You Can Buy Virtual Land in Star Citizen Now But Can’t Utilize It

In a brazen move to offer more digital things that may never actually be made or finished, Roberts Space Industries and Cloud Imperium Games are now letting Star Citizen users purchase digital land.

You read that right – you can by virtual plots of land on virtual planets that neither exist nor are accessible in the game world, yet.

Here’s the two sizes you can purchase land in currently:

• 50$ – This certificate entitles you to claim a single 4km x 4km parcel of UEE land that has been zoned for commercial, residential or industrial use as well as a GEOTACK marking beacon.
  • 100$ – This certificate entitles you to claim a single 8km x 8km parcel of UEE land that has been zoned for commercial, residential or industrial use as well as a GEOTACK-X marking beacon.

The caveat here is that you’re not picking out your plot of land right now because everything is still theoretical and not actually made or mapped out yet.

You’re purchasing a right to claim a plot of land once you see it, in game. It’s also worth pointing out that Roberts Space Industries will also offer these via in-game credits, or through regular play in the game.

The community behind the game are questioning it, like this Reddit thread where longtime users are wondering how a mechanic (probably) several years from implementation is being offered now, to buy.

Our last cumulative report on Star Citizen was back when the game reached around $150 million in crowdfunding, while at the same time postponing their release date indefinitely.

Since the original Kickstarter, Star Citizen has been split into three projects: Star Citizen, Squadron 42, and Star Marine. Star Citizen is the MMO, Squadron 42 is the single-player campaignand Star Marine is a first-person shooter spinoff.

How do you feel about the current state of Star Citizen and its development? Sound off in the comments below!

1. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    November 30, 2017 at 12:44 am

“There’s a sucker born every minute”

November 30, 2017 at 12:46 am

On a completely unrelated note I have a bridge to sell if anyone’s interested.

3. Heresy Hammer
    Heresy Hammer
    November 30, 2017 at 12:47 am

Shill citizen

4. Jack
    Jack
    November 30, 2017 at 12:53 am

Let me sell you the exclusive rights to this plot of land on Mars!

5. BeakieHelmet
    BeakieHelmet
    November 30, 2017 at 1:01 am

Star Marine is not a spinoff, it’s just the cheeky in-universe name for the FPS deathmatch. Like how Arena Commander is the cheeky in-universe name for ship-based deathmatch.

As for the game itself, I’m still hesitantly optimistic. They’ve shown actual progress and 3.0 is out for playtesting and in my hands, the real question to me is if they can ever get the servers to function at higher than 22 fps on the PTU and if they don’t run out of funding taking so long. If they can’t get higher than 22 fps there’s no way anyone will play it, and if they run out of funding they’re obviously done.

Supposedly an actual update on Squadron 42 soon. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if that still exists.

On this land thing, I’m not buying it, but I’d say it’s nothing new. Several ships that were sold long ago still aren’t in the game or anywhere near done, like the Merchantman they showed off recently. I think the whales of the game and the hardcore fans are more than patient and eager to “throw money at a dream” so to speak. How’s a plot of land that doesn’t exist and you can’t utilize until 3-4 years from now any different from a starship that doesn’t exist and you can’t utilize for 3-4 years?

6. Kakaku
    Kakaku
    November 30, 2017 at 1:55 am

I don’t know what it is about games in space that makes people empty their wallets.

7. entropy
    entropy
    November 30, 2017 at 2:53 am

Better get in quick!

Those virtual plots in an unfinished virtual universe may sell out fast. Don’t risk waiting to see if the game is ever finished, buy now!

8. RPG
    RPG
    November 30, 2017 at 4:07 am

Financial Darwinism at its finest.

9. 2501
    2501
    November 30, 2017 at 5:49 am

Next thing CIG announce is that you can buy the anal virginity of the crew members. $100 please.

Fuck this game.

10. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    November 30, 2017 at 5:58 am

When will the Star Citizen meme end?

11. PenguinPlayer
    PenguinPlayer
    November 30, 2017 at 6:16 am

Is this a late April Fools joke? Like, a really late one? No?

Well, they should at least add some (not yet existent) space blackjack and (not yet existent) space hookers to sweeten the deal. I mean, at this point, why not? In fact, I feel like this is the natural evolution of the season pass: buying non-existent DLC for a game that might or might not be released in the future.

12. SevTheBear
    SevTheBear
    November 30, 2017 at 8:01 am

Do they even need the money? This is beyond stupid. If people are buy this, they must have an IQ blow 100.

I played some of the alpha. Yes I gave them some cash back in the day when it was sold as a simple space sim. There is potential for a good space sim here. But the amount of weird BS coming from the dev worries me.

13. SevTheBear
    SevTheBear
    November 30, 2017 at 8:17 am

So what are our chances for seeing it done in 2020?

14. ProxyDoug
    ProxyDoug
    November 30, 2017 at 8:58 am

Can you smell it? The smell of lawsuits in the future.

15. Crizzyeyes
    Crizzyeyes
    November 30, 2017 at 9:32 am

“The community behind the game are questioning it, like this Reddit thread where longtime users are wondering how a mechanic (probably) several years from implementation is being offered now, to buy.”
    So unimplemented ships that aren’t usable are OK because they have a model but fake land claims are where you draw the line? I will never understand whales.

16. ActivistZero
    ActivistZero
    November 30, 2017 at 10:06 am

Star Citizen is just a punch line at this point ain’t it?

17. iswear12
    iswear12
    November 30, 2017 at 10:49 am

Seeing shit like this makes me wanna kill myself. Not because i was retarded enough to contribute money to this (I wasn’t) but the fact that SO many people are. They are the cancer of the gaming industry

18. Tubsiwub
    Tubsiwub
    November 30, 2017 at 11:24 am

If they do finally release the game – I’ll be so far behind in terms of ships and land distribution that it’ll be pointless to even try.

19. alterku
    alterku
    November 30, 2017 at 11:40 am

At least my twenty dollars guarantees me a piece of this class action.

20. Cubed Grapes
    Cubed Grapes
    November 30, 2017 at 1:39 pm

This is the kind of game uninterested people should ignore until release. If it doesn’t release, then said individuals saved themselves a lot of time.

21. GameZard
    GameZard
    November 30, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Scam Citizen is a black hole of money.

22. GameZard
    GameZard
    November 30, 2017 at 5:46 pm

This is why casuals are cancer.

23. kunuri
    kunuri
    November 30, 2017 at 6:52 pm

“We kinda blew the $33 million and are having to start over from scratch so uh, can I interest you in virtual land?”

24. GetRidOfCaptcha
    GetRidOfCaptcha
    November 30, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Star Shitizen is such a great game. Hopefully they let people hire non-existent security to guard the non-existent land that people park their non-existent ships on.

25. BeakieHelmet
    BeakieHelmet
    November 30, 2017 at 11:19 pm

Man at this point you gotta define “Done”

December 1, 2017 at 12:56 am

I think naming a star is $80 and even if the star no longer exists you’ll still see the light for millions of years…

27. SevTheBear
    SevTheBear
    December 1, 2017 at 5:17 am

I guess *playable* is the word I should be using :P

28. Justin Williams
    Justin Williams
    December 1, 2017 at 9:18 am

Add this to the list of shit I don’t understand.

29. Justin Williams
    Justin Williams
    December 1, 2017 at 9:20 am

Does it come with a troll? LOVE trolls.

30. Justin Williams
    Justin Williams
    December 1, 2017 at 9:23 am

They should just give me the money and I can make up *even more* appealing lies and still not produce a game.

December 1, 2017 at 9:24 am

Once you buy it, a troll of your choosing will inhabit it.

32. Justin Williams
    Justin Williams
    December 1, 2017 at 9:24 am

Yes, this is absolutely a “moneys all gone” warning sign.

33. Justin Williams
    Justin Williams
    December 1, 2017 at 9:51 am

I have one in mind from the NG boards. He said he will only live under my bridge *if* I can guarantee there will be no PS VITA present. Sadly, I still play my VITA so I cannot meet his condition.

34. BeakieHelmet
    BeakieHelmet
    December 1, 2017 at 11:02 am

Oh, you can play the game right now. There are missions with win and lose conditions. You can get in and out of your ship. You can fly down and land on planets. You can shoot and kill other players. The core gameplay of Star Citizen is just about done. It is a good ship to ship combat game from a gameplay perspective and not a bad FPS either, with attention to detail you don’t see elsewhere.

The thing is with that core gameplay done they must now fill the game with content. Which they have been doing slowly but surely as they recode Cryengine into something incredible.

Like I said, to me, the primary issue is the back end server limiting everyone to 22 FPS regardless of GPU and the length of time it will take to be content complete, not just feature complete. Gameplay wise, we are missing some mining and exploration bits and that is about it, the bulk of gameplay is done.

The game is in a legitimate alpha stage at this point.

35. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    December 1, 2017 at 4:58 pm

This makes lootboxes look more sensible than this.

36. KentDA
    KentDA
    December 2, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Why do you think EA continues to persist with how great loot boxes are? It’s because for every smart gamer, there are probably twenty with heads full of what goes in the cat litter box.