Firefly Studios have announced a delay in the release date for their upcoming castle building RTS, Stronghold: Warlords.
Originally set to launch on January 26th, the game’s release has been delayed to March 9th on Windows PC via Steam. The reason for the delay was due to the Multiplayer mode not being in a state fit to release.
“We have run into some unexpected issues with it and, while we have worked very hard to resolve these with our current deadlines, we need more time to iron them out. We want to be as transparent as possible with you about this and we did consider releasing as planned, delaying Multiplayer to go live in a future update. However, as we have promised Multiplayer functionality for Stronghold: Warlords at launch for over a year now, releasing without it wouldn’t be fair to players.”
As previously reported, the classic castle-based RTS franchise goes to the Far East for the first time, and features a wide range of new units and weapons based on Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Mongol technologies from the era.
This includes the introduction of gunpowder, along with exotic weapons like hwacha fire arrow launchers, and flaming oxen. The game’s namesake comes from the new Warlord mechanic, which includes AI lords you can recruit to boost your abilities in different aspects of warfare and empire management.
You can find the rundown (via Steam) below:
For the first time ever Stronghold: Warlords allows you to recruit, upgrade and command AI lords across the battlefield in the form of in-game ‘Warlords’. Each warlord under your command boosts your strategic prowess with unique perks, characteristics and upgradeable abilities. Put them to work for your industry, fortifying borders, forging weapons or team up for a pincer attack! Each campaign mission, skirmish game and multiplayer battle means a fresh set of warlords to command and new strategic depth to discover.
The next chapter in Firefly Studios’ real-time strategy series, Stronghold: Warlords is Firefly’s first game to recreate the castle economies of the Far East. In Warlords you take command of Mongol hordes, imperial warriors and samurai clansmen as you lay siege to Japanese castles and fortified Chinese cities. Besiege historical warlords using new gunpowder-fuelled siege weapons, classic units and a completely new way to play Stronghold.
- CONQUER AND COMMAND WARLORDS across the battlefield unlocking more powerful castles, armies and abilities.
- RECRUIT NEW UNITS including imperial fire lancers, disciplined samurai, Mongolian bowmen and auxiliary laddermen.
- RELIVE HISTORICAL CAMPAIGNS from 3rd century BC China through to the rise of the Shogunate and coming of the Mongol Empire.
- RAZE YOUR ENEMIES with the arrival of gunpowder and new siege equipment such as the fire lance, siege tower and flaming ox!
- BECOME THE GREATEST LORD through fear or admiration using a range of medieval entertainment, taxation and torture.