Aspyr Media have announced Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse will be heading to PC and modern gaming consoles, along with a release date.
As previously reported, a leaked Xbox achievement list for the game claimed it was headed to “Xbox” on March 16th. Now, the press release (via email) confirms the details.
Launched back in 2005 for the original Xbox (and later PC and Mac), the game saw players control a recently revived zombie. Having been killed 20 years later by his girlfriend’s father, he now swears revenge against his industrialist grandson with an army of the undead.
Players pummel foes, either finishing the job or turning them into zombies. He can use his limbs and organs to create explosive, or control enemies. Stubbs also has limited control over the zombie hoard.
The press release- titled “Stubbs The Zombie Commits a Hostile Takeover of Aspyr, Eating the Brains of the Entire Company”- features a quote from Stubbs himself. He asked to be refereed to as Edward Stubblefield.
“Today, I announce my return to Aspyr as CEO, President, Founder, and Community Manager. Any rumors that I have eaten brains (especially those at Aspyr) are falsehoods, fallacies, and obviously big fat lies.”
The press release also states “When asked whether it was a remake or remaster, Stubbs shouted into the microphone, ‘Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse is the greatest zombie game of all time. It will remain flawless and unchanged!'”
The game will feature modernized controls and achievements. Some of which include the following:
- “That didn’t age well: Complete the painfully slow, forced tutorial
- I make a PP: Soil the water supply with your finely aged urine
- Get lost: We know you did”
Maggie Monday, Head of Brain Consumption at Aspyr Media also stated “mmrRrr urrrR Rrrrrr GGgRRRr ggrR rAAaAA Rrrrrr rraaaaaA UuRRr grr rRAAAAAaaa GGRR rrraAA uuuRrRrR nuurg UURRr Rrrrrr ara RAA mMMrr ORrRRRR GGgRRRRRR orR nuurg AHHhh OOrR GgRR RrRaaaa RaaaA Gggg ggGgRR nuurg AHHHH Oorr ara rrAa mRr RaAa nuurg AAaHhH UurrRrRR gGRRrRR araa mmmRrr UrrrRrRr!!”
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse launches March 16th on Windows PC (via Steam), Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One; and PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S via backwards compatibility. Pre-orders are available now.
You can find the announcement trailer, screenshots and the rundown (via emailed press release) below.
Be the Zombie. Kick Ass and Take Brains.
It’s 1959 and the city of Punchbowl, PA, is a beacon of progress and ideal living. As Stubbs the Zombie, you’ll show the living that law and order are no match for a dead man on a mission. Your boyfriend’s back, Maggie, and Punchbowl is gonna be in trouble!
- Eat Brains: Chomp on the living and replenish your bodily arsenal of zombie sputum, gut grenades, and the stunning unholy flatulence
- Build Your Zombie Horde: Convert your enemies into undead allies and lead a zombie assault on the living
- Possess Punchbowl’s Population: Clamp your severed hand to a barbershop quartet singer’s head and raygun away
- Bring Civilization to its Knees: Show the retro-futuristic city of Punchbowl, PA that they can’t escape the past
- Stubbs and Chill: Invite a friend to play as Grubbs for classic couch cooperative hijinks. (Friend not included)