Publisher Bethesda Softworks and developer id Software have confirmed the original Quake got an official horde mode, via a large new update this week.
Quake got an official horde mode as part of the remaster’s big Update 2, which also brings with it a bunch of quality-of-life improvements, bug fixes, and other new content.
Players can expect horde mode to allow up to four players to fight off waves of enemies and bosses, solo with bots or cooperatively with other players. The new mode spans four new maps, all of which have been tailored for the new mode. The new update also adds a “Honey” add-on, which adds more new maps like underground temples and crypts to the game.
Here’s a rundown on the new mode:
Quake Got an Official Horde ModeOverview
- All new multiplayer PvE experience designed by MachineGames
- Supports 1 – 4 players or bots in local multiplayer and online modes (Custom matches only)
- Playable on all difficulty levels
- Includes 4 new maps specifically designed for Horde ModeRules
- Score points by killing enemies
- Kill multiple enemies in quick succession for bonus points
- Your progression is reset after the last player dies
- Every 3rd wave has boss monsters but once you clear it, you get a Silver key to unlock more weapons and items
- After the 9th wave, you get a gold key to unlock the exit, or you can keep fighting as long as you are able
- Monsters have a chance of dropping quad damage and the pentagram of protection (powerups last for 5 seconds once picked up and despawn if not picked up after 10 seconds)
Here’s a new trailer for the Quake horde mode:
Quake and the Quake remaster have been available since August 2021 on Windows PC (via Steam and now the Epic Games Store, Xbox One (via the Xbox Store), and PlayStation 4 (via the PlayStation Store), and Nintendo Switch (via the eShop). Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 versions are coming soon as a free upgrade.
The game is also on Xbox Game Pass. In case you missed it, you can find our thorough review for the remaster here – we absolutely recommend it!