Publisher and developer Retrowave has announced Toxic Crusaders, a new beat ’em up game loosely based on cult classic slasher franchise The Toxic Avenger.
Details are scant but Toxic Avengers is launching sometime later in 2023 for Windows PC (via Steam), Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, PS4, and PS5. The game will also be playable at PAX East 2023.
Here’s a rundown on the game, plus its reveal trailer:
When the evil Dr. Killemoff attacks, only one team of hideously deformed creatures of superhuman size and strength stands between him and his plans for global pollution: the Toxic Crusaders, earth’s last, greatest and ugliest hope for survival! The hottest heroes of 1991 return for a radical, radioactive beat ’em up for a new era, featuring awesome action, crushing combos and more toxic waste than you’ll know what to do with!
IT’S CLEAN-UP TIME!
Choose from seven playable characters, including Toxie, No-Zone, Junkyard, Major Disaster and Headbanger (who would technically count as two characters if they could only agree on something) – plus, for the first time, play as Toxie’s musically “gifted” girlfriend Yvonne, and the mother of all mothers, Mrs. Junko, Toxie’s mom!
Battle across seven disgusting levels rendered in beautiful full-color pixel art as you defend Tromaville from hordes of Radiation Rangers, mutated thugs and zombie chickens. The odds might be stacked against you but with awesome powers, a winning personality and up to four-player local co-up on your side, the Smogulan Empire’s days are numbered!
STRAIGHT OUTTA TROMAVILLE!
Take a deep breath and dive deep into an action-packed, pun-filled adventure that drags you kicking and screaming through the wonderful world of Troma. Enjoy cameos from gore-filled classics such as Class of Nuke ‘Em High, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, and Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. – reimagined in the Saturday morning cartoon style that made this franchise so unforgettable!
- The triumphant return of the Toxic Crusaders, just when we needed them most!
- Pulse-pounding beat ’em up action for up to four players
- Gorgeous full-color pixel art graphics
- A stunning soundtrack that’ll make you party like it’s 1991
- Amazing comic book cutscenes featuring the voices of TeamFourStar (Dragon Ball Z Abridged)
- Seven playable characters, each with their own unique moves and powers
- Seven unique stages taking you from the streets of Tromaville to Planet Smogula and beyond!
- Surprise cameos (each more surprising than the last) from across the Troma Cinematic Universe!