The gameplay premiere for Them’s Fightin’ Herds’ new character Shanty the pirate goat will be revealed tonight.
As previously reported, the game started as a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fan project, that spun off into its own direction. Them’s Fightin’ Herds features a roster of colorful characters inspired by the popular cartoon, all designed with the help of Lauren Faust.
In addition to the usual selection of online and local versus modes, the game also features a pixel art overworld lobby system, where players can customize their characters and interact with each other. This mode also features Salt Mine, a side game that blends 2D fighting and dungeon crawlers.
Tonight the newest character to the game will have its gameplay premiere; Shanty, a goat with a pirate motif. As the game’s seventh character, not much is known at this stage, other than having a move akin to Chun Li’s Sen’enshu from Street Fighter.
You can find the Goat Reveal teaser below.
Shanty’s gameplay livestream will premiere August 14th at 3 p.m. PDT via Twitch.
EVO Online was cancelled due to multiple allegations of sexual harassment and abuse made against co-founder and CEO Joey “MrWizard” Cuellar and other prominent members of the fighting game community. Cuellar, Nairoby “Nairo” Quezada, and Richard “Keitaro” King later confessed the allegations were true.
While the developers pulled Them’s Fightin’ Herds after the allegations came to light, it is likely the reveal of Shanty would have come during the event.
You can find a rundown of the game (via Steam) below:
Them’s Fightin’ Herds is an indie fighting game featuring a cast of adorable animals designed by acclaimed cartoon producer Lauren Faust. Beneath the cute and cuddly surface, a serious fighter awaits!
- 4-Button Fighting – A (Light), B (Medium), C (Heavy), D (Magic).
- Magic System – Emphasize your character’s special abilities through a dedicated button and a unique resource.
- Enhanced Super Attack – Spend an additional bar of meter during your super for a bonus utility effect.
- Juggle Decay – An infinite-prevention system that manages combo length without imposing hard limits.
- Dynamic Music System – Rockin’ character themes adapt in the heat of the battle to make every fight feel like a clash of champions.
- Rollback Netcode – Battle across the globe with little to no input delay, all thanks to GGPO.
- Local Versus and Online Matchmaking – Play at home or fight worthy opponents on-demand.
- Tutorial and Training Modes – Learn the ropes with guided tutorials, or practice on your own with a fully-featured, data-rich training room.
- Combo and Target Challenges – Test your skills in character-specific sets of combo trials and target-smashing obstacle courses.
- Pixel Lobby – An online visual lobby system that sets players free to interact and explore in a top-down overworld with nostalgic style. Customize your avatar with cosmetic items collected through various single-player and multiplayer modes.
- Salt Mines – A unique melding of fighting game and dungeon crawl that pits Pixel Lobby players against waves of predators and each other in a contest of glory… and hats!
- Story Mode – An episodic adventure filled with exploration, narrative, minigames, and boss fights! Travel with each character in their quest to recover a magical key that will save the world of Foenum from vicious predators. Chapter 1 (starring Arizona) is available now, with subsequent chapters to be released in the months following, free of charge.