Dawn Of War III Announced, Poised as Relic’s Biggest RTS Ever

Sega and Relic Entertainment have announced Dawn of War III.

Alongside the four minute trailer, we’ve also learned some more information regarding the game (via PC Gamer)

Here is the information we know so far:

• The campaign will have you playing as three races: the Space Marines, the Eldar and the Orks.
  • Big armies make a return from the original Dawn of War
  • Bases also make a return from the original game
  • In the main campaign you can collect and level up up to three units. In multiplayer, you can pick up to three before the battle begins
  • Relic Entertainment are boasting that the super units are the biggest the series has ever seen, with the Imperial Knight being the biggest one the company has ever made.
  • Dawn of War 3 will implement a new cover system, this time more streamlined in order to make counter-play much more clear.

Dawn of War III is slated to release sometime in 2017 for PC.

Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie

Writer at Niche Gamer. Passionate for video game journalism, and more than glad to be a part of it. I also write DOTA 2 stuff.

1. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    May 3, 2016 at 10:53 am

Sounds cool, but I’ll probably still be playing the original with the Apocalypse mod.

2. Francesco Azzena
    Francesco Azzena
    May 3, 2016 at 11:04 am

WarHammer 40,000: Dawn of War III —> SEGA —> 40,000 DLC. Every component of the game is a DLC block.. —> New type of LEGO set, DLC building block!TM R C etc.

3. Elkhazel
    Elkhazel
    May 3, 2016 at 11:13 am

relic back, babby

4. Voiced
    Voiced
    May 3, 2016 at 11:13 am

I am just hoping that I can play as Tau.

5. Rumble Red
    Rumble Red
    May 3, 2016 at 11:15 am

Thank God. Bases, decent-sized armies and better cover were all on my wishlist. I’m not gonna celebrate until we see it in action, but at least Relic’s aiming the right way.

6. Smug
    Smug
    May 3, 2016 at 11:16 am

It’s not a Warhammer 40k game without some chaos HERESY

7. Master Bating
    Master Bating
    May 3, 2016 at 11:19 am

It finally happened, I waited for so long…

8. Zanard Bell
    Zanard Bell
    May 3, 2016 at 11:20 am

Okay, a very short wishlist:

– Persistent corpses
    – Wargear
    – Horus Heresy campaign (Highly unlikely, though)

Until then, considered me hyped. Until next winter, Fenris Hjolda.

9. pekikuubik
    pekikuubik
    May 3, 2016 at 11:20 am

Sounds good. Hopefully there’s some meat to the campaign and it isn’t just a meta-map full of generic skirmish battles.

10. Siveon
    Siveon
    May 3, 2016 at 11:20 am

Heresy grows with idleness, Relic. I can’t feel my back!

We also need some BANEBLADES. Cannon Fodd- I mean Imperial Guard when?

11. Siveon
    Siveon
    May 3, 2016 at 11:22 am

I agree, a good campaign with a quick game mode will have me sold.

Not much of a MP guy honest.

12. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    May 3, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Glad they have the Eldar at launch.

13. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    May 3, 2016 at 12:51 pm

I was hoping for something similar to Dark Crusade but they can’t do that with only 3 races.

14. KissDisqus
    KissDisqus
    May 3, 2016 at 12:52 pm

“campaign will have you playing as three races: the Space Marines, the Eldar and the Orks.”

Another DOW where you have to wait for the expansions…

15. Yabloko Molloco San
    Yabloko Molloco San
    May 3, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Bullshit, the Homeworld motherships are the biggest.

16. Kraken
    Kraken
    May 3, 2016 at 1:57 pm

my hype went down a bit when i read it would only have 3 races, but then i saw the IMPERIAL KNIGHT!

17. NuclearKangaroo
    NuclearKangaroo
    May 3, 2016 at 2:29 pm

that Imperial Knight be like

“Heard you were talkin’ shit like I wouldn’t find out”

18. catazxy
    catazxy
    May 3, 2016 at 3:22 pm

that is some grim shit coming from some talking breastplate, but right now Gothic Armada has my full attention….

19. Mea K
    Mea K
    May 3, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Exciting!

I think we all know in our hearts Chaos will also be in the core game, since the Space Marines will undoubtedly be cast as the protagonists, Orks alone can’t drive the type of epic plot required for a game such as this, and Eldar don’t make sense as a full-fledged villain.

Between the dreamy atmosphere and the literal mountain of corpses this trailer reeks of heresy and Khorne!

20. GrimFate
    GrimFate
    May 3, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Trailer had me somewhat excited until the enormous units appeared, and that’s the point I knew I needed this game.

21. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    May 3, 2016 at 8:29 pm

OH LOOK.

IT’S THE BLOOD RAVENS.

AGAIN.

22. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    May 3, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Eldar, Space Marines and Orkz… Why not Chaos also?

Why not all the races?

23. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    May 3, 2016 at 8:40 pm

They’ll probably add the other campaigns as DLC.

24. Isaac Sadler
    Isaac Sadler
    May 3, 2016 at 10:49 pm

The campaigns seems like it would be the same as the original DoW but you pick one of the three races then go through that story line instead of space marines as default.
    Still SoulStorm Campaign was better.

25. Isaac Sadler
    Isaac Sadler
    May 3, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Hopefully most of the races would be added into on launch and only campaign is limited to said three races.

26. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    May 4, 2016 at 2:35 am

I’m sure they will but it won’t be in the style of Dark Crusade.I minor complaint of course but Dark Crusade was so good I would love to see a return of that style.And maybe we will.Considering Dark Crusade was the third game in the DoW1 series I think there is still hope for this to happen.

27. Softclocks
    Softclocks
    May 4, 2016 at 5:32 am

3 factions.

The hype is dead.

28. Nocturnic
    Nocturnic
    May 4, 2016 at 1:46 pm

So, where’s Chaos? Need mah heresy.

29. Kev Lew
    Kev Lew
    May 4, 2016 at 6:46 pm

“collect and level up up to three units”, this part has me worried, pick and play rarely works well in RTS that thrives on letting the player have the options. otherwise, hyped.

30. DarkChaplain
    DarkChaplain
    May 5, 2016 at 9:22 am

Because making assets, implementing and balancing for

* Space Marines
    * Imperial Guard
    * Grey Knights
    * Adeptus Mechanicus
    * Chaos Space Marines
    * Chaos Daemons
    * Craftworld Eldar
    * Dark Eldar
    * Necrons
    * Orks
    * Tau
    * Tyranids
    * the various mini factions like Inquisition, Harlequin Troupes, Imperial Knights (which are folded in with Space Marines here), and the various sub-factions like Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Farsight Enclaves, Black Legion, Legion of the Damned, Genestealer Cults, Deathwatch and what not

Would be bloody overkill. It is cost prohibitive and simply insane. Even if you fold various things together in the game, you’d still be looking at almost a dozen major factions to create, code and maintain.

31. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    May 5, 2016 at 1:11 pm

You do know that no one was talking about making every faction inside a “race” be different, right?

Because at that point, you’d have to add a lot more Chapters too…

So instead, it’s Tau, Orks, Tyranids, Chaos, Speesh Marines, Eldar and Necrons.
    Fine, maybe I’m exaggerating, but only 3 races is stupid, they could have added 4 to be in tone with pretty much everything else they did. Chaos is just necessary in this.

As long as they add these races later with their own campaigns (at least, in groups, not EVERY RACE = AN EXPANSION, I hate milking tactics) I’m ok with this.

32. DarkChaplain
    DarkChaplain
    May 5, 2016 at 1:18 pm

All of the ones I mentioned are big enough factions to have their own Codex releases, model lines and a significant fan-following. While Space Wolves for example are Space Marines at the core, they have enough unique stuff to throw around to set them apart quite clearly (Thunderwolves say hi).

But I agree. Three factions on launch is silly. It is less than any Relic game to date brought to the table. Chaos will undoubtedly play a part in the campaign (not sure if they killed Eliphas for good, though. I expect not, considering Black Library recently made the character canon in the Horus Heresy).

I wouldn’t mind buying faction packs. The mix & match model for this stuff is a good one, in my opinion – as long as the prices are reasonable. I’d rather pay 10 bucks per faction and campaign for them than 30-40 for three factions at once. Best to let me pick which I care about (to be fair, all of them) and spread it out more than just releasing one expansion a year or so.

33. UnpluggedBeta
    UnpluggedBeta
    May 5, 2016 at 11:31 pm

This is one of the most pretentious trailers I have ever seen.

Why do they waste money on these abortions?

Compare with Dawn of War 1’s intro.