This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Brazilian lawyer-turned-game developer Sílvio Medeiros has been working on a promising hybrid game of sorts, and it’s coming along nicely.
Titled Plague Huntress, the game is clearly inspired by classics like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, while also blending some elements from RPGs in terms of story, mechanics, and character development.
Players will be able to level up and distribute skill points to Vigor, Strength, Dexterity and Intellect in whichever way you see fit. From there you can equip combat skills and further customize your character.
The story takes place after a brief reprise from a succession war, due to a cataclysmic event that unleashes a deadly mist that spreads a new plague. As people get transformed into monsters, the survivors are left defenseless.
Due to your expected political infighting, a unified defense against the plague on humanity is never truly established – instead the Hunters from The Church of The Innocent step in to mankind’s aid.
As the kingdom relies on the Church more and more, the hunters and the clergy grow in power and influence. The protagonist Leora, a devout huntress, gets assigned with capturing an infamous deserter.
As you battle through fiendish creatures of the night, you’ll be confronted with political schemes and dark secrets that will challenge the faith of Leora, and possibly reveal the truth behind the plague itself.
Here are the game’s key features:
- Level up and distribute stat points to customize your character;
- Acquire new exploration abilities to reach previously inaccessible areas;
- Explore a large interconnected map to discover secret passages and treasures;
- Loot or buy new weapons and armor to further augment your play style;
- Defeat the creatures of the blight and collect their essences to learn new combat skills that build upon your stat choices;
- Quest system to keep track of objectives, rewards and story developments;
- Face political corruption, religious concerns and moral issues in a mature storyline;
- Classic pixel art graphics presenting a dark and grim atmosphere;
- Fully customizable controls with gamepad and keyboard support.
A release window for Plague Huntress isn’t currently known – however for now you should peruse the game’s official website, and sign up to its newsletter for new updates.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!