Fire Emblem Direct Will be Showing Multiple Titles

Nintendo just sent out to press that their Fire Emblem Nintendo Direct which was only known to be set for Wednesday, January 18th, now has a time slot of 2 p.m. PT. But even more interesting is they made specific comment as to “titles”. This could mean we will be seeing more then just Fire Emblem Warriors, leaving a possibly for  a showing of Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation on the Nintendo Switch being shown off in this event.

Not much else was stated in the one sentence, but now you kinda get an idea of what its like to be us.

The Nintendo Switch will be launching March 3rd world wide, and will be having an initial shipping launch of 2 million units, so you will most likely be able to get your hands on one.

UPDATE:

Seems the Japanese Nintendo site has posted that there will be an addition to the series via smartphone platforms being announced.

Michael Jordan

Media, Marketing, Reviews, Interviews, and more. I do terrible things so you don't have to. Doing LIVE coverage of E3 to Tokyo Game Show for the last 10 years.

1. tccboss
    tccboss
    January 17, 2017 at 9:42 am

They better un-fuck fates or I won’t buy it in English.

2. RepeatingDigits
    RepeatingDigits
    January 17, 2017 at 9:48 am

Not buying Fates if it isn’t uncucked.

3. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    January 17, 2017 at 10:29 am

Un-fucked Fates, Warriors having characters from not-Awakening/Fates and a new FE game that doesn’t have the children mechanic in it because dammit, I’m fighting to save the kingdom, not playing Baby-Making Simulator 2017 as well as having the stylish as fuck animations like the GBA games did. That’s what I want.

4. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 17, 2017 at 10:35 am

Children aren’t the issue, but contriving a terrible reason for them to appear in the game especially while their parents don’t age and barely fleshing out them is.

If we have to cut out something which the 3DS instalments are known for, I’d start with Create a Character. I think there are too many issues with either making the created character important or unimportant, the former leads to limiting the writing and motivations severely and the latter makes you wonder why they even gave you the option.

5. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 17, 2017 at 10:36 am

Word seems to be that we’ll hear about the mobile game tomorrow. I hope Warriors can make up for the likely disappointment we’ll be experiencing.

6. 3rdStrike_Ebi
    3rdStrike_Ebi
    January 17, 2017 at 10:50 am

A mobile title as seen on the Japanese website, and Fates possibly being on the Switch? Yeah, no. I doubt they’re going to fix Fates considering the colossal amount of rape that game suffered from, and no-one in their right mind is going to buy a fucking piece of shit mobile game for a franchise that, frankly, deserves better than what it got after Awakening’s success. But we’ll wait and see what they announce.

7. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 17, 2017 at 10:54 am

I might be a bit of a shill since Fire Emblem if has clothing damage and good mechanics/missions, but seriously it didn’t suffer THAT much after Awakening’s success outside of poor localisation attempts.

(I’m also speaking as an F-Zero guy, not that we should need to suffer that much to start the petitions)

8. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    January 17, 2017 at 11:50 am

It’s cute how people here GENUINELY THINK that Fates’ problems were due to localization.

Besides the terrible voice acting, it was fine. The core of the game’s problems came from the original release. Treehouse didn’t come up with the retarded children mechanic, for example.

Codename S.T.E.A.M was the better game, by far.

9. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 17, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Mechanically speaking, you are correct but Treehouse did the game no favours through the voice work, writing (which ranges from memes to typos to “…”), removing My Room interaction, removing pairings and so on.

I’ve even heard that they haven’t localised the latest DLC yet, assuming they don’t do it, it is the second Fire Emblem of sorts to be cheated in such a way.

With all of this combined, it makes it much harder for people to talk about how the game actually plays.

While I don’t like Codename S.T.E.A.M. as much as Fire Emblem If, people could only focus on the mechanics (the only key difference I’m sure of are Japanese voices for the Fire Emblem cast).

10. Maelstrom
    Maelstrom
    January 17, 2017 at 1:08 pm

It’s been done pretty badly in Awakening and Fates, but it was done pretty decently in 12. Idk why I think that, but it might have had something to do with not making you some mysterious fighter or the most annoying naive jerk.

11. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 17, 2017 at 1:18 pm

The second Marth remake had a MU too? I’d definitely like to hear more about that but as for something I’ve played. The game which introduced Lyn had us create Mark who didn’t fight or have a sprite IIRC. I haven’t played the game recently to be sure but I might like that approach even if it is barely above putting a name on a save file.

At least, I don’t remember any notable implications for the story.

12. Maelstrom
    Maelstrom
    January 17, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Yep, along with a casual mode and 5 different difficulty settings. Quite a nice game, and it had few of my complaints from Shadow Dragon. I recommend trying it, if you haven’t guessed

13. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 17, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Interesting, I was aware that it started the Casual mode which Awakening gets all the blame for (no surprise since FE12 is Japan only) but not having a defined MU too.

Did the SNES Marth game have that feature?

I’ll get to playing the DS Fire Emblems after I play all of the console ones, good to know more about the game though.

14. Maelstrom
    Maelstrom
    January 17, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Don’t waste your time on the crap that is shadow dragon. FE12, however, is not that.
    And no, Mystery of the Emblem did not have any of those features I mentioned.

15. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    January 17, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Exactly my thoughts. Of course, that pretty much means I wont be buying it.

16. Firion Hope
    Firion Hope
    January 17, 2017 at 4:37 pm

The only major change Awakening introduced was lack of Grinding (which wasn’t in one of Fates paths anyway so it’s not like the series is stuck with it). Romance/Babbies were 4, Casual mode and create a character was 12

17. Firion Hope
    Firion Hope
    January 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Fire Emblem 4 introduced the child mechanic.

18. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    January 17, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Have you played Fates?

There’s nothing wrong with child units in general. But Fates take on it is fucked up.

19. CRES
    CRES
    January 17, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Personally, I kind of like the “My Unit/Your Avatar” system, but I think they need to do something more like Persona where you get to choose dialogue options in order to flesh out your character in a way YOU want him/her to be. And also the flexibility to create the unit you most want to be.

20. 3rdStrike_Ebi
    3rdStrike_Ebi
    January 17, 2017 at 11:33 pm

I won’t dispute that. I was specifically referring to the localization anyway. Isn’t it funny, also, that they stopped giving reports as to how many copies Fates sold after the first week? I reckon the drop-off was massive after that.

(I have yet to experience F-Zero. Really wish I did.)

21. Personaknight
    Personaknight
    January 17, 2017 at 11:50 pm

You think more people would be into dating sims or visual novels if tacking life/relationship simulator into games while watering down the core gameplay mechanics.

22. Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    January 18, 2017 at 2:37 am

Heavy, pointless censorship, really bad translation, removing big part of the dialogues where they even replace text with dots…yeah, it’s not because of the localization. :^)

23. Firion Hope
    Firion Hope
    January 18, 2017 at 3:13 am

I have. It doesn’t make story sense at all, but otherwise I don’t notice anything wrong with it

24. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 18, 2017 at 9:14 am

I do think that some of the blame that the 3DS games get for features is misplaced, but I think there are lot of problems with the execution of these returning features.

Grinding which I’m sure is in one of the GBA games is now compounded with EXP DLC and it seems to fit into the narrative less.

Babies coming from the future or whatever excuse if/Fates has is many times weaker than FE4 and lends itself to weaker writing thanks to…

Create a character which is definitely more intrusive when it is a key character who can’t even be fully displayed in a cutscene but is a core story element.

Romance extending between every male and female leads to them barely being able to justify them liking each other and getting married while prior games.

Casual mode? That shit’s harmless. Even Phoenix Mode is harmless.

You didn’t count how team mechanics were added in Awakening and unbalanced as hell (if/Fates mostly corrected this thankfully), how Awakening didn’t have Shove, the lack of weight in Awakening and such but whatever.

I consider those to be major.

25. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 18, 2017 at 9:22 am

Ah I see, I probably overreacted since you said “franchise” and assumed you meant the IP more than international treatment. I don’t know about the sales, it probably saw a considerable drop off but it isn’t like they expect FE to sell as consistently as Splatoon or Pokemon (which are two of the only IP which they consistently talk up sales on).

From an IP perspective, Fire Emblem if made all of the money from the Japanese release to the point that even selling a lot less well than Awakening outside of Japan will probably be good enough. Low sales or a dropoff doesn’t mean they will know about how the edits are shaping their reputation.

(It isn’t too late to get a Wii/GameCube, there was a recent discovery that F-Zero GX also has the whole game of F-Zero AX on it as well. Otherwise, look into emulators for F-Zero X or GX.)

26. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 18, 2017 at 9:26 am

I haven’t played a Persona, but I do think they could flesh out options more in that regard. Awakening had two or three choices with the first one feeling pretty good and the last one being a little pointless IIRC.

Or maybe they could focus on how we complete missions + who we save and have it lead to alternative routes or recruits?

Fire Emblem has always had a lot of choice through who you keep alive, train, pair up, how you use your resources and such with some cases where you could only recruit/keep certain characters if you have the cash or relationship up to a high enough level.

27. 3rdStrike_Ebi
    3rdStrike_Ebi
    January 18, 2017 at 10:39 am

Yeah, I did mean the franchise, but I was kind of alluding to the reputation it now has thanks to Fates.

(Oh, I still have my GameCube, we just never bought many games back then.)

28. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 18, 2017 at 11:23 am

Rather continue talking about the GameCube and F-Zero in brackets, but do you mind clarifying you think the franchise suffered after Awakening? I do agree that even the original Fire Emblem if (as much as I prefer it to Awakening a thousand times) has issues before we consider localisation.

I use the term “Fates” almost exclusively to talk about the localised version and I’m aware that most people don’t do that so you might be talking about universal issues.

(I see, the GameCube was the first console I imported on since it was pretty easy with the Freeloader. On the off chance, Nintendo don’t bring back F-Zero and that you don’t use Dolphin, you can import F-Zero GX from anywhere in the world and it is cheap everywhere.)

29. Jacob
    Jacob
    January 18, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Shadow Dragon is by far the best version of that game though. That should tell you how well FE1 and 3 Book 1 have aged- about as well as piss soaked cheese to be frank.

If you’re going to touch Marth’s first outing, for the love of your sanity please play the FE11 version.

And this is coming from the biggest Archanea fanboy and someone who’s cleared with 100% recruitment all of the Archanea games except for BSFE original version.

30. Firion Hope
    Firion Hope
    January 18, 2017 at 4:32 pm

I can’t say I really care about grinding fitting into a narrative, nor do I imagine most people do (though I did forget awakening didn’t even introduce that). The story reason for babys is poor in fates, but fates story is poor in general, hardly a first for the series either. I liked 12s created character the best because he was more just like another character than one of the main ones, but Robin at least has more personality than Marth (aka 4 of the games) and from everything I’ve heard probably roy too.

As for romance you have a point, but the supports by and large aren’t any worse than the ones in previous games imo (or there’s at least as many good ones anyway). And as for mechanics, those change in every game. POR/RD had mounted units being able to move after they attacked, that was huge, RD had second promotions, etc etc.

31. 3rdStrike_Ebi
    3rdStrike_Ebi
    January 19, 2017 at 2:45 am

Well, the Western release of Fire Emblem Fates, in addition to splitting the IP into three separate games, ended up hurting sales to a good degree. I base this on sales numbers from when the game was released and how they went silent after the first week (even Awakening had more news surrounding sales after its release). And I also remember people disapproving of the three games model for what was traditionally a single title series (compounded by at least some criticism of the story, that probably hurt the game more). This is referring to the Western version of the game, since I haven’t actually heard of the success rate in Japan.

There’s also the mobile gaming angle that I don’t approve of, but considering the success of that platform amongst casuals… yeah.

(Duly noted. I should just go and find the Dolphin emulator – the problem is I’m lazy.)