Sega is Considering PS4 Remakes Of Yakuza 2, 3 ,4, and 5

yakuza 5 10-24-15-20

During a recent livestream (via Dualshockers) with Yakuza producer Toshiro Nagoshi, he teased that Sega have been thinking about doing remakes for Yakuza 2 through Yakuza 5.

This was prompted after Yakuza: Kiwami, the remake of the very first game in the series, was reported to have sold over 500,000 copies in both Japan and Asia.

It wasn’t specified whether or not these would be remakes in the style of Yakuza: Kiwami or simply updating all the models and textures with ones from the most recent games, in an HD-remaster style.

As of now, Yakuza 6 is currently planned at being the very last Yakuza game with Kazuma Kiryu as the protagonist. It is slated to release on December 8th, 2016 in Japan for the PS4.

Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie

Writer at Niche Gamer. Passionate for video game journalism, and more than glad to be a part of it. I also write DOTA 2 stuff.

1. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    August 3, 2016 at 9:26 am

I would welcome this.Now let’s hope that Yakuza 6 comes to the West and it doesn’t take an eternity to come over.

2. CrimsonColossus
    CrimsonColossus
    August 3, 2016 at 9:38 am

That’s great and all, but when in fuck are we getting the HD collection on PS4?

August 3, 2016 at 9:39 am

I’m OK with that, as long as SEGA starts bringing them to the West in a more timely fashion.

4. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    August 3, 2016 at 9:42 am

Sega has been flip flopping on the series in it gets on my nerves.They should make up their mind if they want it established here or not.

5. Mid 90's Shinigami
    Mid 90's Shinigami
    August 3, 2016 at 9:43 am

Can we just get Isshin already?

6. Jigsy
    Jigsy
    August 3, 2016 at 9:55 am

What’s the gameplay of the Yakuza games like? Is it like GTA where you interact with everything, or is it like The Bouncer where you only control specific bits?

7. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    August 3, 2016 at 9:56 am

Damnit Sega, where are those PC ports you’ve been promising? These would be prime candidates.

8. Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie
    Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie
    August 3, 2016 at 10:01 am

Haven’t played The Bouncer so I wouldn’t know, but it is definitely not like GTA in the slightest.

They’re essentially beat-em ups set in a fictitious red light district called Kamurocho.

The district itself is quite open ended in that you can enter and explore the various shops and services that the district has to offer. The amount of detail they give to the district is really commendable.

If you’re interested in getting into the games, I’d recommend emulating the first two games since buying them legit is insanely costly, and then proceed to buy the PS3 games.

Yakuza 5 is on PS+ right now, so I’d recommend picking that up just to have it available if you decide to take the time to play through them all.

9. Jigsy
    Jigsy
    August 3, 2016 at 10:03 am

The Bouncer was esentially a semi-interactive movie. The only time you ever really controlled the characters was during fights.

10. Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie
    Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie
    August 3, 2016 at 10:05 am

Oh in that case it isn’t. Yakuza is way more interactive than that.

11. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    August 3, 2016 at 10:11 am

There’s no need to completely remake every game, so ports would be fine. It would be great to see all Yakuza games (even the original PS2 version of 1 as well as Kiwami) on PS4 and PC. Speaking of which, where are those ports, Sega?

12. Master Bating
    Master Bating
    August 3, 2016 at 10:16 am

Oh god, please let it be real….

13. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    August 3, 2016 at 10:24 am

Sega usually does some form of a PC port of a game like Valkyria Chronicles during the Fall time so maybe they’ll announce something Yakuza related then, but I’m not holding my breath. Rather would get surprised about a port than get disappointed with set expectations.

14. NukeA6
    NukeA6
    August 3, 2016 at 10:27 am

These are HD remasters I can accept. Not sure about remakes though.

15. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    August 3, 2016 at 10:32 am

I can see a Kiwami-style game for 2 happening but if 3-5 get put on PS4 I can’t imagine it would be anything more than upscaled ports.

16. Schrodinger's Clit
    Schrodinger's Clit
    August 3, 2016 at 10:37 am

Not a fan of remasters, but I can’t complain since I haven’t touched the Yakuza series yet. The PS2 games are stupidly expensive as well, so I’m in.

17. Smug
    Smug
    August 3, 2016 at 10:44 am

Remakes in the sense of Kiwami was a remake of the first game

My big issue with Kiwami is that it made boss fights ridiculously easy (even Amon) in comparison of the original/HD version

18. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    August 3, 2016 at 10:47 am

If they bring them stateside, I’ll very much consider picking them up.

19. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    August 3, 2016 at 10:49 am

I’ve never played the Yakuza games, either. Is 5 a good entry point to the series?

20. porkbun
    porkbun
    August 3, 2016 at 11:12 am

There’s no need to remake 345. Those are perfectly fine just upgrade them to 1080p and put it on PS4. 2 on the other hand needs a remake like kiwami

21. InzMovi
    InzMovi
    August 3, 2016 at 11:17 am

They can bring in 2, but for 3-4-5? I don’t think it’s necessary..

22. Leandro Teixeira
    Leandro Teixeira
    August 3, 2016 at 11:39 am

Sounds good, but tbh I would really like Ishin first, I would’ve taken Ishin instead of that crap game they call Yakuza:Dead Souls

23. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    August 3, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Is there a hard mode to make up for it?

I assume Yakuza 1 + 2 HD has the exact same difficulty as the original PS2 release, but that’s a bit obscure.

24. Professor_Icepick
    Professor_Icepick
    August 3, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Well, so much for those rumored PC ports.

25. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    August 3, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Just kinda irks me that they started off very strong with Valkyria Chronicles and 2 years later all we’ve gotten is Sonic Lost Worlds. Hopefully we get something decent this year, but as you said I won’t be holding my breath.

26. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    August 3, 2016 at 1:14 pm

I wouldn’t mind this as long as these and Kiwami/Gotoku 6 are released stateside in a physical format with no cut content this time either since I didn’t play the first two games. Also, a Kenzan and Isshin release would be great too.

27. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    August 3, 2016 at 1:29 pm

There are higher difficulties, yes, but even then, bosses can be kinda easy if the player is skilled enough with Kiryu’s moves and styles.

28. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    August 3, 2016 at 1:32 pm

One of the cool things about the Yakuza series is that you can technically start from any numbered title, because the beginning of the game usually gives you the option to watch recaps of the stories of the previous main entries.

29. Elkhazel
    Elkhazel
    August 3, 2016 at 1:58 pm

oh wow, yes please

30. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    August 3, 2016 at 1:59 pm

In that case, I’ll see what I can do about playing 1-4. Probably emulate 1 and 2, assuming they emulate well.

31. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    August 3, 2016 at 2:12 pm

That’s what I did. The first 2 games run pretty decently on PCSX2, though I get a weird glitch where there’s too much bloom everywhere, but it gets the job done. 3 and 4 shouldn’t be too hard to get a hold of.

32. Nagato
    Nagato
    August 3, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Well, Yakuza 0 was listed specifically as a “console exclusive” last year, so hopefully unlike those two it’ll have been planned to come to PC in the West in the first place.

33. John Smith.
    John Smith.
    August 3, 2016 at 2:36 pm

SEGA’s nothing but a cock-tease. They always entice you with their best games, but when it is time to actually live up to their promises, they always find some excuse to leave you with a bad case of blue balls.

34. Sevuz
    Sevuz
    August 3, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Still waiting for Vanquish. But I getting all the old Yakuza games porte over to the PS4 and PC would be great as well

35. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    August 3, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Ah, I forgot how styles (an idea from Ishin and Yakuza 0) might throw off the balance of other games if they don’t give those enemies new tricks or styles of their own.

I’ll probably look into Yakuza 1 + 2 HD and just enjoy Yakuza 1’s remake and the sequels as much as I can afterwards.

36. Bob Smith
    Bob Smith
    August 3, 2016 at 4:04 pm

For the love of gods, you idiots, stop making awful Sonic trash and put Yakuza and Miku on Steam already. Why are you so scared of free money?

37. Guin
    Guin
    August 3, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Because they’re lazy.

38. Guin
    Guin
    August 3, 2016 at 4:26 pm

I just don’t like how they keep cutting content because it’s 2NIP4US.

39. Guin
    Guin
    August 3, 2016 at 4:26 pm

No cut/censored content and I will buy the whole package, Sega. I’m not asking for much.

40. Caim
    Caim
    August 3, 2016 at 4:35 pm

If they stop removing content for U.S release then great

41. Caim
    Caim
    August 3, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Money!? What is this about money? Don’t talk about money, money!? Hell that would be productive, and we sure don’t want that do we?

42. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    August 3, 2016 at 4:43 pm

If they lied and they have nothing this year, I’ll be mad.

43. Kakaku
    Kakaku
    August 3, 2016 at 6:33 pm

The translation of Yakuza 5 keeped everything in minus a few copyrighted songs. I’d say we have a good chance of quality English releases.

44. Etherblaze
    Etherblaze
    August 3, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Just give me Kiwami and give me the remaster of 2. I don’t care much about the others. Not interested in 3 and I played 4 and 5 to death.

45. Guin
    Guin
    August 3, 2016 at 7:51 pm

It was 2NIP4US.

46. Etherblaze
    Etherblaze
    August 3, 2016 at 7:51 pm

This video got me hardcore into the Yakuza series. Before I was a bit iffy about it. Only played 4. But after this video, I played every single one except 3 and those yet to be localized.

47. GameZard
    GameZard
    August 3, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Remake them all of them and also bring them to pc.

48. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    August 3, 2016 at 10:07 pm

PC ports, please.

49. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    August 4, 2016 at 12:10 am

I don’t like it either but from my knowledge on Yakuza 3 was censored.

50. Smug
    Smug
    August 4, 2016 at 12:26 am

They gave all bosses the possibility to heal themselves in Kiwami, but the big problem is that they’re completely paralyzed during that time and you can counter with a heat action (with more damage if the fightning style you’re using matches the color of the healing aura of the boss)

51. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    August 4, 2016 at 9:39 am

Vanquish at 60 FPS… sounds exciting!

52. Matthew Fell
    Matthew Fell
    December 16, 2016 at 12:56 am

I read that because they got issues with code ownership or some sort? Beween Japan and U.S.