Chroma Squad is a sentai hero tv show simulator / tactical turn based RPG. So what the hell does all of that mean?! Sentai tv shows are Japanese tv shows that focus on three or five people who all have different power. Their combination in battle creates a special weapon to help them defeat the enemies of Earth.
Yes, this is heavily based off of Power Rangers, Changeman, Captain Planet, etc. If you were ever a fan of those shows growing up, this game is probably going to hit you right in the childhood. It features tons of references to those shows while having its own unique storyline, complete with multiple endings.
The story of Chroma Squad is about a group of stuntmen who decide to start their own sentai tv studio. Your role is their manager, in which you hire actors, purchase cameras and new equipment and ultimately make everything explode with special effects. You can see their pitch video below:
Here are some of the features to expect in the game:
- Hire and customize your actors.
- Choose their jumpsuit color and their roles on battle.
- Select skills and make your own build of abilities. Each color has its own skill tree of possibilities.
- Buy equipment for your studio, such as cameras, microphones, chromakey carpets and lights to improve your gameplay experience.
- Record episodes and complete seasons.
- Each episode is a mix between tactical turn-based battles, with tons of dialogues, and explosive cinematics.
- You have the lights, the cameras, and of course, you make the action! You control the movement, attack and skills of each of your chromatic party while recording.
- Purchase consumable items and improve your abilities. Example: buy fireworks and gain +1 damage to your attack.
- Create channels and improve your marketing campaigns, sending letters to your fans’ mailboxes, chatting on IRC, going to conventions, and releasing comic books.
- Take care of your fans, in a very cute mini-game, listening to their distinct stories and deciding if they deserve what they’re asking for. Like a little boy who asks to visit the studio, but once you let him, you can’t tell if he might break anything valuable. ;D
- Record episodes with other studios online. Fight for audience in cooperative and competitive modes.
The game is being developed by indie devs Behold Studios, who are based out of Brazil. They’re currently sitting at $40K out of their $55K kickstarter goal, with a little less than a month to go.
Clearly, the game is going to be funded. If you want a piece of this amazing super sentai hero action, check out their kickstarter page here. Behold Studios have also done a bunch of other awesome looking games, so please check out their site to see their other games.