Physical Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack Heads to North America, OVA Announced

Yacht Club Games is teaming up with Inti Creates to release the Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack to retail in North America.

The compilation will include both the original Azure Striker Gunvolt and its sequel, Azure Striker Gunvolt 2. Fans can expect it to release on September 30th at retail, for the Nintendo 3DS.

A European release wasn’t confirmed at this time, however the compilation was rated in Australia as well.

Finally, an original video animation for Azure Striker Gunvolt was announced by LandQ Studio, and it’s set to release sometime this winter, via an on-demand release. Here’s a trailer for the game’s new OVA:

, , ,

1. James
    James
    July 5, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Original 3DS Gunvolt? No thanks. That was among the worst “localizations” done in recent times. Removing large chunks of the game, dumbing down and altering the script significantly, removing romantic plot-lines, just no. PC version fixes all that. Still heavily skeptical with the sequel considering how bad they treated the first game. Maybe if/when it’s on PC afterwards.

2. Lucky
    Lucky
    July 5, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Better than Mighty No. 9 at least. Heh, heh, eh…

Every video game OVA is shit. This is a fact.

3. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    July 5, 2016 at 3:02 pm

I love xe meme translations.

4. Ashten Strider
    Ashten Strider
    July 5, 2016 at 3:02 pm

I’ve heard that the removed parts were added back into the striker pack. Though that may be wrong.

I’d like to ask though, if you don’t mind, i knew parts of the story were removed but i never knew of any romantic subplots. Could you elaborate on that?

5. Didney Worl
    Didney Worl
    July 5, 2016 at 3:02 pm

From what I heard, this retail version restores all the cut content and includes voice acting.

6. Extrange
    Extrange
    July 5, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Er… nope, the PC version didn’t fix it. Boss banter is still removed, there’s no key config and it has an atrocious 2 screen mode.

7. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    July 5, 2016 at 3:08 pm

I thought Day of Sigma and the Sonic OVA were alright.

8. Extrange
    Extrange
    July 5, 2016 at 3:08 pm

You’re just full of HorseJitt.

9. RPG
    RPG
    July 5, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Hmm, I have been curious about trying Gunvolt for quite a while, since I am always interested in Mega man style games. However, the negative outcry from people from all of the content that was cut from the game turned me off, and I wanted to wait until it was patched back in like they said they would before even thinking of touching it (played the demo, but that is it).
    If this pack does indeed contain all of the things that were promised to be restored (the trailer includes Japanese voice acting, which gives hope), then I may check it out sometime. If not, then it can go fuck off with the original localised version. The shoehorned unnecessary pronouns is already bad enough, without the plethora of content removed from the original game.

10. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    July 5, 2016 at 3:25 pm

oh fugg :ᗡ

11. Ashten Strider
    Ashten Strider
    July 5, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Unnecessary pronouns? I’m not sure what you’re talking about. I too skipped over Gunvolt because of the removed content, but I’m not 100% sure on exactly what was removed. But i do know they were pretty ridiculous about it… i remember when they were originally going to remove Gunvolt’s long hair as part of localization. That alone turned me off from wanting to get it.

July 5, 2016 at 3:29 pm

The collector’s edition will come with a list of preferred pronouns for all the characters.

13. tetrisdork
    tetrisdork
    July 5, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Yacht Club, after being able to publish a physical version of Shovel Knight, gets to test their newfound powers.

14. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    July 5, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I don’t know about the pronouns since I skipped the English version (it didn’t help that Japan got it long before Europe), but they removed all of the voice acting from the 3DS version as well as all of the subtitles (which were Japanese). Instead of localising them, they insisted that removing a feature which could be switched off at a button press in Japan was a feature: https://twitter.com/GunvoltGame/status/501909113513590784

In their defense, they did return the original design for the Gunvolt, redo the translation (no idea about the pronouns) and restore the mid mission dialogue + subtitles (no boss banter though) with the Steam port.

The 3DS has been waiting for ages for the update to fix them up though.

The Japanese 3DS version is the definitive one and even had other dialogues without voice work cropped for the western 3DS versions.

July 5, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Did you have a stroke? Do you need help?

16. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    July 5, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Wow, even the anime will come out before MN9s animation.

17. Lucky
    Lucky
    July 5, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Tales of ____ OVA being any quality?

Stick to modding. ;P
    (Preface: I’m joking)

18. Lucky
    Lucky
    July 5, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Damn, that seriously looks like any 90s anime I bought in the bargin bin. Same dub quality too.

19. Lucky
    Lucky
    July 5, 2016 at 4:26 pm

I swear every person I knew saw this at least once on Sci-Fi or had a pirated DVD. Doesn’t make it less shlocky, but damn was it enjoyable.

I’m definitely joking, however. My avatar is from dot hack ffs.

20. Lucky
    Lucky
    July 5, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Does on (UMD) disc OVAs count? That gets a pass (again, still joking tho). I wish more games did that, to be honest. It’s a pretty fun incentive.

I heard that Sonic OVA was p bad, but I never saw it.

21. Lucky
    Lucky
    July 5, 2016 at 4:29 pm

VN =/= Video Game. So, no. :D

22. RPG
    RPG
    July 5, 2016 at 4:43 pm

In regards to the pronouns I mentioned, the english localization contained the SJW/tumblr speak (Xe, Xir, Xim, etc) to I don’t know, try and be “progressive” or some shit. Some other comments have made references/jabs at it as well. It reminded me of when I got Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and the character descriptions randomly had them in there. I was frankly confused and annoyed.

23. Ashten Strider
    Ashten Strider
    July 5, 2016 at 4:49 pm

That isn’t “sjw/tumblr speak” those are legitimate pronouns that some people use, but i do think that using pronouns that aren’t well known is a bad idea. They could’ve easily used they/them instead which would be a lot less confusing, so i can understand your frustration.

24. Ashten Strider
    Ashten Strider
    July 5, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Jeez, that’s a lot. I’m hoping this version adds all that back in. I really don’t like PC gaming and would much rather play it on my 3DS. It does seem that they put the original design back in for this verison. I never even understood why they changed it in the first place. “Oh man, he can’t have a midriff! Nobody outside of Japan could comprehend that!” But at least they fixed the PC version.

25. Ashten Strider
    Ashten Strider
    July 5, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Is this supposed to be a joke? If it is, it’s not very funny.

26. Cael
    Cael
    July 5, 2016 at 4:57 pm

That’s not an OVA though.

27. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    July 5, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Yeah, it even runs deeper with the original 3DS being planned to have a dub which didn’t complete all of the dialogue before it was canned. I imagine not everyone knows but they sold pretty well based on that especially eh localised 3DS ver.

Even when cute anime girls aren’t that much of a focal point, they screw things up.

28. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    July 5, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Key configuration wasn’t there from the start? I’m not sure if I patched but I can remap inputs on the Japanese 3DS, so it stands out as initially removing/omitting an expected feature that even the 3DS did.

29. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    July 5, 2016 at 5:13 pm

I don’t think that’s ever happening now.

30. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    July 5, 2016 at 5:16 pm

What.

31. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    July 5, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Yes the PC version fixed this.
    You have to select “English (Japanese Voice Mode)” under Language at the start up config.
    You get all boss and mid stage banter back this way along with a better translation.
    If you select the normal English option however you get the shitty 3DS version without voices and banter.
    The key config also works but only with a 360 pad.

32. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    July 5, 2016 at 5:31 pm

“Some people” being SJW’s/Tumblrtards

33. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    July 5, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Did you get lost on your way to NeoGAF?

July 5, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Well at least Inafune will have his name attached to that project as well.

35. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    July 5, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Boss banter is back in the PC port.

36. Smug
    Smug
    July 5, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Cutting their penis isnt going to make them a woman

37. Didney Worl
    Didney Worl
    July 5, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Goddamn, that screenshot is awkward to read.

38. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    July 5, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Ah i remember playing the Super Famicom game of this from a long time ago. Good times ^_^

39. Didney Worl
    Didney Worl
    July 5, 2016 at 6:16 pm

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

40. RPG
    RPG
    July 5, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Tell me about it. When I was playing the game, I felt like my brain kept partially shutting down every time those words popped up.

41. Lucky
    Lucky
    July 5, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Didn’t mean it that way.

42. Didney Worl
    Didney Worl
    July 5, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, besides, the inclusion of tumblr pronouns doesn’t even make sense in the context of the FF universe. Moogles already had their own unique pronoun, “Mog”.

43. Didney Worl
    Didney Worl
    July 5, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Ah ok. That’s the trouble with communicating through text.

44. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    July 5, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Ah, I see. You even attempted to correct Extrange who I was largely borrowing from with that point (I’m clearly only educated on the 3DS versions), I’ll edit it out of my post and just ask a few other things.

Is there a dedicated input to switch off the “English (Japanese Voice Mode)” while in gameplay. The Japanese 3DS version had it. Similarly, it had the option to go into the menus when paused to do it.

Shame about how you can’t have decent English without having to listen to the voice over and get subtitles based on what you are saying. I seem like I’m asking for a lot, but Japan got this (minus English) on Day 1.

45. RPG
    RPG
    July 5, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Exactly! Moogles have already been established as being their own sort of particular non-conventional, gender ambiguous creatures who as you said, refer to themselves as “Mogs.” So the inclusion of these pronouns was inherently redundant.

46. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    July 5, 2016 at 7:11 pm

I think so? I admit I haven’t played it much since ive reading through some VN’s I scored during the Steam sale instead. (Ame no Marginal was pretty good lol)

I made an quick screen shot of the in games options.

47. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    July 5, 2016 at 7:17 pm

In stage

48. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    July 5, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Thanks for the effort and reminding me of something I should have gotten during the Steam sale… In my wishlist for next time.

That menu looks identical to the Japanese 3DS one though I should expect that since the PC version does still try to pull the dual screen look (wonder if 999 will be that crazy).

Our “Japanese Voice Mode (Sound)” is called “Live Novel Voice” while “Text Boxes On/Off” is “Message On/Off”. Assuming it works the same, you will be able to switch text boxes on or off with a press of a single key while playing and also use the menu to choose whether you think they deserve a voice.

It seems the PC port is alright, even if dialogue changes based on “Japanese Voice Mode (Sound)” and it hides the gameplay on the top screen when you change settings. This isn’t RE4 and backwards… >_>

49. STARSBarry
    STARSBarry
    July 5, 2016 at 7:38 pm

just because some people use them do not actually make them actual words, they are SJW/tumbler speak I would be unable to play these in scrabble because there not in the dictionary for a good reason, to be able to use them they would have to increase the number of sexes that the human race has by several factors, which out side of genetic engineering is probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Anyone saying other wise is either incredibly ignorant or just being intellectually dishonest.

50. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    July 5, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Someone out there is working hard on a 3rd gender…

51. Ashten Strider
    Ashten Strider
    July 5, 2016 at 7:49 pm

The inclusion of the lesser known pronouns in a mainstream game with no explanation is pretty dumb. As much as i love having more queer characters, they do need to realize that a majority of people have never heard of these pronouns. That’s why i suggested using they/them instead, still gender ambiguous and makes more sense to the average person.

52. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    July 5, 2016 at 8:07 pm

oh boy.

53. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    July 5, 2016 at 8:07 pm

OH BOY.

54. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    July 5, 2016 at 9:55 pm

If it is canned, I hope the same happens to Megamans.

55. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    July 5, 2016 at 9:58 pm

You and me both. That reboot looks terrible. Like, Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures / Sonic Boom terrible.

56. Eugenio Gil de la Madrid
    Eugenio Gil de la Madrid
    July 5, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Question will the Gunvolt 1 included in the physical release be the complete steam version or the butchered one?

57. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    July 5, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Going by the trailer it looks like it might be the Steam version. Hope they update the digital 3DS version as well. Sucks they still kept the stupid name changes, though.

58. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    July 5, 2016 at 10:30 pm

That’s seriously a thing? For crying out loud… This fucking dumbass society, I swear. Even if you gotta be gender neutral, is it so fucking hard just to say ‘it’ and ‘itself’ if it isn’t a ‘he’ or ‘she’?

…Can we just purge tumblr and all other communities like it from the entire Universe?

59. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    July 5, 2016 at 11:02 pm

The Sonic OVA was pretty good too, imo. It’s the only time you’ll see Sonic give Eggman the Middle Finger, see Tails grope a teenage girl’s breasts, and have Eggman’s evil plan be to kill everyone on the planet just so he can knock up an underaged girl, and it’s all played for laughs. I miss those days. Too bad the dub was shit, though.

60. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    July 6, 2016 at 12:28 am

At least with Boom, it spawned a good bit of reaction images and made me reminisce over Mike Lou & Og.

61. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    July 6, 2016 at 12:41 am

Still a shit show, though. But yeah, the Mega Man redesign seems arguably worse.

62. Didney Worl
    Didney Worl
    July 6, 2016 at 2:45 am

Yeah, the Sonic OVA was great. I would’ve loved to have seen this universe get a full anime series instead of Sonic X.

Yeah, the dub is pretty bad, but then again, I love listening to laughably bad dubs.

63. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    July 6, 2016 at 4:34 am

Yeah, I wish it got a full series too. It was the best animated take on the franchise, imo. I have a soft spot for Sonic X too, even though it had low budget animation and crappy characters like Chris. X is the only Sonic series to have the Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic, for example. The Japanese version even went as far as using Live and Learn, the theme song for Adventure 2 in one episode.

Though, even though OVA dub was cheesy, at least it wasn’t severely butchered like what 4Kids did to X. I prefer to play all the Sanic games with the Japanese audio, when the audio track is available.

64. Didney Worl
    Didney Worl
    July 6, 2016 at 5:12 am

Sonic X was alright, but I wasn’t as big of a fan of it, ironically, because it felt too much like it was lifting from Sonic Adventure 2.

Animated Sonic, in my opinion, is at its best when it takes the familiar characters and does something new with it. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was a fun, trippy Looney Tunes cartoon. SatAM was a darker take on the series, with an overarching story, a subtle environmental message, and a new cast of memorable characters for Sonic, Tails, and Robotnik to interact with. And Sonic Boom has a more sitcom-esque approach with witty, self-aware writing.

Discotek is releasing the 4Kids edit of Sonic X on DVD, but they’re trying to get an uncut version released too. Kinda like what they did with Samurai Pizza Cats.

Though, to give credit where it’s due. I really like the 4Kids intro. GOTTA GO FAST!!

65. Eugenio Gil de la Madrid
    Eugenio Gil de la Madrid
    July 6, 2016 at 11:58 am

Yeah I hope so too

66. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    July 6, 2016 at 5:38 pm

I honestly couldn’t get into the older Sonic shows. They had virtually nothing taken from the games. X and the OVA are the most faithful adaptations to date, but I think we can all agree that Underground is the worst Sonic show period. I do think that X would’ve been a lot better if it focused more on Sonic and his anthro friends, and not generic humans like Chris, and if they brought in more locations and environments from the Sonic games. The Gotta Go Fast theme is catchy, but the Japanese theme has the guy who sang CHA LA HEAD CHA LA from Dragon Ball Z.

67. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    July 6, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Oh shit I forgot about that. Not really a fan of Archie Sonic, but I might actually pick that up.

68. Didney Worl
    Didney Worl
    July 6, 2016 at 10:27 pm

I just got back from my local comic book store. It was the last issue they had, so it’s selling out pretty fast. I just read it and I absolutely loved it. This is a stand alone story, so characters like Sally are not in this comic. It’s just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Eggman. The artwork is fantastic, with well-paced action scenes and it’s got really funny writing too. At first, I thought it was just gonna be a one-shot story, but it’s actually gonna get a second issue later in the fall. Highly, highly recommended.

69. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    July 6, 2016 at 10:29 pm

I’ll be sure to check it out.

70. Envy Noson
    Envy Noson
    July 7, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Aw shit, the real successor to Mega Man has arrived!