire to gain as much money as possible, that means pushing out their competitors when possible through any means necessary…
    I am currently taking an informations systems course (junior rn) and right now we’re focusing on the business side of things. Have you heard of Porter’s five forces? It sounds, frankly, disturbing in the hands of a strong company. In Walmart’s case, they hold power and the biggest threat to them is customer power. They have only a little worry about substitutes. They’re known for bullying their suppliers. They have done fantastically well, even outright crushing new entrants and their current rivals, the biggest thing they have to aim to reduce is a customer’s ability to walk across the street to shop at target instead. They do their best to lock a customer in with things like loyalty and rewards programs, offer features that would make it hard to leave their network, own stores like Sam’s Clubs to sweeten the deal, etc.
    I see these things from the perspective of a consumer and an employee and am disgusted. I don’t feel customer power has increased. I feel its decreased and I feel as customers, despite our options increasing thanks to the internet, mega corporations like Amazon and so forth can take advantage of their massive infrastructures and information capacity along with strategic targeting to keep customer in their boat until they realize they’re getting shafted while these companies grow at their expense. Google and Facebook are outright using propaganda and censorship to achieve their own means of brainwashing and having their “ideal” target audiences, where, for lack of a better word, everyone turns into a passive sheep, waiting to be fleeced and brainwashed. In smaller, but still crazier markets like the online video game and gacha industry, you can see this with the exploitation of people called “whales”. That’s how they make their money. You’ve heard of that, right? Do you consider it right at all? Its one of the tactics to use against the five forces, the entire freemium business model I mean. It skirts around the power of consumers by exploiting a select few, your most vulnerable audience to the extreme and near inoculates the company from losing them unless a massive amount of players leave, and thus less people for the whales to interact with, and that doesn’t happen too often these days.
    >And of course you represent the company you work for. Imagine if Disney
    hired an animator and that animator has the opinion that the age of
    consent should be lowered to like 9 or something, and expresses this
    opinion publicly. How do you think the world would react? Do you think
    parents would want their kids watching something animated by an
    pedophile? Should Disney just sit on their hands and say “oh, well, it’s
    his personal opinion, so we can’t do anything” and watch the company
    burn to the ground. (Exaggerations I know, but it’s the principle)
    Err…. dude? You know what’s going on at places like Disney and Nickeleodeon right? You’ve at least heard of “Hold her tighter, she’s a fighter” Dan Schneider? Companies have big power, they can do whatever they want if they consider these people in particular to be an asset. Disney is not an above-board company in this regard either; I’d have to see if they have their own dan schneider but I’m pretty sure they did, just can’t remember names offhand. The people at the top of these massive companies are near-absolute scum, almost without fail.
    Did you forget all the journos defending Alison Rapp, pro-pedophilia/Age-of-Consent lowering and PR person of NoA, calling what she went through a “harassment and smear campaign”? Ironically she got fired for entirely different reasons, but I’m willing to bet that her pro-pedo posts being discovered were probably either the primary reason (despite the company saying otherwise, kinda like what happened with Subnautica) or at least went into consideration from the top people before she got fired.
    In terms of the contract thing, its hard to renegotiate without a union, so if you’re in an industry without much union power, you’re SOL, or am I incorrect? And considering the business’s objectives as I stated before… It’d be nice if they had a responsibility to provide gainful employment, but the fall in ethics means that if mistreating their employees is profitable *and they can get away with it* they would do it. Would you consider that to be a healthy business environment? I personally don’t, and that’s one of the big reasons why I feel more regulation is needed. Its one of those things where not working at a company isn’t as much of an option as it used to be because of the homogenization of companies and the general strength and power of mega-corporations have massively increased within the last 2 decades, oh, along with employee power decreasing.
    > I also think that both people and companies should behave ethically,
    but how do you force them to do that? And is it ethical to force someone
    to behave ethically?
    Its one of those things where its more of just stopping things before they head down a slippery slope. I feel meaningful limits and boundaries should be changed. Do you feel laws and legislation have kept up with everything that’s been formed since the internet was created? All the new types of crime and whatnot? How much legislation has been done since the advent and about cryptocurrency for example? I just view it more as *this* type of legislation just needing to change with the times is all. I feel some absolute boundary needs to be established, as the old ones aren’t sufficient any more in my opinion to cover everything.
    I agree that both should act and behave ethically, but companies have more of a responsibility to due to the power they wield, and they should also be scrutinized more deeply as a result of such power. Unions are the “people” equivalent of corporations but those don’t exist nearly as much as these companies do, and those should be looked at as well, but outside of unions? Its almost free game for companies to abuse people as they see fit, and I don’t like the idea of having to rely on a union to protect your rights and abilities rather than being empowered as an employee to do that. It’d be nice that, living in a western world, we’d have some friggin’ power against these companies.

131. Zaharak - Dragon Emperor
    Zaharak - Dragon Emperor
    February 8, 2018 at 7:16 pm

This game already lost me when it was discovered that the developer responsible for not letting guns in supported his position with erroneously-filled statistics about guns, but now this? I suspect the sound designer would’ve found himself in a hostile work environment in time, given those issues.

132. Shattno
    Shattno
    February 8, 2018 at 7:39 pm

It’s not really my opinion, it’s just how capitalism works, making money is the driving force, if you don’t make money you get absorbed by you competitors, it’s almost evolutionary. Now, I’m not saying capitalism is perfect, far from it, just as you pointed out there are some really shitty people out there who would feed their greed with slave labor if they could get away with it. So yes, of course there needs to be some regulation from the government to ensure some level of ethic behavior. I’m not saying no regulation, Swedish companies are very regulated, but I don’t think to much regulation is good either. Like, a company that times their employees bathroom time and give them a pay cut if they spend more that 10 minutes in there per day is, I would say, pretty horrible. If we now regulate this so that the company can no longer have a say in the the employees bathroom time people are going to start spending a lot of time in the bathroom, you know the old saying “Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that’s why I shit on company time”, this is obviously not good for business. There is of course a middle way here, let them go to the bathroom like human beings but be able to say “dude, you spend 25% of your work time on the john, start eating some fiber or find another job”.
    I can understand you cynicism against companies, I can get pissed off at companies to. Like why am I paying €100 for a pair of sneakers that cost €1 to manufacture? Also they are probably made with child labor. It’s like they say, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. You mention both Walmart’s reward system, and freemium and whales, both things that could be classified as gamification. I’m currently taking a university class on advanced interaction design (mostly for shits and giggles, it’s free after all) and I have read a lot about that, and that shit is scary. Making people do things by triggering their basic instincts, that’s just evil, it’s like selling liquor to an alcoholic or lottery tickets to a gambling addict. If anything need to be regulated, it’s that. So I guess I’m more on your side when it comes to consumers but more on the company’s side when it comes to employees. I think it’s because when I work for a company I feel like I’m part of something, something bigger than me, and I’m extremely loyal to that company. Sure, the higher ups are all about the money and for them the company is a means to an end, but for me and my team, we are doing something cool and fun, and if the price I have to pay is to not publicly tweet about politics, I’ll gladly pay it. I understand that other people may feel different, but this is where I come from.

Dude, I have no clue whats happening at Disney or Nickelodeon, but I always thought that the Dan thing was a meme. But for all I know he’s a rapist and pedophile, but he’s not tweeting about it, and that was my point, even if they are scum, they don’t want the world to know, because that’s bad business.
    I did not forget Alison, how could I. Interestingly I see some people on here that were screaming for her head to roll and is now crying foul, but I expect nothing less from this place. Speaking of her, I find it fascinating that she managed to turn the whole thing to her advantage and is apparently making good money selling nudes on patreon. We truly live in interesting times.

As I said earlier, unions are probably different depending on where you live. Over here there are strong unions for most industries, and several unions that will take you on as a member regardless of where you work, and unions themselves help each other out to. And yes the companies will try to fuck the workers over if they can, and no it’s not a healthy work environment, and that’s precisely why unions exist in the first place.

I’m not saying that I want these evil mega corporations from some dystopian cyberpunk novel, I’m say that I would like it if you could run a company without having to watch half-wits and conspiracy nuts ruin what you built from the inside. Really, what companies should do is to just provide all their employees with anonymous twitter accounts and say “If you feel like spreading shit on the internet, then use this anonymous account, no one here wants to hear you political ramblings anyway and this way when you embarrass yourself, at least no one can trace it back here and make us look bad”

133. iswear12
    February 11, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Late as fuck response, didn’t feel like writing a full one.
    I respect your opinion and will agree to disagree here; too tired to defend my points, lel.
    Good on you by the way for having the thick skin to keep hanging around here. First time I saw your comments I didn’t think much of you, but you at least have balls to stick around even in a place where a lot of people disagree with you and you stood up for your viewpoints. If nothing else, I have to respect that.

134. Shattno
    Shattno
    February 12, 2018 at 6:18 pm

All right, it’s cool, I’m swamped with work anyway, so sure, let’s agree to disagree :)
    Haha, shit, I can take some crap from strangers on the net, it doesn’t bother me. Hell, I think part of the reason I like to hang out here is that a lot of people disagree with me. If you only talk to people with the same opinions as yours, you’re stuck in an echo chamber, and what good is that?
    Anyways, nice talking to you :)

135. Gray
    Gray
    February 20, 2018 at 1:26 am

Oh. This is actually a lot worse than I thought the situation was. I actually think the fact the director of the game put up that poll is more damning than firing somebody who maybe wasn’t fitting in with company culture…? I mean, he did manage to make a full game with them. And the sound is incredible.

But that poll…? “Adding a female character model” should not even remotely be on the director’s mind. That shouldn’t even be a possibility. Ignoring that it’s a first person game and the protagonist you’re playing isn’t really the point of the game in the first place, the core game needs a LOT of work. It’s a wonderful game and easily worth the 25 dollars but man is it buggy. It runs poorly. Areas of the map don’t load right all the time and man does that fuck with immersion, so to speak.

Like, that poll should never have gone up at this point. That makes me worry deeply about the dev team’s priorities and whether I can I expect actual improvements to the game/future games in this vein. I’m saying this as someone who is part of the niche Subnautica serves, and I am reasonably certain the hate mob that got riled up is not part of that niche.

What a mess. :/