Tomorrow is the 20th anniversary for the original Diablo, and to celebrate Blizzard Entertainment is holding a whole host of promotions across their currently-released games.
The most notable event is the previously announced recreation of the original Diablo within Diablo III, which happens in an in-game event called “The Darkening of Tristram.” As you explore the reimagined cathedral, you’ll be able to find “some familiar items.”
There’s some other goodies, like Diablo-themed sprays in Overwatch that represent Diablo III classes, a new brawl map in Heroes of the Storm where players can earn a Diablo-themed portrait, and even the chance to meet a “hooded stranger” in Hearthstone, who wields a “grim” deck of cards.
Here’s the full list of promos, via Blizzard:
- Recapture the feeling of your first play through of the original Diablo with The Darkening of Tristram tribute event. Venture through a reimagined version of the original cathedral in Diablo III and keep an eye out for some familiar items.
Heroes of the Storm:
- The battle for the High Heavens continues, and a new Diablo-themed portrait is up for grabs! Can you emerge victorious on this hectic new brawl map?
- In this Tavern Brawl, a hooded stranger awaits, holding a grim deck in his hands. Will you unravel the secrets surrounding this dark wanderer?
- Bring the battle for Sanctuary into the fight for the future with in-game sprays representing your favorite Diablo III classes—along with a new player icon modeled after the Lord of Terror!
- Put the Lord of Terror to work for you with a Diablo-themed worker portrait.
World of Warcraft:
- Strange things are afoot in the world of Azeroth as denizens of Sanctuary cross over into an unfamiliar world.
In related news, Blizzard isn’t releasing a new expansion for Diablo III unfortunately, however they are readying up the classic Necromancer for a return in the game sometime next year. In case you missed it, you can read our 15 year retrospective on Diablo II, which we still regard as one of our favorite action RPGs of all time.