Publisher Ziggurat Interactive and developer Poppy Works announced Slave Zero X, a biopunk prequel to the 1999-released Sega Dreamcast and PC game Slave Zero.
Slave Zero X is coming to Windows PC (via Steam and GOG) and undetermined consoles, but has no release date set at this time. It’s worth noting the original Slave Zero has since been re-ported to PC on Steam and GOG.
The dystopian 2.5D slasher has been in development for over a year in secret at Poppy Works, who are co-developing the game with Ziggurat Interactive. RWBY co-creator Miles Luna is writing the game, while the creator of indie game Devil Engine is also helping co-develop the title.
“We’re excited to take the wraps off Slave Zero X,” said Michael Devine, SVP of Business Development. “The game is a fantastic mix of fast-action, combo-heavy fighting set to a backdrop invoking a sinister mood, and we can’t wait to show off more of it in the coming months.”
Here’s a new trailer for Slave Zero X:
Here’s a rundown on the spiritual prequel:
Slave Zero X
From the top of Megacity S1-9, the Sovereign Khan rules with fists of iron and flesh. Beneath the city’s rotting foundations, a vengeful warrior embarks on a journey to murder him. 4 years prior to the events of Slave Zero, Slave Zero X brings new life to a world where horrific, living machines known as Slaves are primed to become the latest tools of war in humanity’s long and bloody history. A secret band of warriors known as The Guardians hope to stop these biomecha from being unleashed upon the world, but one swordsman among their ranks has a different idea: use the enemy’s own weapon against them. By merging with a stolen Slave Unit Prototype, Shou will become a furious Devil in pursuit of killing a false God.
- KILLER COMBOS: Use swift swordplay, explosive ordinance, and stylish combos against an army of meat and metal.
- DEATH FROM ABOVE: Air juggling, dashes, and frequent target switching allow for you to take down foes of any size while wall-jumping and platforming can help you outmaneuver your enemies.
- FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE: Conquer mini-bosses, set pieces, and climactic 1-on-1 encounters that offer intense challenges against unforgettable villains.
- STRENGTH IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL: Use the Training Room to hone precise and powerful moves to string together devastating attack sequences.
- BATTLE TO THE BEAT: A 90s-inspired soundtrack features heavy Drum’n’Bass and funky industrial music that adds to the thrill of combat.
- FEAST YOUR EYES: A unique visual aesthetic comb