Supermassive Games took the stage at Gamescom during Sony’s conference to re-announce Until Dawn, their planned movie-like horror game. It also announced that it was moving the game from PS3 (with PS Move support) to PS4. The game has been reworked to use the Dualshock 4 controls, and utilizes a new, darker story, which features 8 friends stranded on a mountain.
Here’s a brief overview of the game’s story:
When eight friends become trapped on a remote mountain getaway gone wrong, things quickly turn sinister and they start to suspect they aren’t alone. Gripped by fear and with tensions in the group running high, you’ll be forced to make snap decisions that could mean life or death for everyone involved. Every choice you make while playing as each of the eight friends – even the seemingly trivial ones – will carve out your own unique story. With spine-tingling performances from a Hollywood cast including Hayden Panettiere (Heroes, Nashville) brought to life with the power of PlayStation 4 – your actions alone will decide who survives Until Dawn.
Due to the large amount of information to process, here’s a big list of core features:
- Gripping story – Set at an isolated mountain lodge where nothing is as it seems, 8 friends try to stay alive with a killer on the loose. Players define the relationships between the characters through dialogue and experience the night from their unique point of view. Written in collaboration with famed horror writers and directors Larry Fessenden and Graham Reznick, find out who will survive Until Dawn.
- Next gen Horror – Harnessing the power of an evolved Killzone: Shadow Fall engine, this 3rd person interactive horror will shock and horrify players thanks to its realistic graphics and edge of your seat gameplay as they navigate their way through a terrifying night. The DualShock 4 motion sensor functionality will track how still you can be whilst in hiding from Until Dawn’s fearsome terrors and the camera will capture player scares as they happen to share with friends.
- “Butterfly Effect” – Players carve their path to survival with branching story lines which mean that no two stories will be the same. Decisions, big and small, will shape each player’s unique story. Inspired by the chaos theory, the butterfly effect could make trivial split-second decisions ripple into moments of grave peril.
- Life-and-death moral dilemmas – Place yourself in impossible situations where there is no right or wrong answer. Friend or foe, live or die – make these decisions before it’s too late.
- Hollywood talent – With spine-tingling performances from a talented cast of Hollywood actors, including Hayden Panettiere (Heroes, Nashville) and Rami Malek, Until Dawn delivers credible performances that forge an emotional bond with players. This highly-charged emotional investment allows players to fear for a character’s safety and is crucial to enjoying Until Dawn.
Despite the very horror movie-esque set up and appearance, the game looks like it will certainly put you in the middle of a horror movie, and I’m sure tons of people will love that. Check out the trailer above, and let us know what you think of the new Until Dawn.