Rumor: PlayStation 4.5 is Codenamed “Neo,” Specs Revealed

the matrix 04-18-16-1

The ongoing rumor for Sony Interactive Entertainment’s upcoming PlayStation 4.5 revision has just gotten a bit more interesting.

In a report via Giantbomb, the actual specifications for the supposed hardware revision have been leaked. You can find the hardware specs below:

Original PS4 Specs:

• CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz
  • GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz
  • Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s

Codename “NEO” PS4 Specs:

• CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
  • GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
  • Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

No price was given for the new console, however previous sources claim it will retail at $399.

The new rumor has Giantbomb claiming the Sony documents they’ve seen attest to the company’s focus on parity between the platforms, meaning there will be no games exclusive to the new hardware.

The documents even state there can be no content locked to the new hardware. However, developers can release patches for their games released prior to the new hardware’s release, to fully utilize its improved specs.

A reminder – these are all unconfirmed rumors despite lots of websites reportedly getting various documents and materials to excitedly leak. Take it with a grain of salt until we have an official announcement, probably at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo.

1. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 18, 2016 at 10:00 pm

And I just got one this year, figures lol.

2. BioDevil_Dom
    BioDevil_Dom
    April 18, 2016 at 10:01 pm

So when’s the Playstation Matrix?

3. Anon_Amous
    Anon_Amous
    April 18, 2016 at 10:02 pm

PS4 didn’t seem like a good value proposition, looks like I made the right call! Still, I don’t even know what I’d get the 4.5 for if more of the third party stuff comes to PC and/or NX.

4. deadeye
    deadeye
    April 18, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Interesting. I’m not super knowledgeable when it comes to hardware, but bigger numbers generally mean it’s better.

Would be cool if someone that knew their stuff said if this could allow for noticeable performance increases, or if this is just the bare minimum to have 4k streaming, which seemed to be the focus.

5. Dammage
    Dammage
    April 18, 2016 at 10:03 pm

They really like their Matrix codenames eh? I was hoping this would just be an add-on but I guess not. Prolly will be a higher performance option for the new one

6. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    April 18, 2016 at 10:04 pm

But will it be able to run more games at a higher, if not at least more stable frame rate?

7. Bob Smith
    Bob Smith
    April 18, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Lol all these new upgraded console editions coming out.

So much for “PC is too expensive” I suppose.

8. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 18, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Well for some people I’m sure it’s the ‘it just works’ factor.

9. scemar
    scemar
    April 18, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Woah look at those improvements!
    They’re barely even there.
    What’s the point of even releasing an upgrade if it’s not really that much of an upgrade?

It’s still not a bad idea tho as long as they keep every game working on all systems and the new systems merely give the games an extra power to use so they can work better.

10. AnarKreig
    AnarKreig
    April 18, 2016 at 10:16 pm

It’s a good bump, sure, but will the 4.5 really have any benefits?

11. braneman
    braneman
    April 18, 2016 at 10:16 pm

One of the things about CPU’s these days(that I hate) is that more MHz doesn’t always mean more speed and you generally have to look at benchmarks to tell them apart. So this could be a much larger change than it looks like, or depending on the architecture it could be almost nothing.

12. LurkerJK
    LurkerJK
    April 18, 2016 at 10:18 pm

when comparing the same freaking chip at 2 different frequencies MHz works just fine

13. LurkerJK
    LurkerJK
    April 18, 2016 at 10:23 pm

they should call it playstation 2016, so we can differentiate it from playstation 2017, 2018, 2019… and so on in the future

14. Jack
    Jack
    April 18, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Does it know Kung Fu?

15. Pheria
    Pheria
    April 18, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Did you miss the part of the leak where the number of CU’s is DOUBLED?

16. LurkerJK
    LurkerJK
    April 18, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Don’t take that as TWICE THE POWER, unlike just outright overclocking the chip which is a linear increase, using more CUs depends a lot on how the software handles them and how they share resources with each other, they might and will probably find a bottle neck somewhere that caps the increase

17. braneman
    braneman
    April 18, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Well if you’re so goddamn smart what is the most important speed increase here? Is the ram upgrade going to be huge? is the processor overclock going to have a massive effect on the performance or will it be hampered by the ram?

I know that if I try and OC my graphics card even 100MHz is a ton because graphics cards are just a whole crapton of processors in parallel and any change is multiplied. But on my CPU that’s not so much. In fact 100 MHz on a CPU is so small these days that intel CPU’s will dynamically boost a full GHz or more.

ON TOP OF THAT its very likely that since this is a custom chip it won’t react the same way to overclocking as your average PC. AND its also running a very lightweight OS that doesn’t have anything running in the background.

18. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 18, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Yup, if you were comparing two completely different chip families then clock speeds won’t tell the whole story, but for the same model that’s about as straight forward of a comparison as it gets.

19. Bob Smith
    Bob Smith
    April 18, 2016 at 10:41 pm

I suppose that’s true; not everyone is technologically inclined. Hell, Apple makes a killing off of selling that mantra to idiots.

20. TylorW
    TylorW
    April 18, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Can they just please call it PS4 Slim and be done with it? I can’t find any other way for them to do a 4.5 version beside making it a Slim that doesn’t end up with pissed-off original PS4 buyers (and maybe an incentive to upgrade would help too).

Then again, I know that this isn’t the first time they’ve done this (they’ve been doing this since the PS2 if memory serves), so maybe I’m just being overly-cynical.

21. Smug
    Smug
    April 18, 2016 at 10:44 pm

A PC is pretty cheap when there are not many reasons to buy expensive hardware in the first place for vidya.

22. LaserCatsAreAwesome
    LaserCatsAreAwesome
    April 18, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Would be hilarious if the whole rumor has been some dedicated troll to demonstrate how these outlets value the almighty click over the validity of their sources, bullshit new consoles and their specs rumors have been around forever but you could have easily forgotten that when people act as if this is the first time this has ever happened in the history of gaming so it has to be true!

23. Pheria
    Pheria
    April 18, 2016 at 10:45 pm

I mean, sure, software can always gimp a maximum. But for a parallelized workload that a CPU can feed them quickly enough there’s now twice as many to work with.

24. Smug
    Smug
    April 18, 2016 at 10:46 pm

For the Neo-Gamers

old gamers are dead shitlord!

25. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 18, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Yeah I have to remind myself of it, and I’m not a genius at it or anything either. Even with how much easier PCs are nowadays, some people still get intimidated when it comes to configuration or upgrading components, so I think there will always be that appeal.

26. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    April 18, 2016 at 10:53 pm

It’s codenamed “cow”?

April 18, 2016 at 10:55 pm

It’s okay when Nintendo does it

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ

28. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    April 18, 2016 at 10:57 pm

oh great I was atleast hoping for a considerable hardware boost or for us the consumer to actually make it more powerful like a pc but they’re not doing any of this. it’s just a SLIGHTLY more powerful ps4.

so much for my thought about devs like sukerpunch actually making infamous actually HIT 60fps on this new hardware…

29. Touma Kazusa
    Touma Kazusa
    April 18, 2016 at 10:59 pm

As I keep saying, this upgrade is meaningless as there’s barely going to be any games that take advantage of the extra CPU. No game developer will make their game exclusive to the new model and miss the potential money those 30 something million users the regular PS4 has. Same as with the “New” 3DS we’ll probably see 1 or 2 exclusive games, and a couple of other that have slight improvements on the newer hardware.

30. LurkerJK
    LurkerJK
    April 18, 2016 at 11:05 pm

It should be noted that the games “can” be patched, it does not mean that they “will” be patched, i imagine in many cases the games will just keep a more consistent 30fps cap, there is very little incentive to spend development time/money on games that have been already milked

31. magicalfollower
    magicalfollower
    April 18, 2016 at 11:08 pm

It’s always okay when Nintendo does it. ALWAYS.
    ALL HAIL NINTENDO!

32. dsadsada
    dsadsada
    April 18, 2016 at 11:13 pm

I got one a couple of weeks ago. In my case though, I figured I could do without whatever the planned on doing with the 4.5 so at least mine was by choice.

33. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 18, 2016 at 11:18 pm

I’m not too worried either. I figure new games aren’t going to differ too much from one model to the next (if at all) or it could fragment the customer base.

34. Luna Sy
    Luna Sy
    April 18, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Can’t wait to play KH2.8 on the PS4.5 system version 3.7

35. Shane O'Shaughnessy
    Shane O'Shaughnessy
    April 19, 2016 at 12:07 am

I’ve never met a PC gamer that I thought was a normal person. That’s a factor too, even aside from the fact that I enjoy Sony first-party stuff.

36. Narmy
    Narmy
    April 19, 2016 at 12:17 am

Yeah, I have a gaming PC and I still play mainly on my consoles for that reason alone.

37. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 19, 2016 at 12:20 am

I was big into PC gaming years back, but as I get older I’m finding consoles more appealing again too.

38. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    April 19, 2016 at 12:24 am

It may be worth it if Bloodborne will run at 60.

39. DavidGX
    DavidGX
    April 19, 2016 at 12:32 am

And just like that, my PS4 is going on craigslist lol. Bye, Sony.

40. Lepito
    Lepito
    April 19, 2016 at 12:33 am

The PS4’s processor is an AMD APU. It is very close to an “average PC” in the sense that the PS4’s CPU is architecturally based on commercially-available desktop chips. The integrated GPU may be different but fundamentally the CPU itself is probably the same — it’s the same architecture after all.

So the idea that “it wouldn’t react the same way to overclocking” doesn’t quite make much sense. Both versions of the chip have the same amount of cores and the same core architecture. I can’t think of a reason why the chip with the faster clock wouldn’t actually be faster. They’re fundamentally the same thing except one is clocked faster at the factory. No need to get so worked up.

41. SoapyEyes
    SoapyEyes
    April 19, 2016 at 12:39 am

Still have my doubts this whole PS4.5 rumor has any truth to it. Having one unified spec is the biggest strength of consoles.

42. Cats736
    Cats736
    April 19, 2016 at 1:02 am

I hope it uses the same form factor as the PS4 so I can use the Neptunia skin but I doubt it will be…

43. scemar
    scemar
    April 19, 2016 at 1:43 am

Nintendo only does it with portables tho.
    But they go all out.
    3DS, 3DS XL, 3DS 2DS, “new” 3DS with exclusive game(s).

44. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    April 19, 2016 at 2:04 am

The RAM speed actually will be a nice boost, since with APUs RAM speed can make a big difference.

45. Karo
    Karo
    April 19, 2016 at 2:19 am

I still remember “sources” claiming the Xbone would run off a 6670. A card that is about 3 times weaker than what we actually got.

46. Mr_SP
    Mr_SP
    April 19, 2016 at 2:43 am

To be fair, the XL is the same as the 3DS, but with a bigger TV-equivalent.

47. Smug
    Smug
    April 19, 2016 at 2:45 am

I dont think I’ve seen a lot of people playing japanese games, especially the niche stuff, on Playstation consoles either

48. Smug
    Smug
    April 19, 2016 at 2:49 am

Too bad the screens still stay the same shitty quality, especially with the XL screens retaining the same res despite the size increase.

49. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    April 19, 2016 at 2:56 am

In that case I’ll take the blue pill.

50. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 19, 2016 at 2:59 am

Where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire… and there’s been a whole lot of smoke coming from many seperate sources so far.

And there’s no real advantage left to having single unified specs for consoles anymore, if there ever really was one; the “benefit” there used to be that devs needed the time to figure out how exactly to make games on unknown hardware using some alien architecture, and then learned to get more performance out of it over time because it wasn’t straightforward from the start.

Now consoles just more or less use stock PC parts, and there’s no real learning curve left. You won’t ever get to witness the kind of graphics jumps we had between launch games and end of gen releases anymore.

51. Stilzkin
    Stilzkin
    April 19, 2016 at 3:00 am

What’s even the point of consoles anymore if we get these mid generation jumps

52. Mr_SP
    Mr_SP
    April 19, 2016 at 3:14 am

Like I said, it’s the same as the 3DS. Bigger screen =/= better graphics.

53. dsadsada
    dsadsada
    April 19, 2016 at 3:51 am

Frankly I’m too busy shitposting online to play games on my PC which is why I tend to play more games on consoles. Less distractions.

54. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    April 19, 2016 at 3:53 am

That seems like a fairly small jump compared to what people have been expecting.

55. Dago
    Dago
    April 19, 2016 at 4:07 am

I used mine on my current PS4…
    If only i had known about this new PS4 sooner….

56. Meinos Kaen
    Meinos Kaen
    April 19, 2016 at 4:33 am

“There will be no games exclusive to the new hardware.” Thank god. That bullshit with the New 3DS didn’t fly.

57. Nani Sore
    Nani Sore
    April 19, 2016 at 4:37 am

I’ve never met a Anime fan that I thought was a normal person. :^)

58. otaku_gamer1991
    otaku_gamer1991
    April 19, 2016 at 4:48 am

will till now ican confirm the new neo ( new PS4) can play 4K games Until i see more GPU Details

59. 2501
    2501
    April 19, 2016 at 4:57 am

How about you release some games before you offer hardware upgrades for your beer coaster.

April 19, 2016 at 5:43 am

If the rumours are indeed true this has to be the biggest shot in the foot Sony has done since the “599 US Dollars” fiasco.

Adopting the New 3DS model is detrimental to everyone – gamers, developers and ever retailers. Releasing a .5 model removes one of the biggest advantages of consoles – the uniform hardware.

61. Zaku
    Zaku
    April 19, 2016 at 6:11 am

Hope this isn’t true. Just seems like it will piss off current PS4 owners. Especially if they bought one the year it’s announced.

62. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 19, 2016 at 6:23 am

Gamers will swallow it without a second thought because by now they’ve been conditioned to get hyped for and buy the newest, shiniest product.

Developers/publishers will just have to deal with the extra costs/time it might take to QA the games on these upgrades consoles.

Retailers will be happy to have the rate at which consoles are sold pick up again.

Sony will get to sell another console at a decent profit per unit.

Everyone wins~

Well, everyone but the gamers feeling forced to get another expensive device, but what are they gonna do? It’s not like they’re gonna get a PC instead, because otherwise they would’ve done so already.

63. Shinobu
    Shinobu
    April 19, 2016 at 6:41 am

JUST BUILD A PC!

April 19, 2016 at 6:48 am

I’m not so sure about that. There will definitely be a percentage of gamers that will double dip, but I don’t think most people will be happy that 2 years after the release of the original PS4 the console generation will end.

Developers will not put extra resources into QA and testing for both versions of the consoles. They will likely just develop the game for one version and port it to the other, which means one of the two game will not be optimised.

Retailers will have extra trouble explaining which games work on which version of the consoles. Their employees barely know what they are doing and this will introduce even more confusion.

Sony might earn some profit in the short term with this move, but this will damage their reputation and kill a large percentage of PSVR sales.

65. Sevuz
    Sevuz
    April 19, 2016 at 7:39 am

Yeah I would say that to. But again a PC ain’t a plug and play machine like a console. That’s why they are still around.

66. Sevuz
    Sevuz
    April 19, 2016 at 7:45 am

I agree. With this upgrade, we will see a more stable frames performance on the console and their VR will benefit from it as well. But that’s about it.

67. Sevuz
    Sevuz
    April 19, 2016 at 7:49 am

If these specs are true I bet many hardcore PS4 fans are gonna be mad or just storm out to get it.

68. catazxy
    catazxy
    April 19, 2016 at 7:52 am

Uh, if I had an ps4 I would feel awkward…..I liked Sony more when they were the underdog with the ps3 and they were pulling great exclusives every year….Now, I can’t see any reasons to buy any console…except handhelds…but then I see the puny resolutions and I cry a bit on the inside…

69. Softclocks
    Softclocks
    April 19, 2016 at 8:23 am

This.

70. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    April 19, 2016 at 9:28 am

And other Japanese games censored so you only get 0.75 of the original game.

71. SommenRider
    SommenRider
    April 19, 2016 at 10:14 am

Can PCs play Nier Automata (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

72. SommenRider
    SommenRider
    April 19, 2016 at 10:18 am

being technologically inclined doesn’t stop games from being console exclusives (づσ‿‿σ)づ

73. Luka?( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀?)
    Luka?( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀?)
    April 19, 2016 at 10:39 am

fucking lenny face on nichegamer

my god

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

74. Luka?( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀?)
    Luka?( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀?)
    April 19, 2016 at 10:39 am

just everybody here

75. Luka?( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀?)
    Luka?( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀?)
    April 19, 2016 at 10:40 am

noble cause fgt

76. WB1c_Marathon
    WB1c_Marathon
    April 19, 2016 at 10:47 am

Well, fuck this, I’m done with consoles. It’s bad enough Nintendo does this with handhelds, and I just bought my PS4 in Sept right before the price drop. This is seriously the worst generation.

77. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    April 19, 2016 at 11:16 am

Can it dodge bullets?

78. Feniks
    Feniks
    April 19, 2016 at 11:23 am

Not really, PC gaming is expensive here. 21%VAT to pay for all the infrastructure and social care.

I always love how everything is so cheap in the US whenever I’m over there (although it is kind of a shithole).

79. Feniks
    Feniks
    April 19, 2016 at 11:24 am

As an anime fan myself I can confirm.

80. Galbador
    Galbador
    April 19, 2016 at 11:27 am

Who says that?

81. Galbador
    Galbador
    April 19, 2016 at 11:30 am

This is funny how people rip each other’s head off because of some minor changes. Seriously, this is laughable *eats popcorn*

82. J_Joestar
    J_Joestar
    April 19, 2016 at 11:33 am

so it is essentially called “New PS4” but with a fancier word for “New”?

April 19, 2016 at 11:57 am

Nintendians

84. Galbador
    Galbador
    April 19, 2016 at 12:44 pm

You mean fanboys and yes, those are morons. Every company should get a wack on their head for bullshit like that, because this scares people away. 3 years is not an age for a console to be replaced by a new one or an update, which is so minimal, that one really needs to facepalm the head of the shoulder.

85. John Smith.
    John Smith.
    April 19, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Fuck you Sony!
    My PS4 is barely five months old and you’re already putting out a new version of it costing nearly twice as much.
    Just, fuck you, you greedy two faced %&¤&/%/!%/%¤/

86. CrimsonColossus
    CrimsonColossus
    April 19, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Well, my PS4 was stolen so I might as well buy this new one, but not at that fuckin price.

87. LaserCatsAreAwesome
    LaserCatsAreAwesome
    April 19, 2016 at 2:53 pm

My personal favorite was that the 3DS more powerful than the Wii but also was close to if not more powerful than the 360 because “several developers” said so.

88. C4
    C4
    April 19, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Why not both.gif

I might buy it but it’s still… weird to have two different spec PlayStations in one gen. I think no one is really happy with this if it’s true… I’d probably just put the old PS4 downstairs so it wouldn’t be an issue for me.

Tl;dr I’m kinda mad and still probably storm out to get it XD

89. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    April 19, 2016 at 6:39 pm

If this document is to be believed there isn’t going to be any exclusives. Sony will probably just discontinue the old one anyway, no point in having both.

PS4 is going on 3 years old now, so by the time this thing actually comes out it’ll probably be nearing the traditional 4-5 year lifespan of previous consoles. I have a feeling they’re trying to go back to that.

April 19, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I really doubt they’ll be able to force developers to properly do the basic/Neo modes of the games like the document describes – there may not be exclusives, but one of the two versions will likely suffer due to it being unoptimised. There is also the issue of all the PS4 games that are already out – will they work properly on the new hardware?

If they are really going to release it in 2019 then why not go for a PS5? The 4.5 kind of implies that it would be released sooner rather than later.

91. DariusQ
    DariusQ
    April 19, 2016 at 8:14 pm

In all likelihood this will go down just like the New 3DS. The manufacturer will generate a whole bunch of new interest in selling hardware but because of the existing install base developers won’t waste resources tapping into the additional horsepower. Net result: a lot more systems sold and no impact on the consumer’s gaming options.

92. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    April 19, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Optimization might not be an issue, since the architecture doesn’t seem to be changing at all, just the raw specs. So their API could be adjusted to work on both, like with 3DS/N3DS games, but the games with have to be programed to take advantage of the better hardware.

Assuming I’m right, they’re probably going to release the PS5 4-5 years after the PS4.5, that would give them their “10 years of support” they promised. Technology moves way too fast for a single console to last that long.

April 19, 2016 at 9:50 pm

That’s the thing though – there are cases where the performance of a game is quite different between 3DS and N3DS (Hyrule Warriors Legends for example).

They could’ve released the PS5 and still support the PS4, like the PS3 is continuing its life today for nearly 10 years.

I still kind of hope that this 4.5 business is not true.

94. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    April 20, 2016 at 12:55 am

Which is why they’ll probably discontinue support for the old model eventually, there isn’t any point in having both available. The issue is people who don’t/won’t upgrade.

Supporting both PS4’s and supporting PS4 and PS5 is effectively the same, performance differences aside.

I don’t think its as bad as people think, the main concern would be one model holding back the other.

April 20, 2016 at 4:36 am

The base model sold somewhere around 36 million units so cutting support will very much limit their player base, but as you suggested the main issue for them would be people who will not double dip.

Until the official information comes out there is no way of knowing what the situation truly is.

96. Sevuz
    Sevuz
    April 20, 2016 at 8:11 am

Only if we get a port :P

97. Sevuz
    Sevuz
    April 20, 2016 at 8:18 am

Seems silly to have an older and worse version of a console that have gotten better :P

I’m not surprised by the this move. Both Sony and MS know that their machines are underpowered. That’s why we see PS 4,5 now. Sony ain’t gonna keep making the old model. They will let it be replaced by the 4,5 Neo model little by little, until we see PS5.

I remember when the PS3 slim came out. Many store offered a trad in deal. We could see the same this time as well if we are lucky. But yeah I think would be smart just to wait for the next gen consoles.

98. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    April 20, 2016 at 11:14 am

PLEASE do something about this bot! I’ve flagged it every time I see the damn thing!

99. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    April 22, 2016 at 12:41 pm

It might be Neo, but it isn’t the [Xbox] One!