Quantcast

The Witcher 3 is Delayed Again into May 2015

the witcher 3 12-8-14-1

CD Projekt RED has announced that yet another delayed is affecting The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

The game will forgo its February 24 release into May 19th. The developer published an open letter to their fans, stating they need an extra 12 weeks to get final details corrected and to squash any remaining bugs.

“We owe you an apology,” CD Projekt RED said in the apology. “We set the release date too hastily. It’s a hard lesson, one to take to heart for the future. We know what we want to do to make Wild Hunt one of the best RPGs you will ever play. And we continue to work hard to achieve just that. So, we apologize and ask for your trust.”

You can find the letter below:

Dear Gamers,

Ever since we started working on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we knew it would be an ambitious game. We wanted, and still aim, to give you an incredible experience, an epic adventure in a vast, completely open fantasy universe.

The sheer size and complexity of The Witcher, key features of the title, have had a decisive impact on production. Now, nearing the end of our work, we see many details that need to be corrected. When we release the most important game in our studio’s history, we must be absolutely sure that we did everything we could to limit any bugs to a level that will allow you to enjoy the game thoroughly.

With this in mind, we took another look at current workloads and what they mean for the team. Even though everyone is working at full speed, we concluded that we need another 12 weeks, so we are shifting the release date of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to May 19th, 2015.

We owe you an apology. We set the release date too hastily. It’s a hard lesson, one to take to heart for the future. We know what we want to do to make Wild Hunt one of the best RPGs you will ever play. And we continue to work hard to achieve just that. So, we apologize and ask for your trust.

Thank you for the all support you show us on a daily basis. We truly do appreciate it. It has fueled us in our passion since the start and will continue to do so.

The Board of CD PROJEKT SA

In case you missed it, a new trailer was shown off for the game at this year’s Game Awards.

,

About

Owner and Publisher at Niche Gamer and Nicchiban. Outlaw fighting for a better game industry. Pronouns: Patriarch, Guido, Olive, Catholic



15 comments
  1. sanic
    sanic
    December 8, 2014 at 2:22 pm

    That’s fine with me plenty in my backlog.

  2. Greg Nieto
    Greg Nieto
    December 8, 2014 at 2:28 pm

    I have more respect for developers that push back a deadline so that they can properly ensure quality than ones that release shitty products and use their playerbase as QA.

  3. poofin
    poofin
    December 8, 2014 at 2:58 pm

    Let me be the first to say, “:(“

  4. Mike
    Mike
    December 8, 2014 at 3:10 pm

    Sure, it’s a bummer, but I’d rather they take the time to make the game as good as it can be. It’s pretty ambitious, so the extra time to work out the kinks is fine with me.

  5. Random45
    Random45
    December 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm

    Gives me a few more months to get around to building a new computer that can actually run this game at max settings. I’m pretty sure with my current computer I can run it with a mixture of medium/high settings, but Ultra is out of the question.

  6. Cy
    Cy
    December 8, 2014 at 3:31 pm

    Once again, this is why you wait to announce your game until you have it mostly finished.

  7. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    December 8, 2014 at 3:57 pm

    Delays are fine. It’s better than wrestling with bugs and cut content.

  8. DoombotBL
    DoombotBL
    December 8, 2014 at 8:19 pm

    As long as it prevents fiascos like AC Unity then I’m all for delays. It’s about releasing a finished product, it’s high time gamers learn that delays need to happen sometimes for their own benefit and that of everyone else who wants to enjoy the full experience of a AAA title can offer if given the time.

  9. darke
    darke
    December 8, 2014 at 9:02 pm

    The problem is defining “mostly finished”. It’s the classic 90/90 problem: “The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-ninety_rule

    Everything could have looked perfect, just a little polish needed for release, and then suddenly they found a fundamental problem (or problems) in testing that took significantly longer to fix then they expected.

  10. Mr0303
    Mr0303
    December 9, 2014 at 5:28 am

    As a programmer I would normally agree, but the game was announced in the beginning of February 2013.

    Compare this with Batman Arkham Knight which was also massively delayed (9 months to be exact) was announced in March 2014.

    This means they had some poor testing or not a very solid development plan – i.e. they constantly expanded the game and this introduced the possibility of new issues.

  11. darke
    darke
    December 9, 2014 at 11:05 pm

    Right, but that’s pretty standard project creep as well. Especially if development leads changed, or development priorities changed.

    As a random, off the cuff example: There’s been a big fuss lately about female leads, maybe they decided a few months ago after various fusses related to other games, that it was something they never thought about before but they should include. This would entail writing and rewriting a large chunk of content so blow out the time scale. It certainly would be an unexpected change and cause flow-on effects. This isn’t something you can plan for or test for, it’s entirely societally driven.

    No battle plan meets contact with the enemy and all that.

  12. Mr0303
    Mr0303
    December 10, 2014 at 3:59 am

    That is pure speculation.

    For over two years they won different game of the show awards and talked big game about making it better than Skyrim and yet they couldn’t predict the scope and amount of fine tuning? Come on.

  13. darke
    darke
    December 10, 2014 at 6:02 am

    So my speculation is not ok, but your’s is fine? Your guess about poor testing or lacking a solid development plan is just as speculation as mine.

    Remember what a huge cesspool of bugs Skyrim was? Maybe they discovered that being better then Skyrim means it takes an extra two years to debug. :P

  14. Mr0303
    Mr0303
    December 10, 2014 at 6:11 am

    Well my assumption is based on the delay. The ones you stated are a bit strange. It doesn’t seem reasonable to change the development leads changed, or development priorities a month or two before the supposed release. If they did this would still imply poor planning. The feminazi suggestion is even stranger. You always played as the Witcher in the previous 2 games – why would they change it now? I doubt a company like CDPR would give into SJW demands.

    “Maybe they discovered that being better then Skyrim means it takes an extra two years to debug.” I agree. Something on that scale takes time, which they should have predicted.

  15. Ricardo Lima
    Ricardo Lima
    December 13, 2014 at 10:21 am

    Three things make me fine with this one I want a polished fineshed game, I Trust CD REd more than most developers and Publishers, and too mant games to play already ;-)