Allison Road is a Horror Game Inspired by Silent Hills and the Amityville Murders

Allison Road is a pet project by Chris Kesler, a concept and environmental artist that worked on movies like The Hobbit, Avatar, and Guardians of the Galaxy. The game is highly similar to the recently-cancelled P.T. (SIlent HIlls), and for a good reason – Kesler played the P.T. demo and was floored/highly disturbed by it.

Featured above, you can view a walkthrough of sorts featuring a suburban British home that is both eerie and yet expertly crafted. The entire demo was created in roughly two months by Kesler himself, and while the P.T. inspiration is clearly there, Kesler also took some liberties from the DeFeo murders, otherwise known as the Amityville murders.

This is where the name for the game comes from, as one of Ronald DeFeo’s children was named Allison. While there are no scares in the walkthrough, the provided screenshots do show a few haunting and disturbing images:

When speaking to MoviePilot, Kesler talked about how P.T. truly disturbed him, and inspired him to make something of it:

“I finished the whole thing the same night, and frankly I was quite… disturbed… after that. I realized two things that night. 1.) My house is scary as hell at night. 2.) You can make an entire short game with only one hallway. Who would have thought? Somehow it never occurred to me that something on such a small scale could totally work, but that night it really clicked.”

The goal of the game is to solve the murder of a young daughter, following a violent fight in the tenants above your own place. The key thing here is timing – you only have until later in the night to solve their murder, otherwise you’ll presumably get killed by the same murderer.

A release date for Allison Road isn’t confirmed – but we do know Kesler and his small team (which now includes an animator, musician, two programmers, and a sound designer) are looking to ship the game some time next year. For now, you can follow their progress on Facebook.

1. deadeye
    deadeye
    May 22, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Silent Hills may have had a short lived life, but I feel like it’s going to inspire survival horror games for a long time.

Mostly because it actually does survival horror well, unlike 99% of modern horror games where it’s just jump scares strung together in a stereotypically creepy environment.

Just look at P.T. next to crap like Five Nights at Freddie’s, and you can see a huge difference. P.T. does what SIlent Hill originally set out to do. Creep you out, disturb you, unhinge you, create a tension that persists throughout the game, and any scares are very few but very effective. Meanwhile, everything else is just cheap with absolutely no sense of subtlety.

And I also want Konami to forever regret cancelling Silent Hills and getting rid of Kojima. So I want there to be a really successful game that takes inspiration from it. It will just whisper in Konami’s ear “this could have been you”.

2. Dom The Elegy
    Dom The Elegy
    May 22, 2015 at 4:37 pm

That’s some Rorschach level shit right there.
    “The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout “Save us!”…and I’ll look down, and whisper “No.””

I also hope that Silent Hills will emerge under a different name, with all the people involved. Everyone will know that it’s Silent Hills but it’ll be named “Spoopy shit” or something because copyright.

3. Hannes Steenkamp
    Hannes Steenkamp
    May 22, 2015 at 4:38 pm

I completely agree with what you say. Just a reminder about five night at freddie’s is that it basically less of a game and more like a piece of youtube click bait for let’s players the “game” works well for 15-30 minute segments.

I would also like to see a horror game done right again. Even in the niche market horror is well… EXTREMELY niche.

4. eltonBorges
    eltonBorges
    May 22, 2015 at 8:04 pm

So we might have a timed adventure game with a “killer ghost” in FPP. You know, this really reminded me of the first Echo Night, back in the PS1.
    Now, I see people talking crap about FNAF, and, I mean, it’s a one man experiment, and the developer might be milking it, but he tried something new at least. I think FNAF is a really interesting game, even if it’s not a great game.
    By the way, any news about Night Cry?

5. Hrist
    Hrist
    May 22, 2015 at 10:13 pm

That level of detail is impressive. Hope to see the game next year.

May 23, 2015 at 12:22 am

Looks cool although the amityville Murders are very unimpressive when you read into them, much like nearly all horror movies inspiration sadly.

7. TheCynicalReaper
    TheCynicalReaper
    May 23, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Hopefully this won’t just be jump scares like P.T.
    The real success to P.T. wasn’t it’s level of horror or it’s mediocre style of presenting it, but rather it’s incredibly realistic environment which sucked you into the house to such a point where the mediocre was amazingly effective.

An entire game like that, though? I guess we’ll see.

8. reaxxionrj