Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom Announced for PS4

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom was announced at PlayStation Experience for the PlayStation 4.

The game was announced with a beautiful new trailer (featured above), and the game is absolutely stunning. The game features an “all-new cast of charming characters, an emotional storyline, and innovative gameplay design that will delight and challenge players.”

“With its emotional storytelling, innovative gameplay, and breathtaking aesthetics, the original Ni no Kuni broke new ground in the RPG genre and became one of the most beloved and well-received games of 2013,” said Eric Hartness, Vice President of Marketing at Bandai Namco Entertainment America. “With Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom, the artistic visionaries behind the first game are back to take their creative vision of a grand adventure to even higher heights that are sure to delight video game fans.”

The key staff working on the game include:

• Story & General Director: Akihiro Hino
  • Character Design: Yoshiyuki Momose
  • Music: Joe Hisashi

Continuing with the same Studio Ghibli artstyle, the game appears to follow Evan, a young boy who is the king of Ding Dong Dell, and follows him on a brand new adventure through the world of Ni no Kuni.

No release date was announced with the trailer, unfortunately, so even the release year is up in the air.

Chris Gregoria

I'm a pretty chill guy. Huge video game fan, but a bigger anime fan. I also love to write - obviously.

1. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    December 5, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I asked for this.

2. dathip
    dathip
    December 5, 2015 at 2:53 pm

This boy looks ugly. Cut your hair transgender and change your ton of voice.

3. Vault Man
    Vault Man
    December 5, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Neat. I loved Ni No Kuni’s child like innocence, though the puns. The puns. No more puns.

4. Juanalf
    Juanalf
    December 5, 2015 at 2:57 pm

I wanted this for so long,hopefully studio Ghibli is involved if not I still want it.

5. Joey
    Joey
    December 5, 2015 at 2:58 pm

That is truly one of the most disgusting, transphobic comments I have ever read, and is a disservice to all those males who like their hair longer than what is socially epxected for men.

And the voice is an RP British accent, which was also present in the first game.

6. Sin V
    Sin V
    December 5, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Hope they fixed the combat and the pet system from the first game. Also curious if Oliver will pop out at some point.

And what is it with Ni No Kuni and dying mothers?

7. Joey
    Joey
    December 5, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Game looks good. Still need to play the original.

8. dathip
    dathip
    December 5, 2015 at 3:04 pm

They need to cut their hair. Look like a man. Oh and trans-phobic(phobia-fear of something) I don’t fear anyone lol

9. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    December 5, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Oh man, I love the 1st game, I need this!

10. Go D. Usopp
    Go D. Usopp
    December 5, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Not gonna bother talking about phobias or any such nonsense but the character is actually really cute

Also lol if you think his hair is long you should see mine

11. dathip
    dathip
    December 5, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Cut your hair man haha

12. Feniks
    Feniks
    December 5, 2015 at 3:23 pm

They said this day would never come.

Ni no kuni was a game that oozed with charm. I fucking adored it. JRPGs are still alive.

13. Feniks
    Feniks
    December 5, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Biologically boys and girls are very similar before puberty kicks in.

14. bdp
    bdp
    December 5, 2015 at 3:28 pm

I haven’t even finished the first game because the combat stopped being fun after a while.

December 5, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I’ll get it if it hits $20 like the first.

16. Sin V
    Sin V
    December 5, 2015 at 3:39 pm

The combat seems good at first but things start going downhill when you get party members. I actually beat the entire game but the combat and pet system was basically a annoying chore. The charm of the story and world kept me going. I would have just preferred a movie at that point.

I hope they get things ironed out. It could have easily have had great battle and pet systems if some mechanics were revised. I know they got more experience now with pet systems now that they been releasing Youkai Watch since then.

17. mekia
    mekia
    December 5, 2015 at 3:41 pm

First one was ok but for some reason the game decided to treat me like a fucking moron. Explaining the same shit over and over made me stop play it.

18. Sylveria Shini
    Sylveria Shini
    December 5, 2015 at 3:49 pm

It is this weird mix of bahbys first RPG and being this clunky, impenetrable mess that punishes you for not knowing things away ahead of time. My “review” of ni-no-kuni once upon a time could basically be summed up as “Everything bad about new JRPGs combined with everything bad about old JRPGs”

19. Stilzkin
    Stilzkin
    December 5, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Long hair= woman?

10/10 logic

20. Stilzkin
    Stilzkin
    December 5, 2015 at 3:52 pm

My dick is diamonds

21. Dnetwork7
    Dnetwork7
    December 5, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Same just ordered it from amazon lol

22. Arenegeth
    Arenegeth
    December 5, 2015 at 4:09 pm

The first game was one of the best traditional JRPG’s of last generation, but it’s story lacked any of the uniqueness or epicness of an actual Ghibli film and was mostly usual Shounen dross.

I don’t think this will fare any better on that front, but if they improve on the gameplay, and hopefully do away with the horrible drop rates of the end-game I’d be interested. A Ghibli-style looking JRPG by itself is not enough to get me interested anymore.

Speaking of which, is Ghibli actually involved with this one, or are they just copying the style without them? Couldn’t tell by the trailer, since the studio has been in kind of a flux lately (since Miyazaki retired) this will be the first thing they’ve been involved with for awhile.

23. EinMugenTenshin
    EinMugenTenshin
    December 5, 2015 at 4:12 pm

First game was great, looking forward to the next one! :)

24. dathip
    dathip
    December 5, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Yes, cut your hair. Hell even the tone of his voice sounds like a girl.

25. EinMugenTenshin
    EinMugenTenshin
    December 5, 2015 at 4:14 pm

You can’t hear the difference between boys and girls at that age, sir.

26. Nagato
    Nagato
    December 5, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Never was particularly interested in the first one myself, but interesting to see it listed as “PS4 Console Debut”.

27. Stilzkin
    Stilzkin
    December 5, 2015 at 4:49 pm

0/10

28. dathip
    dathip
    December 5, 2015 at 4:54 pm

I sure can.

29. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    December 5, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Wow, they really changed the tone with this one. It almost looks like Ni-Oh.

30. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    December 5, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Excellent.

31. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    December 5, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Dying mothers and nonexistant fathers, like all JRPGs.

32. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    December 5, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Are we sure it’s a boy?

Looks really good though. I hope they make it better (combat was good… not great), and maybe some sort of kingdom management system.

33. Bitterbear
    Bitterbear
    December 5, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Uh.. The trailer’s title says Ni no Kuni II but the clip shows the Nioh game.

34. epobirs
    epobirs
    December 6, 2015 at 12:55 am

Even more shocking, the sequel to Ni-oh has a child protagonist and looks like a Miyazaki film.

35. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    December 6, 2015 at 2:17 am

I like how an exclusive JRPG I’m interested in is finally announced not even a week after deciding to it’d be safe to go with a PC instead, and on top of that its Ni No Kuni II. Somebody upstairs has a twisted sense of humor.>_>

Loved the first game, easily sunk about 80hrs into it before taking a break at the white witch’s lair. Looking forward to this.

36. Kurogal
    Kurogal
    December 6, 2015 at 8:45 am

The fact that Niche Gamer made the reverse mistake as (I believe as far as I can gather) the Sony channel is hilarious.
    I’m guessing that the video link was just ripped while the video title was still wrong.

37. Feniks
    Feniks
    December 6, 2015 at 11:12 am

Lol I understood that reference.

38. Joel Leonheart
    Joel Leonheart
    December 6, 2015 at 11:15 am

Hnmm…Why is sequel more darker tone with full blown demon’s etc.???

Yeah but on serious note it’s nice that the actual Ni No Kuni is getting a sequel :3

39. Brandon Orselli
    December 7, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Apologies. Updated with an official trailer and grabbed the wrong one :p

40. s3bbi
    s3bbi
    December 7, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Did they really “spoil” the end in the first trailer you see?
    Seems rather odd to see him as a king at the end, or maybe someting else will happen after that.
    Hope they fix the fighting system never finished one because it was absolutly boring and the AI was broken.

41. C4
    C4
    December 14, 2015 at 3:48 pm

He just “king of Ding Dong Dell” one of the NnK games’ towns / areas.

You probably need better familiar. One tank for each of the 2 AI characters, one mage (they gonna use MP anyway so why not at least have good spells) and one damage dealer. Make sure to keep Mites move where you attacks every enemy. It’s still useful even late in the game if you want to keep him in the party.

I don’t see issues not to finish it. Regular enemies run away from you if level is high enough so you basically only have to fight bosses.

42. chizwoz
    chizwoz
    December 16, 2015 at 5:11 am

This looks brilliant.
    Never got to play the first so this will hopefully do instead.

43. Cats736
    Cats736
    December 23, 2015 at 1:33 am

He’s a boy, he is also referred to as King.

44. machariel00
    machariel00
    February 28, 2016 at 2:13 am

Any info on dual audio? The first game had dual audio so there’s some hope.