20 Minutes of Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna Footage

Square Enix recently displayed a nice chunk of gameplay for their upcoming throwback RPG, Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna.

Featured above, the new gameplay from the Tokyo RPG Factory-developed RPG shows off regular and boss battles, airship traveling, dungeon exploring, and more.

Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna is launching for both PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in Japan on February 18th. The game is also getting a western release sometime later this year.

1. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    February 12, 2016 at 8:18 am

Nice weather effects. OK atmosphere. OK graphics. Combat is pretty basic but looks fine.

Pretty darn basic, I have no incentive to get this game.

2. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    February 12, 2016 at 9:09 am

Throwback simulator 2016.

3. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    February 12, 2016 at 9:46 am

I will be more than happy to buy this. Since we tend to live in an era of ARPGS with ever increasing advanced battle systems and more complex narratives I welcome a basic JRPG formula I can sink my teeth into (that isn’t censored unlike a certain other franchise). I also really like the snowy environment and the seamless transition into battle without random encounters annoying the player.

I’ll be more than happy to pick this up alongside Knights of Azure! ^^

4. Rumble Red
    Rumble Red
    February 12, 2016 at 10:06 am

This seems like it could be either really comfy or completely dull. We’ll see, I guess, but I do appreciate what they’re going for.

5. Porkchop
    Porkchop
    February 12, 2016 at 10:40 am

Looks comfy

6. alterku
    alterku
    February 12, 2016 at 10:46 am

I applaud your enthusiasm sir. I was also enthusiastic before I saw how slow this game appeared to be… I’m hoping there are more effects and interesting things/ideas added before it ships. My favorite part of Chrono Trigger, aside from the story and characters, were the combo skills your party could perform. It was also so exciting when you unlocked one.

7. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    February 12, 2016 at 11:34 am

I think enthusiasm is key in gaming. Sometimes I have to pull myself back from the negativity and cynicism and remind myself that I am here because I love gaming especially of the niche variety.

It’s interesting you brought up Chrono Trigger because I definitely see a lot of familiar elements (especially that X-Slash). I too hope they give us more, yet at the same time simplicity can be a good thing too.

Chrono Trigger was not only innovative for it’s time it does things a lot of other RPGs have forgotten to do and that’s just have a fun amazing adventure like you did as a kid. And yeah the sheer amount of customization among your attacks is awesome (though I overused Magus a shit ton lol).

8. Nagato
    Nagato
    February 12, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Still looks pretty awesome; this is what JRPGs should’ve remained, instead of becoming half-hearted action titles.

9. bateruchan