Rumor: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 3D is Leaked [UPDATE]

the legend of zelda twilight princess 04-19-15-1

[UPDATE]

It appears the StreetPass listing is indeed fake (thanks, TheSunniestBro!), although the creation of this hoax is a lot more dangerous than simply trolling some internet users.

We’ve learned (via NintendoEverything) that the user hacked their 3DS to allow them to display any game they want in their recently played game. There’s a caveat here though – Nintendo is seemingly cracking down on this, and subsequently banning any users involved in this StreetPass interaction, even if they’re not responsible. The key here is when users try to load the eShop page for Twilight Princess 3D (which doesn’t exist), they’re promptly banned from accessing the Nintendo Network.

[ORIGINAL STORY]

Consider this a rumor for now, but it seems like a tester from Nintendo may have just leaked The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 3D for the Nintendo 3DS.

The news comes via a fan who interacted with the user, by StreetPass, at the German Zelda Symphony. We’ve screencapped the original Tweet, below:

the legend of zelda twilight princess 3d 04-19-15-2

So while The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D just launched worldwide, perhaps this is the next step in Nintendo’s ongoing pursuit of re-releasing previous generation Zelda titles?

[Editor’s Note: We’ve found a second sighting, via Sebiroth (thanks, Guillaume Monnet!)]

So what do you guys think – is a Twilight Princess remake on the Nintendo 3DS something that makes sense? Sound off in the comments below!

1. Loli-Nox-Tan
    Loli-Nox-Tan
    April 19, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Tbh I would absolutely love this. Haven’t even started Majora’s Mask (Finishing up OoT) but even more of my favourite games on the console is surely a good thing

2. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    April 19, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Should be trivial for him to give more screenshots if real.

3. DoktorSleepless
    DoktorSleepless
    April 19, 2015 at 1:47 pm

God damn it, Nintendo. NEW games. NEW. N-E-W. No more Zelda. No more Mario. New IPs. Let’s get out of the past here. Revisit something you haven’t milked to death.

Like Metroid. Gimme another one of those. OR take the basic gameplay of one of your past IPs and adapt it to a new one. Take Zelda’s gameplay and put it in a future setting. SOMETHING.

4. Nick_Soapdish
    Nick_Soapdish
    April 19, 2015 at 1:49 pm

You know Splatoon is out in a few months.

5. Nick_Soapdish
    Nick_Soapdish
    April 19, 2015 at 1:51 pm

I know Xenoblade is a real good port but I don’t know how I feel about graphical downgrades for games like this. It’s not like Zelda and RPGs scream for portable small screen play. Still I wouldn’t mind playing TP again. I’d expect this to be New 3DS exclusive.

6. Siveon
    Siveon
    April 19, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I don’t know about Zelda, but the grindy nature of some (if not most) JRPGs allows it to fit pretty well on the handheld market. All you lose when ported to the 3DS is eye-candy (hopefully), and I’ve never played an RPG for that.

7. NessWonderSprite
    NessWonderSprite
    April 19, 2015 at 2:02 pm

shut up. Nintendo released a new IP in feb and a new one in May. Stop trolling.

April 19, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Fake or spoofed I bet $1 on it.

9. Kamon
    Kamon
    April 19, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Ugh.. Do not want.

10. Osama
    Osama
    April 19, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Says the NIntendrone.

11. Pyrotek85
    Pyrotek85
    April 19, 2015 at 2:08 pm

My only possible concern is which will it be based on, GC or Wii? The Wii version’s game is mirrored compared to the original GC game, and it would be endlessly confusing to me having played the Wii version quite a few times. The best solution would be allowing you to choose between them if possible.

12. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    April 19, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Well, I don’t have a New 3DS and I didn’t like Twilight Princess the first time around, so it’s hard to be excited.

13. Siveon
    Siveon
    April 19, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Play any new Mother games lately?

14. Siveon
    Siveon
    April 19, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Probably fake, but I would get it if it’s true. Never played it the first time around.

15. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 19, 2015 at 2:26 pm

No doubt that’s the last you’ll ever see of either IP as well, even though I could see Splatoon becoming something worthwhile if they stick with it next-gen and fix some of their bullshit.

And lets not pretend it wasn’t /this/ close already to being released as another Mario game…

16. Daniel Rossevelt
    Daniel Rossevelt
    April 19, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Ohh hello I know you.

17. Brandon Orselli
    April 19, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Oh wow, good to know! Will update the OP!

18. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    April 19, 2015 at 3:19 pm

If it’s for the New 3DS then it will be a smart move on their part, if it’s for the Old 3DS then it will be impressive!

19. Taedirk
    Taedirk
    April 19, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Shh, no logic in the circlejerk.

Honestly, it doesn’t bother me if it’s real or not. Grezzo’s been doing a good job with their N64 remake versions and there’s obviously a market for it. It’s not like we’re locking the Top Developer Gurus in the closet and forcing them to churn out these titles but a second party dev team that’s been making their bread and butter as a remake factory.

20. Pyrotek85
    Pyrotek85
    April 19, 2015 at 3:42 pm

That’s why I don’t mind them. Nintendo as a whole can do more than one thing at a time, and they can always expand too if needed. It’s not like the ports have been shabby either, as you said.

21. Anonymous
    Anonymous
    April 19, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Well at least this is one remake where there’s hardly nothing of valuey they can ruin from the original’s version with their terrible random changes to the game.

I’d like to see the inevitable eventual skyward sword remake though, if their current trend of making everything easier continues with that game imagine how it’ll be, press A to watch Link solve puzzles, press A to watch Link go to the next point. It’ll be the most streamlined and improved Zelda experience ever.

22. Ibi Salmon
    Ibi Salmon
    April 19, 2015 at 4:26 pm

I’m conflicted about this. On one hand, Twilight Princess is one of my favorite Zelda games and it brought me in to the series. On the other hand, I think it’s too soon for a remake of this game. The Majora’s Mask remake was released a few months ago. They should wait until they released Zelda Wii U before announcing it, assuming that the rumor is true.

23. Loli-Nox-Tan
    Loli-Nox-Tan
    April 19, 2015 at 5:13 pm

They aren’t announcing it though. Work on Majora’s Mask 3D started soon after OoT 3D was released but we didn’t hear about that till a few months before release.

24. NessWonderSprite
    NessWonderSprite
    April 19, 2015 at 6:19 pm

It was NEVER close to being a mario game. It was something thrown around in preproduction

25. NessWonderSprite
    NessWonderSprite
    April 19, 2015 at 6:19 pm

The creator retired, Nintendo respected that

26. Wonderkarp
    Wonderkarp
    April 19, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Considering the new 3ds can play xenoblade pretty good. I’d say there is a good possibility of this and others coming to 3ds. can you imagine Metroid Prime Trilogy 3D?

27. Siveon
    Siveon
    April 19, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Could at least localize the third one. We’re seeing PSP ports still, why not at least throw the fans a bone?

I don’t agree with DoktorSleepless, but a bit of variety in their usage of IPs would be a benefit to us all.

28. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    April 19, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Its possible they might actually use one for the regular version, and use the other for a master quest version, since mirroring the world is one of the tricks they use for the master quest version if I recall.

Which one is the “real” version is a mystery though, although I’d be willing to bet its the GC version, they only mirrored it for the Wii because most people would swing the remote with their right-handed and Link is a lefty.

29. Tromboner
    Tromboner
    April 19, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Whenever Nintendo makes new IPs, people ignore them and complain they aren’t some established franchise. Most recently, Codename Steam not being Fire Emblem or Advance Wars. When they re-release out of print games for new hardware formats so new generations of fans can enjoy them, people like you complain. Did you play Pushmo? The long-awaited localization of Takamaru’s game? Steel Diver Sub Wars? Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball? Wonderful 101? I can keep going. I’m sure you’ll have a litany of reasons for why you ignored titles, but Nintendo does new IP all the time and people ignore it.

Also, look at your own post. “New IPs. Let’s get out of the past here.” Then you ask for a Metroid game. While I’d love to see a new Metroid as well, realize what you’re saying. No new IP they introduce, no matter how much advertising they give it, can achieve anything even close to the brand recognition of their flagship titles.

30. Pyrotek85
    Pyrotek85
    April 19, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. It’s not that it’d be unplayable or anything since I know the game very well, it would just screw with my head lol.

But I’m pretty sure GC is the real one too, being the original. Plus if I’m not mistaken the sun rises in the west for the Wii version, which is generally considered wrong even for fantasy worlds.

31. Tromboner
    Tromboner
    April 19, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Agreed. I think people do have unrealistic expectations as to what Nintendo can and should do, though. Ports and remakes are fine so long as they aren’t distracting development resources away from the main teams, in my opinion.

32. Pyrotek85
    Pyrotek85
    April 19, 2015 at 7:51 pm

The hate for remakes always baffles me. Most people don’t keep old systems around, so even though a title might technically be available on ebay or even virtual console, the fact is most younger players aren’t going to be exposed to them. I think some long time gamers are forgetting just how long ago some of these came out.

MM for example was originally released in 2000. That was 15 years ago so there are now a ton of players who weren’t even alive yet, and scores more who would likely have been too young. Putting the game on a current system as a new release that’ll be seen in stores is a big deal as far as exposure and advertising goes.

33. NessWonderSprite
    NessWonderSprite
    April 19, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Sony is not localizing PSP games, or Vita games……

34. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    April 19, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Same here, Twilight Princess is my 2nd least favorite of all the 3D Zeldas (Skyward Sword being my very least favorite). However, I would still be happy for those who did enjoy the game.

35. Siveon
    Siveon
    April 19, 2015 at 9:46 pm

That has more to do with Sony not trusting the Vita, than underusing their IPs. Besides, they had a hand at localizing Oreshika or whatever, no?

36. YukiTron
    YukiTron
    April 19, 2015 at 9:53 pm

I wouldn’t be opposed to this, even though I dislike Twilight Princess

37. TheSegaMan
    TheSegaMan
    April 20, 2015 at 1:16 am

This makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint. Seeing how well their past remakes have done and how the New 3DS can run Wii titles, it only makes sense to port a Zelda game to the system to boost sales. Not to mention that it will be a Zelda title to help hold many people over till Zelda U comes out next year. I know I am in the minority here, but Twilight Princess is one of my absolute favorite Zelda games, so I welcome this with open arms, though I would prefer to see a brand new 3DS Zelda game.

38. NessWonderSprite
    NessWonderSprite
    April 20, 2015 at 7:40 am

Nintendo is localizing Fire Emblem, Xenoblade X, they are doing monster localization projects.

39. Ferofax
    Ferofax
    April 21, 2015 at 4:42 am

The idea that there’s a lone guy out there walking with a copy of Twilight Princess 3D and letting people tag that from him, it’s quite preposterous. Absolutely ridiculous.

40. DoktorSleepless
    DoktorSleepless
    April 25, 2015 at 4:02 am

Someone only read the first sentence of my post…

“Or something that hasn’t been milked to death”

Variety is the spice of life.

41. Siveon
    Siveon
    April 25, 2015 at 4:33 am

You know I was agreeing with you on that point, right?

42. DoktorSleepless
    DoktorSleepless
    April 26, 2015 at 4:22 am

Yep. I noticed. And then you went and said “I don’t agree”. Which prompted that response.