SNK has announced a PlayStation 4 and PS Vita release for Samurai Shodown V Special.
This is the first time the game is being officially released for a platform outside its original Neo Geo release back in 2004.
The game is an upgraded version of Samurai Shodown V, and it brings with it new characters Samurai Shodown boss, Amakusa Shiro Tokisada, and Samurai Shodown III boss, Zankuro Minazuki, as well as Samurai Shodown II boss, Rashoujin Mizuki.
There’s also a bunch of visual and sound changes to make the game feel more fresh, and some new stages were added. The game’s modern port will bring with it new content like online multiplayer, a gallery mode filled with unlockable art, and even trophy support.
A release date wasn’t mentioned, however you can view the game’s debut trailer above. This is probably the game SNK was teasing earlier on Twitter.
Here’s a rundown on the game, via SNK:
Samurai Shodown V Special is one of the most well-regarded SNK fighting games among the fighting game community. It is easily one of the most balanced games in the series and features both brand-new systems and an extra layer of polish on already existing mechanics. The game is designed to place emphasis on the qualities that are unique to the Samurai Shodown series. With much less of a focus on combos and supers, victory in Samurai Shodown V Special at high level play will usually come down to using range and spacing to your advantage.
There are a variety of systems and mechanics that have contributed to the game becoming a favorite among hardcore fighting game fans.
- Sword Gauge: A meter that directly affects how much damage you do. Any attack—even whiffs or blocked attacks—reduces the meter and the amount of damage you can do. It slowly regenerates to maximum when you are not attacking.
- Rage Gauge: A staple in the Samurai Shodown series. Taking damage fills this meter and once at max it results in increased attack power along with other bonuses. A Rage Explosion command can also be used which can be used to push back your opponent and open up other possibilities.
- Weapon Flipping Attack: The super special move of Samurai Shodown V Special. It can be used while the Rage Gauge is at max or during a Rage Explosion. The move will both deal significant damage to the opponent and disarm them.
- Concentration One: Only usable under certain conditions, this move will result in your opponent going into slow motion while you move at normal speed. Combined with the damaging Fatal Flash command that can only be used in this state, this command is perfect for staging last minute come-backs.
- Overkill Moves: These are ultimate moves that can only be used once during a match against an opponent who is already on the ropes. Landing this move will result in your character executing the opponent with a brutal, visceral secret technique.