[UPDATE: we’ve found more footage from Famitsu, which includes Japanese voice-acting from the mechanic, Cindy. It’s been added to the pile. It appears that Cindy’s garage is part of a rest-stop, which includes a shop, where players will be able to buy items, and a trailer, where the party will be able to rest in order to level up.]
As a result of Square Enix providing hands-on demos of Episode Duscae (the FFXV demo that comes with purchases of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD), and doing a live presentation at PAX East, there’s been a lot of noise about Final Fantasy XV over the past day, but what’s actually new information? This author went through it all, and rounded it up.
Here are the newest details for Final Fantasy XV:
The latest Square Enix press release is mostly just marketing, except for the backstory provided for Episode Duscae, which gives us hints of things that haven’t been revealed yet:
When you’ve spent your entire life looking out at the serrated city skyline, it’s easy to lose yourself in the sprawling Duscaen landscape. The prince and his retinue were halfway to Cauthess when their daydreams came to a sudden, screeching halt—the Regalia’s last gasp before giving out to the unpaved backroads.
Now they were truly lost in the landscape: broken down by the side of the road with the Disc well out of walking distance. The Archaean, Titan, would have to wait. He’d been dormant for ages anyway. The first order of business was getting back on four wheels.
Square Enix held an FFXV presentation at PAX East. As the hosts of the presentation (Tabata was at his daughter’s graduation ceremony, and sent lead designers in his stead) pointed out, we haven’t been officially introduced to Noctis’ party members yet.
- Gladiolus Amicitia (the mullet) is the eldest, strongest, and most courageous of the group. He has a lot of combat training, so he’s always at the forefront of battles. He as an easy-going personality, but also has a tendency to give advice and be bossy; however, it’s only because he cares about his friends.
- Ignis Scientia (the glasses) and Noctis have known each other since childhood. Ignis wishes to be his counsel. As a result, he’s very knowledgeable and studied. In battles, he tries to protect Noctis, so he tends to stay by the Prince’s side. In Episode Duscae, he is able to Cure, and has a poisonous weapon equipped which allows him to use the Venom Strike ability. He also enjoys cooking.
- Prompto Argentum (the blond) is Noctis’ classmate. Unlike the other two friends, Prompto has no combat training, so he’s anxious and eager in battles. Prompto has a special binding technique in Episode Duscae, which makes enemies weak.
Chocobo Post Trailer
As we already know, players will need to rest up in order to “cash in” their experience points and level up, and when camping, Ignis will be able to concoct delicious dishes from materials gathered out in the field. This food will provide long-lasting buffs to the player’s party, including:
- Fresh—slight increase in attack and defense, and EXP gained
- Prime—great increase in attack and defense, and EXP gained
- Sharp—increases the critical hit rate
- Immune—negates status ailments
The PAX East presentation also revealed that there will be places outside of cities, for example camping trailers, where the party will be able to rest that don’t necessitate lighting a fire.
We’ll let you know when there’s more.