Publisher Auroch Digital and developer Mode 7 have announced new PlayStation, Xbox, and Switch ports for The Colonists are coming sometime in 2021.
What’s curious is the announcement only mentions “PlayStation” and “Xbox” alongside Nintendo Switch, meaning the game could be coming to previous-gen or current-gen PlayStation and Xbox platforms.
Here’s some new stuff to expect in the console version:
- New Controls: Re-designed controls from the ground up to feel natural and fun on consoles
- Controller Optimized UI: Re-imagined user interface to be more accessible for players of all types
- New Robot Hats: Some little cute touches here and there including some snazzy new robot hats (TeaBot’s hat is our favourite ☕)
Here’s a rundown on the game, via Mode 7:
The Colonists is a relaxing settlement building game inspired by classic titles like The Settlers and the Anno series.
Take on a series of individual campaign missions, play randomly generated maps, compete on player-designed creations or build your colony unfettered by any constraints in the sandbox mode.
You take control of a team of self-replicating robots built to simulate human civilisation. After escaping Earth, The Colonists are now free to roam the galaxy in search of a new home and construct their dream settlement.
You’ll advance through three different Ages as you build infrastructure for your colony by constructing road, boat and train transport systems.
Harvest natural resources, set up farming and food production, create expeditions to discover new lands and research new technologies.
With two separate mission tracks, The Colonists lets either you create sprawling settlements in peace or race to compete against AI colonies in military winner-takes-all scenarios.
Explore, research, manage, tweak and refine to your heart’s content.
An extensive map editor and Steam Workshop support is included, so you can create, share and play custom maps.
- Campaign: 14 missions split into separate peaceful and military tracks
- Random Maps: Play on a near-infinite amount of procedurally generated maps
- Sandbox Mode: Customise various game settings to play the game how you like
- Steam Workshop: Play hundreds of player-generated custom maps
- Frontiers: Play and compete for the best time in a brand new map every month
- Challenge Trophies: Special speed-run challenges which test the most expert colony builders
- Map Editor: create, play and share your own maps