Insomniac Games have released a new gameplay trailer for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart; highlighting the weapons and traversal abilities of the game.
As previously reported, recurring villain Dr. Nefarious has obtained the Dimensionator; and in the ensuing battle becomes damaged. This begins to tear the fabric of reality apart; separating Ratchet and Clank. They are sent into a dimension where “Emperor Nefarious” succeeded in his goals, and female Lombax Rivet is part of the resistance.
While the Zurkon family have served as an ally-summoning weapon in past games, they are now the weapons vendors in Rift Apart. The new gameplay trailer by Zurkon Jr.- voiced by the unmistakable Richard Steven Horvitz (Raz in Psychonauts, Orthopox Destroy All Humans!, and numerous cartoons) introduces the weapons and traversal abilities.
Among the listed weapons we see the Burst Pistol, Shatterbomb, Mr. Fungi, Topiary Sprinkler, and Drillhound. We also see the return of the Buzz Blades in action, along with the Blackhole Storm, The Enforcer, Lightning Rod, Cold Snap, Ricochet, and Negatron Collider.
As previously reported, each weapon not only has multiple firing modes depending on how far the triggers are pushed, but haptic feedback to make you feel every shot in the Dualsense controller.
As seen in prior trailers [1, 2], Ratchet can use his Rift Tether to pull himself through dimensional portals around the level, but into pocket dimensions, and onto other planets entire levels with no loading times (thanks to the PlayStation 5 SSD).
Both Ratchet and Rivet can also dash in combat to dodge enemy attacks. It seems this will have a large number of invincibility frames, as Zurkon Jr. explains the Phantom Dash causes them to “temporarily cease existing.”
You can find the Weapons & Traversal trailer below
You can find the full rundown (via PlayStation) below.
Blast your way through an interdimensional adventure.
Go dimension-hopping with Ratchet and Clank as they take on an evil emperor from another reality. Jump between action-packed worlds, and beyond at mind-blowing speeds – complete with dazzling visuals and an insane arsenal – as the intergalactic adventurers blast onto the PS5™ console.
The intergalactic adventurers are back with a bang in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.
- An evil robotic emperor is working overtime to wipe out organic life, with Ratchet and Clank’s own dimension next in his sights. You’ll need to dust off the dynamic pair’s outrageous weaponry and stop a dimensional collapse in its tracks.
- Blast your way home with an arsenal of explosive new weapons, including the Burst Pistol, Topiary Sprinkler and the Shatterbomb. Zip above cityscapes, boost into combat and slip through dimensions with physics-defying new gadgets.
- Unite the double team supreme with a cast of familiar allies and new faces – including an all-new Lombax resistance fighter who is just as determined to take out the robotic scourge.
- Play as Ratchet and as the mysterious new female Lombax from another dimension.
- Discover Clank’s all-new interdimensional mechanics.
- Enjoy a visually dazzling interdimensional adventure fuelled by the mind-blowing speed and immersive features of the PlayStation®5 console. Built from the ground up by acclaimed studio Insomniac Games, you’ll go beyond what you see with in-game actions coming to life in your hands via the DualSense™ wireless controller.
Travel in style
- Experience the intergalactic shuffle of dimensional rifts as they combine new worlds and gameplay. Warp across battlefields to rapidly gain your combat advantage and repair planetary rifts with dimension-spanning puzzles.
- Visit never-before-seen planets and see alternate dimension versions of old favourites, now more alive than ever with exotic flora and fauna thanks to the power of the PlayStation®5 console.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart launches June 11th on PlayStation 5.