Awesomenauts is the latest from Ronimo Games, a Netherlands indie developer. They’re the guys behind Swords & Soldiers and DeBlob. Think of it as a 2D MOBA, like League of Legends or DOTA but if it was a 2D with a lot of 80’s humor.
Now, Ronimo Games is bringing the game to Playstation 4 and they’re also trying to expand the entire game in a big way with new characters, levels and so on.
In roughly a week their kickstarter has already hit its goal and they’re all set to reap the stretch goal rewards.
You can check out the Starstorm Expansion video below, it features their signature 80’s hair metal/cartoon show music:
You can check out all the stuff that is coming to the PC and PS4 expansion to the game below:
- Ted McPain was one of the great heroes of the first AI Wars, a long time ago. Long after his eventual heroic demise, he lived on as he became the star of various video games: Ted McPain I through XVII, Ted McPain: Zombie Blast, Ted McPain vs. Evil Ted McPain and Ted McPain Unicorn Dance Karting. Now Voltar managed to re-materialize Ted. The Ted McPain that appeared, though, was missing his pants for unknown reasons.
- Like a true hero, Ted McPain caries several guns. He can switch between those during combat to vary the manner in which he delivers destruction.
- Class: Brawler
- Sentry is a robot built for infiltration, fooling enemy troops by mimicking anything from an umbrella to a phone booth. After re-activating aboard the Starstorm and finding it overrun by hostile mercenaries, Sentry chose to join them undercover. Biding his time to exact revenge, gathering enough Solar to buy a very serious tank. One with a shark printed on the front!
- Sentry can activate his shield to collect damage, shooting it back at his opponents when the shield ends.
- Class: Tank
- Skree, the powerful but superstitious techno shaman, found himself all alone on an abandoned space station: the Starstorm, filled with mighty looking robots. Thinking the disabled robots were gods, he spent his time collecting different parts of the battle station to create shrines for them. While connecting robot parts and machine scraps to form huge robotic statues and altars, he accidentally activated the mainframe of the Starstorm, re-powering the entire battle station! Frightened by his now activated robotic gods, Skree decided he didn’t want to worship them anymore. What better way to travel the universe in search of new spirit-gods, than to join the Awesomenauts?
- When Skree positions his board on the ground, he becomes invisible for several seconds. Then the board rushes straight back to him, damaging everything in its way.
- Class: Assassin
Ted McPain, Sentry X-58 and Skree have all lived through parts of the Starstorm story, so they will have special voice lines for when they encounter each other in battle.
All characters will also be added to the Playstation 4 version of the Starstorm expansion.
Along with these new characters, the Starstorm expansion will add a bunch of awesome new features:
- Spectator Mode allows your friends to watch your matches! They can freely move the camera, switch which character to follow, and investigate what all the players have bought. Spectators will view the match with a thirty second delay to avoid foul play. This makes Spectator Mode perfect for streaming tournament matches.Players will only be able to spectate a match after receiving an invitation from one of the active players, and the number of spectators that can view a game simultaneously is limited. If the “Replays” stretch goal below is made, we will also extend the Spectator Mode so that public matches can be viewed by an unlimited number of people.
- We will add global chat in the main menu. Discuss the latest tactics, find people to play Private Matches with, and talk about that sick Froggy G & Derpl combo you saw in that match you just spectated.
- For ultimate precision with controllers, we will add an optional second control scheme: twin stick! One stick to walk, the other stick to aim. With this, those who prefer a controller over a mouse can get the same killer aim as mouse players. The old control scheme will of course also still be available to play with.
- Along with the 3 new theme songs and killing spree songs of the new characters, there will also be 2 new songs added to the regular soundtrack. More variation, more beats, more awesomeness.
Their next stretch goal is $200,000, for another new map and even more new music.