New Fire Emblem in Development for Nintendo Switch

In today’s Fire Emblem Direct, Nintendo and Intelligent Systems announced that a new Fire Emblem game is in development for Nintendo Switch. This will be the first Fire Emblem on a home console since 2007’s Radiant Dawn. No footage, screenshots, or details about the story were shared. The game is currently targeting a 2018 release.

Matthew Sigler

Currently interning at Niche Gamer. I've been playing video games since I was three years old.

1. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    January 18, 2017 at 5:56 pm

No surprise there, Fire Emblem is Nintendo’s latest cash cow. It’s cool to see the series back on a console though (well, the Switch is technically a console), no interest in playing it until I understand moonrunes however.

2. NathanEH
    NathanEH
    January 18, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Welp, this is the part where we thank our lucky stars that the Nintendo Switch is region free.

Don’t want to put up with the Treehouse inserting “pungent pickles” and internet memes? Don’t have too.

Don’t want to put up with the Treehouse censoring of the game’s art and character designs? Don’t have too.

Don’t want to put up with the Treehouse butchering the narrative and inserting Tumblr-tier dialogue? Don’t have too.

Don’t want to put up with the Treehouse’s outright removal costumes and entire gameplay mechanics? Don’t have too.

Don’t want to put up with the Treehouse gutting every complex theme and replacing them with a series of ellipses? Don’t have too.

Nintendo, Reggie said that you’re listening. Know that after Fates, region free is the only reason I would ever entertain the thought of purchasing another Fire Emblem game, and this exact conversation is why I will not be purchasing Fire Emblem Echoes.

If you want my money, bring out Fire Emblem Echoes on Switch while you’re at it. Have a good one.

3. Michael Richardson
    Michael Richardson
    January 18, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Nintendo Switch already has better planned first party support for its first two years than Wii U did in its entire life cycle.

4. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    January 18, 2017 at 6:55 pm

If they go through the “lolcalization” route, then this is another game I will have to either pass or wait for fans to fix.

5. Bitterbear
    Bitterbear
    January 18, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Surprise! Because Nintendo is now pushing for simultaneous global releases, the game is going to be auto-censored for those who don’t own a Switch bought in Japan with a Japanese Nintendo account.

6. Pico
    Pico
    January 18, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Just buy the asian version, it usually comes with english subtitles, and create another acount

7. arly
    arly
    January 18, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Just hope localization is better. I was fine with the change of the petting mini-game, but the other changes in Fates were so annoying. E.g. Effie’s personality was completely different for no good reason. Hopefully the JPN version has EN text option or EN version has JPN voice option. But never know with Nintendo.

8. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    January 18, 2017 at 8:32 pm

If it gets an Englush release, I can’t wait to see how badly Treehouse censors the content and butchers the script.

……

Pickles.

9. Darkling
    Darkling
    January 18, 2017 at 9:24 pm

good thing the switch does not have a region block

10. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    January 18, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Hahahahaha, I’m sorry but if it’s Treehouse or 8-4 then that shit is gonna get butchered.

11. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    January 18, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Don’t kid yourself. You’re not going to buy the game no matter what. :)

12. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    January 18, 2017 at 10:21 pm

If it has a language select option, I’ll be all set.

13. Lezard Valeth
    Lezard Valeth
    January 18, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Hope you have all learned Japanese by now . it’s cool the switch is not region locked, but with Nintendo lolcalization they will definetly butcher this game you can count on it.
    Nintendo of America know that FE western fans are used and love meme and cancer script change. ( seeing how well FE Fate sold )

14. tccboss
    tccboss
    January 18, 2017 at 11:38 pm

This may naive wishing on my part but I hope they got that we want a good translation for these Fire Emblem games if not well there’s always the moon runes version.

15. porkbun
    porkbun
    January 19, 2017 at 12:10 am

But you would be playing the game in Japanese though.

16. Albert Joestar
    Albert Joestar
    January 19, 2017 at 9:03 pm

this is what I plan to do, after the console is out for a years or so, just import the Japanese console, I’ll not be spending a single cent in NoA, not even used.