Twitter Campaign #Operation422 is Trying to Bring Valkyria Chronicles 3 Overseas

operation422news1-3-1-15

If you’ve been patrolling the Twittersphere as of late, you may have noticed an ambitious NeoGaf user by the name of Sven Dahl attempting to start a social media campaign to bring Valkyria Chronicles 3 overseas. Called #Operation422, presumably named after the 422nd Penal Battalion whose story VC3 follows, the campaign is designed to attract the attention of Sega in a similar fashion to the previous Sega-related change.org petition.

Here’s a portion of Sven’s Manifesto:

Operation 422 is a renewed campaign to encourage Sega to bring Valkyria Chronicles 3 to western markets – No matter the platform. You may have looked at older campaigns, like the ill-fated Gallian Liberation Front and came to the conclusion that this is a lost cause. It isn’t. 2011 presented a very different environment compared to 2015 – Namely, it had just been going off of the embarassment of Valkyria Chronicles 2, which naturally doomed the third game at the time.

We are not asking for a fullblown remake, premium remastering, or whole new game. We are asking for a localization and western release on any non-PSP platform. PS4… 3DS… Or for obvious reasons, PC. The great reactions to the PC release of Valkyria Chronicles in the PC Gaming Community and internally at Sega proved that the series has a future in the west, and now is the time to capitalize on that future. There are two roads that can be taken here – Sit content with the results of Valkyria Chronicles PC and let the series once more drift into the abyss, or act on the opportunity it has created and restore the IP to its deserved glory and amend the sour note left by Valkyria Chronicles 3‘s absence in western markets.

While it’s impossible to tell to what degree the previous petition influenced Sega’s decision-making, recent reports of internal shakeups causing the company to cut 300 jobs may be another key reason in encouraging Sega to focus more on the PC markets. Several of their published titles, such as Creative Assembly’s Total War series, have been strong sellers, and with the console industry declining in Japan, we may be witnessing the beginning of a trend of Sega localizing and porting its IPs to alleviate its financial woes.

, , ,
Ryan Silva

Writer, Cinematographer, Japanophile and Grand Strategy Addict with just enough charm, wit, and mastery of Latin to masquerade as a man of letters. Twitter handle: @waye_farer

1. Dammage
    Dammage
    March 2, 2015 at 11:09 am

Can’t wait for Sega not do do anything. Seriously, they’ll give us Miku but not this? Does PDf really do that well here?

2. mega jew
    mega jew
    March 2, 2015 at 11:20 am

It already got translated though.

3. Phelan
    Phelan
    March 2, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I’d like it for Vita or PSP… but PC/PS4? not so much…

PSP games don’t look good on big screen. (YES I’M TALKING TO YOU SE!)

EDIT: and I’ve been asking for a Vita version for quite a long time already. Each time they were replying “we are listening”

4. Cerzel
    Cerzel
    March 2, 2015 at 1:10 pm

I kept waiting for them to update to 100%, but they never did, and it looks like the project’s been abandoned at this point. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be stuck with it unfinished like this, but I suppose it’s the only way I’ll ever be able to play it.

5. MaidKillua
    MaidKillua
    March 2, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Don’t have a PS4 and my PC is abysmally weak and the platform doesn’t have enough exclusives I care about for me to spend the absurd amount it’d cost to build one. So Vita or 3DS would be ideal

6. Reset Tears
    Reset Tears
    March 2, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Vita would be ideal for this IMO, but I wouldn’t expect Sega to bother with such an effort. Maybe if Japan gets some VC Collection made, there would be some small chance of localization.

7. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    March 2, 2015 at 2:59 pm

From what ive seen ( and played) the 2 PDF games that came over in the states have been getting positive press/reviews though reaching something of a niche audience. Sega is also releasing Project Miria for the 3DS in the states sometime this year. I’m assuming its due to the positive reception of the PDF games.

8. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    March 2, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Miku prints money. The figmas, the CDs… whatever it is you might think of, it brings in a lot of cash. Project Diva games are no exception.

9. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    March 2, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Couldn’t hurt to join the bandwagon. I’d love me some more Valkyria Chronicles, if anything hoping it suceeds enough to see a 4th game, this time natively made for the PC.

10. Siveon
    Siveon
    March 2, 2015 at 4:54 pm

I really doubt Sega would go through all the trouble to port VC3 onto the 3DS. Let alone localize it.

11. Siveon
    Siveon
    March 2, 2015 at 4:54 pm

…In the west? That’s surprising. I know there was a following but for it to actually be profitable boggles my mind.

12. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    March 2, 2015 at 5:38 pm

The CDs maybe not so much (though I suspect the music sells nicely enough on iTunes), but I do know a large amount of people import Miku figmas. Japanese toy stores like Hobby Search, Amiami and Hobby Link Japan have seen a big surge in importing from 5 years ago to now, and from my interactions with collectors and toy collecting communities, Miku figmas are at the top. I think I own around 12 Mikus or so myself (not all figmas, though – includes nendos, statues and the Chogokin).

I mean, they wouldn’t bring the Miku Concert overseas if it wasn’t a sure hit, considering it has costly equipment involved for her projection.

And the games were definitely a success.

13. Dammage
    Dammage
    March 2, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Yeah but in the West? Only people I even see with a Vita in the first place is people online and me in the mirror. Guess it’s an easy to localize game though

14. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    March 2, 2015 at 7:28 pm

I really have no faith in Sega caring at this point. I’m already mad they gimped the series by putting it on handhelds in the first place. Screw you, Sega.

15. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    March 2, 2015 at 7:30 pm

I was thinking about the PS3 game, mostly, to be honest. That and I think the PSP one sold well.

16. Alene Composta
    Alene Composta
    March 2, 2015 at 7:36 pm

He does realize it costs less to port an already-translated game to PC than to localize something from scratch AND port it, right? If even IFI and Compile Heart can bring their games to Steam, then porting alone can’t be very expensive. Sega would sooner release VC2 to see if there’s a market for blurry PSP ports on PC before taking a bigger risk with VC3.

The only thing we know for sure about VC’s PC sales is that early sales exceeded Sega’s expectations, but strong early sales don’t always translate into success. Sega was “reasonably encouraged” by first-day sales of Vanquish before it eventually failed. Dragon Age 2’s first-week sales blew Origins out of the water, then it fell off the cliff. Sega hasn’t said anything else about VC since that November 12 blog post celebrating its top position on Steam.

I expect this will go the way of almost every hashtag campaign where the goal is to get someone to do something for you, for free, with nothing to entice them besides vague, unsupported claims. One of the previous Sega-targeted campaigns at least offered discounted professional translation services.

17. MaidKillua
    MaidKillua
    March 2, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I don’t think they would either. Just what I think would be ideal if they WERE to localise it

18. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    March 2, 2015 at 8:46 pm

PSP to 3DS ports are fairly common even if I can’t think of a SEGA published example. I suppose it would be less troublesome to reach out to the Vita with a PSP localisation on the store, but it is a possibility.

Pretty indifferent to which platform if this call results in a good localisation which is the key thing.

19. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    March 2, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Sure, I’d join in. I like the sound of a community charged just to see the game localised whether it is on the 3DS, Vita and/or PC.