Publisher Stardock Corporation and developer Ironclad Games have announced Sins of a Solar Empire 2, a sequel to the beloved 4X sci-fi strategy game that refuses to die.
Sins of a Solar Empire 2 is being developed by the original team for Windows PC and will launch on the Epic Games Store. A release date wasn’t announced at this time.
Fans can expect the new sequel to have “real-time celestial mechanics” where you have to plan your expansion and exterminating maneuvers around the behavior of celestial bodies.
All three original factions are returning with the desperate Vasari aliens, the emergent TEC humans, and the vengeful Advent post-humans. Each race will have their own unique mechanics like before, as well as new and reimagined units, “extensive” research trees, and refined “sub-factions.”
Stardock and Ironclad hype Sins of a Solar Empire 2’s new Iron Engine 3 as capable of filling your screen with “thousands” of units, from individual missiles to the massive titan class ships, all while locking in high fidelity visuals and solid framerates. This new engine will also finally address the long-bemoaned issue from the original: getting desynced and unable to rejoin long multiplayer sessions.
“We’ve enjoyed battling it out with our friends over at Ironclad Games, engaging in massive fleet battles during development,” says Brian Clair, Stardock’s Director of Publishing. “The new ways of interacting with each other and the neutral parties have created some incredible ‘I can’t BELIEVE that just happened!’ moments. Teaming up with Ironclad on this long-awaited sequel is yielding great results.”
Blair Fraser, co-owner at Ironclad Games, adds, “We really appreciate the long-term support from all our fans. They’ve been asking for years if they will ever see a successor – we can finally answer with a resounding ‘YES!’”
Here’s a rundown on the sequel:
Sins of a Solar Empire 2 info
THE NEXT INSTALLMENT FOR THE HIGHEST RATED 4X SPACE RTS GAME
Battle for galactic dominance as one of three unique races in a real-time strategy game with unrivaled scale! With splashes of 4X gameplay, you’ll explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate through military force, diplomacy, trade, cultural influence, and other underhanded tactics.
Explore the epic scale of a dynamic galaxy that changes in real-time. Expand across the galaxy, conquering, and governing new planets. Exploit available resources, using them to build more powerful ships, upgrades, and structures. Exterminate your enemies – or traitorous allies you suspect are working against you.
Sins of a Solar Empire 2 features:
- RULE A VAST SPACE EMPIRE – Explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate in a seamless blend of real-time strategy and 4X gameplay.
- LEAD ONE OF 3 RACES – Play as the desperate Vasari, emergent TEC, or the vengeful Advent each with their own unique playstyle, tech tree, and units.
- AMASS AN EPIC FLEET – Build and command thousands of high fidelity ships that are effortlessly powered by a new 64-bit multicore engine.
- DEPLOY YOUR BATTLE PLAN – Planets orbit their stars and turrets track individual missiles – a host of new mechanics opens new strategies and tactics.
- COMPETE OR COOPERATE – Up to 10 human or AI players can battle against each other via LAN or the Internet. Seamlessly rejoin games that are already in progress or save them for later.
- EXPAND YOUR UNIVERSE – From simple balance updates to full conversions, enjoy in-game library support and creation tools for all types of mods.